Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Second post here. Lowered the V with the MotoWerk kit and installed there lowered foot peg kit too. Installation was easy enough, the parts had no flaws and look good too. Me knees are happier and the ride height fits my stature much better.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Second post here. Lowered the V with the MotoWerk kit and installed there lowered foot peg kit too. Installation was easy enough, the parts had no flaws and look good too. Me knees are happier and the ride height fits my stature much better.
Be sure to adjust your chain, if you already haven't.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did check the adjustment and what i think is the tightest section of the chain. It was just slightly over one inch. It's my first motorcycle so I am not completely sure i'm doing it correctly. The sales man checked it before i took the bike, he said the chain was slightly on the tight side due to the initial stretch or wear associated with a new chain. Not sure if that is normal practice or not. I'll do some more research and recheck before I ride again. Thanks saddlebag.
:cheers:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Nice job. A lot to tackle for your first bike, right away. I assume you raised the forks as well, and it looks like you have the Motowerk insert in the kickstand.
I'll be doing the same this coming weekend...

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I did check the adjustment and what i think is the tightest section of the chain. It was just slightly over one inch. It's my first motorcycle so I am not completely sure i'm doing it correctly. The sales man checked it before i took the bike, he said the chain was slightly on the tight side due to the initial stretch or wear associated with a new chain. Not sure if that is normal practice or not. I'll do some more research and recheck before I ride again. Thanks saddlebag.
:cheers:
When the bike is on its sidestand, you should have 1.5" of slack or play in your chain, on the lower run, mid-way between sprockets.

When I lowered my V, it took ALL the slack out of my chain, so I had to re adjust the chain quite a bit.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Didn't wait til the weekend... Had all the parts, so went ahead and lowered the bike, raised the forks, cut up the kickstand and installed the insert, and re-tensioned the chain...

Took it for a test run... and it didn't disappoint -- all upside... Very impressed with the tight tolerances on Speedy's products.
*Now* the bike's perfect (until the next farkle -- probably the Doubletronics headlight 'fix.'

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey trialsguy thanks for that info, just what i needed. I'll check it as soon as I get a chance.:thumb:

·
Registered
210 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is my first post. The new members page only post rules is quite irritating. I just picked up a 2015. I was told by the dealer you can't lower these yet because they don't have any lowering kits for them yet. Is that true?

·
Registered
596 Posts
This is my first post. The new members page only post rules is quite irritating. I just picked up a 2015. I was told by the dealer you can't lower these yet because they don't have any lowering kits for them yet. Is that true?
Check out motowerk.com I think Speedy may have a link for the 2015. Not sure, but if he does, it'll be on his website.

·
Registered
210 Posts
And another dealer leads a buyer astray...
Mine's a 2015, and I just lowered it with Speedy's kit (Motowerk). The 2015 kit is anodized black. Pre-2015 is silver (I assume we're talking the 650):

http://shop.motowerk.com/Lowering-Kit-for-2015-Versys-650-KV650LT-LK151-BLK.htm

·
Registered
15 Posts
Lowered too

I lowered the 650 for my son too. I was surprised how tall the bike is for a 650. I was flat footed at 6'2 but my son was on his tip toes at 5'9. The motorwerk kit was a snap. Installed in 30 minutes. ALso did the motorwerk kit for the kickstand. Nothing like taking a sawsall to a brand new bike and lopping off the bottom of the kick stand. LOL. Worked out great though. Fits him perfect now!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the replies!

I lowered the 650 for my son too. I was surprised how tall the bike is for a 650. I was flat footed at 6'2 but my son was on his tip toes at 5'9. The motorwerk kit was a snap. Installed in 30 minutes. ALso did the motorwerk kit for the kickstand. Nothing like taking a sawsall to a brand new bike and lopping off the bottom of the kick stand. LOL. Worked out great though. Fits him perfect now!
I'm not too mechanically inclined. I'd say about average or below. Would I have an issue with this, or should I just take it to the dealer?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks for the replies!

I'm not too mechanically inclined. I'd say about average or below. Would I have an issue with this, or should I just take it to the dealer?
If you follow the install instructions exactly, and assuming you have the right tools, you should be fine. Take your time, no need to rush this... Make sure you have 17mm, 19mm, 27mm sockets, open and crescent wrenches (or pairs of the 17 and 19), 10mm crescent, car scissor jack (to take the pressure off the rear shock), 6mm hex for the front fork pinch/cap bolts, and a roto-zip or sawzall, with a metal cut-off blade for the kickstand. You'll also need some blue (medium strength) loctite. Oh... and a good torque wrench *always* helps...

Remember you have four different processes to complete: install the lowering kit; raise the front forks; cut down the kickstand; and re-tension the chain, because lowering the bike will take the slack out of it... None of it is rocket science, and Speedy's instructions are exact.

Couple of hours for everything...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm an I.T. guy. I fix PCs and servers and such. I'm moderately mechanical inclined but not a mechanic. I can change my own oil and other minor servicing needs. The lowering kit was IMO an easy install. Instructions were good.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts