Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The oil pressure warning lamp is coming on sporadically on my '13 V. I've got just under 2,000 miles and the last oil change was done at the dealership during initial service. Its still under warranty so I'll be taking it back to the dealership. Is there anything specific I should request? If they cant find a problem should I request a new oil sensor? I'm worried they wont find the problem since the lamp only comes on occasionally. Seems like you have to ride it about an hour for it to come on sometimes.

Also, is my high temp warning light supposed to come on when starting the bike? I thought it used to come on when I turn the ignition to "run" but I might just be remembering my old KLX, which all the warning lamps come on during start-up.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Sounds you have an electrical gremlin :eek: Maybe just a loose connector in the harness. Is your oil level within the marks when the bike is upright?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Oil was changed at 500 miles during initial service. Or at least it was supposed to be....

I was just about to change it again but since this started happening I decided to leave it alone so I would have total deniability.

When bike is upright, oil is between the lines on the glass. Maybe a little closer to the top.

The only aftermarket stuff is my pannier racks. I don't think unplugging the harness for the brake light and blinkers would be causing this.

I think you need to ride the bike about an hour for the light to come on, but I really don't want to try this out because it can be hard to get home.

·
Registered
8,048 Posts
It could be a bad or contaminated oil pressure switch.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9909

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19718

From the service manual:

Oil Pressure Warning System Inspection

•Do the 1st step test.
○Turn the ignition switch ON.
If the oil pressure warning indicator light (LED) [A] is lit, go to the 2nd step.
If the oil pressure warning indicator light (LED) is not lit, go to the 3rd step.

•Do the 2nd step test.
○Check the oil pressure switch connections (see Switch Inspection).
If the oil pressure switch connections is good, go to the 4th step.

•Do the 3rd step test.
○Disconnect the oil pressure switch lead [A] (see Oil pressure Switch Removal in the Engine Lubrication System chapter).
○Ground the oil pressure switch lead to the engine, using an auxiliary wire .
If the oil pressure warning indicator light (LED) is lit, check the oil pressure switch connections (see Switch Inspection).
If the oil pressure warning indicator light (LED) is not lit, check the oil pressure warning indicator light (LED) (see Meter Unit Inspection) and wiring (see wiring diagram in this section).
If the oil pressure warning indicator light (LED) and wiring are good, replace the delay unit (see Oil Pressure Warning Indicator Light (LED) Delay Unit Removal).

•Do the 4th step test.
○Disconnect the oil pressure switch lead [A] (see Oil pressure Switch Removal in the Engine Lubrication System chapter).
○Ground the oil pressure switch lead to the engine, using an auxiliary wire .
○The oil pressure warning indicator light (LED) should be lit.
○Disconnect the auxiliary lead from the engine.
If the oil pressure warning indicator light (LED) goes off, go to the 5th step.
If the oil pressure warning indicator light (LED) does not go off, replace the delay unit (see Oil Pressure Warning Indicator Light (LED) Delay Unit Removal).

•Do the 5th step test.
○Ground the oil pressure switch lead to the engine, then the oil pressure warning indicator light (LED) should be lit with a delay.
○Measure the this delay time from grounding of the switch lead to lighting of the warning indicator light (LED).

Lighting Delay Time
Standard: About 3 seconds
If the lighting delay time is the standard, inspect the oil pressure (see Oil Pressure Measurement in the Engine Lubrication System chapter).
If the lighting delay time is out of the standard too far, replace the delay unit (see Oil Pressure Warning Indicator Light (LED) Delay Unit Removal).

·
Registered
643 Posts
My '09 did that when new. It went away by itself. I still have a new sensor I bought. Not recommending that you ignore problem, just my experience. At the time, it was a problem occasionally mentioned on this forum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts