Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchase a 2014 Versys and ask that it be lowered. The rear was dropped about 1.5 inches. The front was not dropped. I would have assumed both ends would have been lowered. Is there any reason the dealer would not lower the front and back on a new sale?

·
Premium Member
16,251 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,251 Posts
The front was not dropped. I would have assumed both ends would have been lowered. Is there any reason the dealer would not lower the front and back on a new sale?
#1 Maybe they didn't feel it was needed..

#2 Cutting Corners..

#3 Lazy..

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think the lowering kit may help after this weekend's ride. I'm 5'11" with a 30" inseam so touching the ground is not too much of a problem. But I am looking for a less harsh ride, lower center of gravity for those highway rides. So I am a little confused about the options listed in this thread. From what I can see the rear lowering kit (e.g. Speedy's) seems to be the way to go but what options should I look to do for the front? Or do I really need to do any front changes until I see what the rear lower kit does for me?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
It's quite a bit more change, but you can replace the rear parts with Progressive Suspension parts. I THINK they also make a setup to lower the front.

·
Registered
873 Posts
You can lower the front very easily. (4) easy to get at bolts. On mine I marked the original position on the fork with a sharpie in case I wanted to set it back to stock. The service manual says it's 21 ft/lbs torque on these bolts. Section 13-10. Try it, you can always go back and it doesn't cost anything.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You can lower the front very easily. (4) easy to get at bolts. On mine I marked the original position on the fork with a sharpie in case I wanted to set it back to stock. The service manual says it's 21 ft/lbs torque on these bolts. Section 13-10. Try it, you can always go back and it doesn't cost anything.

So should I do this in addition to the rear work (lowering kit or progressive suspension) or just by itself?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I think lowering the front alone will mess with the handling.
If you lower the front only, that will reduce the trail and possibly make the bike unstable. Tank slappers could be a possibility.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have the Motowerk Lowering Kit and the dealer also lowered the front. I have since put 2100 miles on the bike with no ill effects. I am 100% street and have the rear shock set in the middle of the adjustment clicks. I weight 230 lbs and the bike handles great.

2010 Versys

·
Registered
873 Posts
So should I do this in addition to the rear work (lowering kit or progressive suspension) or just by itself?

You did say the rear has already been lowered right. The front does not go as far down as the rear kit, but it's close enough.
I lowered the front to keep the bike closer to stock level and look. However, thinking about Weljo and keeping his front end up. I wonder if that helped with the forward slide we get from the stock seats?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Thank you all. I'll work with the rear suspension. I need a winter project and the progressive suspension might be a good option.

I am considering the 1" lower Progressive shock (and lowering the front end 3/4"). I noticed that the internet price on this shock fluctuates by $100 or so, over time. It's availability also appears to vary. I am in monitoring mode at this point. At the same time, I'm half considering trading my V in for a FZ-07 or a FZ-09. A new shock on the V would be a waste if I do this. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
873 Posts
Check out this months issue of Cycle World. They have a write up on both the FZ-7 and FZ-9. Basically they love them except for the suspension could be better. Sounds familiar. The FZ-7 caught my eye too.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I am considering the 1" lower Progressive shock (and lowering the front end 3/4"). I noticed that the internet price on this shock fluctuates by $100 or so, over time. It's availability also appears to vary. I am in monitoring mode at this point. At the same time, I'm half considering trading my V in for a FZ-07 or a FZ-09. A new shock on the V would be a waste if I do this. :rolleyes:

Yeah I am in that same mode if I add more to my 2011 V or hold out on the 2015 V1000.

·
Registered
944 Posts
The shock swap or Motowerk kit are both easy jobs, and easily reversed. If you were gonna trade your bike later on the parts would easy to sell on this forum. It's pretty low risk to give it a try.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The shock swap or Motowerk kit are both easy jobs, and easily reversed. If you were gonna trade your bike later on the parts would easy to sell on this forum. It's pretty low risk to give it a try.
That's what I was thinking if I want to revert I could probably sell either item. Motowerk kit looks simple to install. Wasn't too sure about the shock swap but doesn't seem too difficult either.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
in both cases you have to support the frame with the rear tire off the ground, then pull the lower bolt for the shock. Then you either install the link or pull the upper bolt for the shock and swap it out. If you have the tools to do one, you can do the other.

·
Registered
110 Posts
in both cases you have to support the frame with the rear tire off the ground, then pull the lower bolt for the shock. Then you either install the link or pull the upper bolt for the shock and swap it out. If you have the tools to do one, you can do the other.

Yes I have read that in both the Motowerk instructions and in this forum.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts