Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those who have chosen not to cut the sidestand and used a different one (i.e. a ER-6N or Ninja 650R) did you have to replace the whole spring mechanism or just the stand it self?

Ordered my lowering link from Speedy's today and just trying to get the sidestand information sorted so I can get cracking when it gets here.

Also it looks like the ER-6N and 650R use the same stand. Not sure which to order or if it doesn't matter.

the ER-6n has a part number on Bike Bandit as 34024 and the 650R is 34024/A from Kawasaki. Yet the spring and the bolts are all the same except for the fact the ER and 650 both seem to use a sleeve on the spring and the Versys does not.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went to the dealer and measured the versys side stand and the ninja 650.

Difference is a little more than an inch. So I should be able to get EXTREMELY close to the lean angle of the stock with the lowering kit. Now its all about waiting for parts.

·
Registered
36 Posts
ER6n stand will work

When I put lowering kit on I used an ER6n sidestand. All you need is the sidestand. The Versys spring and bolts work fine. If you buy the ER6n sidestand you will need a ER6n Flatfoot, the versys flatfoot will not work. I asked Speedy before I ordered.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I simply orderred the foot from Speedy and cut my V sidestand. Real easy, if you have someone sit on the bike to keep it level as you cut with a metal handsaw. Cut it as close to the length Speedy tells you to so bike will lean at a good angle, not too straight, not too leaning left.

Cost of metal hand saw with blade I'm guessing under $5.00 if you do not own one nor able to borrow one.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My kickstand is quite loose. Is that normal? After it touches the ground, it shifts a little before settling on the ground. I have a lowered V, Speedy flat foot, but full length stand... I'm wondering if the previous owner loosened it to allow it to lean more instead of shortening the stand, or if that's normal.

·
Registered
255 Posts
filbert,

NOT normal. A loose kickstand, no matter what part is not normal, and an invitation to bike falling over at some time, some place. Go to any bike shop and have it checked over. Maybe just needs retorqued or has cracked/broken piece.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
It is normal to be able to tilt stock sidestand out by about 1.25" the tip when it's down. (About 1" with shorter sidestand) The spring pulls it back if it's not on the ground... You can pull it out with your foot when you park it on the sidestand, to have it settled that way.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Filbert - When I installed my flat foot a couple weeks ago I did not have it properly aligned and the leading edge was kind of digging in and not allowing it to sit flat. This kept the sidestand from properly extending. I loosed it and made some minor adjustments to get it to sit flat. I'll attach a couple pics of what worked best for me.

I also started to take an "inexpensive" route, but went ahead with the flat foot.
I am glad I did that. The flat foot is great for me as I park on grass/dirt as well as asphalt everyday.

Attachments

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Once my lowering kit is on and I have the sidestand properly flat I'm going to add the flatfoot. For temp use I have a "puck" I made... its a crushed soda can all nice and flat with a rubber grip stapled to the bottom.

It's always in my back jacket pocket in a washcloth. So its readily accessible

1 - 11 of 11 Posts