Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I recently acquired a white 2008 Versys 650 with 60k miles for $3000. It has all the upgrades installed such as engine guard, barkbusters, luggage cases, windscreen riser, and upgraded suspension, and more. So far I am loving the way it rides and handles although my feet barely reach the floor when seating straight on it. This bike is so much fun to ride that I have decided to not even store it for winter this year and just ride it whenever possible. I sold my vulcan nomad 1500fi to get this one because it is much lighter and easier to ride here in NYC traffic. I already realized this is not the easiest motorcycle to work on though. I changed the spark plugs and oh man what a job to remove all the fearings and tank to get to it was, but this allowed me to check that everything looked well down there and cleaned filter as well. I wanted to ask a couple of questions and maybe someone can help enlighten me. Was the color white an option or was mine repainted? It looks great love the color but just wondering. Also, i have never had this type of shocks you see in the picture installed on any of the bikes I have owned. The brand is Ohlins. It says it is nitrogen filled and adjustable and also the same brand adjustable forks are installed on it. What are the benefits, if any, of this particular shock? Would i be able to maybe lower it a bit so I can reach better the ground? Thank you all.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Motorcycle

Tire Automotive tire Plant Motor vehicle Automotive design

Motor vehicle Hood Product Car Automotive design

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Bicycle wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
295 Posts
Sweet ride. Ohlins is one of the best shocks in the world. I am envious. Also white was not a option, but it would look great. Can we have a picture of the whole bike please?

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300; 14/46 sprockets (stock);
124 Posts
Welcome! Good luck with the bike!

Reactions: Frandy19

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sweet ride. Ohlins is one of the best shocks in the world. I am envious. Also white was not a option, but it would look great. Can we have a picture of the whole bike please?
Will post pictures soon because right now there is too much snow around the shed where I keep it. It is great to hear the shocks are of good reputation.

·
Registered
2021 Versys-X 300 2021 Z900RS
86 Posts
Welcome, I had an 09 Versys 650, I loved that bike; sold it when I moved to the Philippines. I now have a Versys-X 300.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Those Ohlins are a serious, and expensive, upgrade over stock. You will really feel the difference if you have someone set them up for your weight. That‘s where the adjustability comes into play. Considering where you live, and the conditions of the roads, you’ll probably want it set up a little soft. IMO it would be hard to find a better bike for riding in an urban setting. Congratulations and enjoy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those Ohlins are a serious, and expensive, upgrade over stock. You will really feel the difference if you have someone set them up for your weight. That‘s where the adjustability comes into play. Considering where you live, and the conditions of the roads, you’ll probably want it set up a little soft. IMO it would be hard to find a better bike for riding in an urban setting. Congratulations and enjoy.
Thank you very much for your input. Yes after doing a bit of research on these shocks i realized they are a very expensive upgrade even the forks are also very expensive compared ro stock. I guess i got a good deal on the bike despite the high mileage. I guess i will have to take it to a local dealer to see if they can help me personalize the suspension. I do all the work myself on my bikes but i guess they will maybe have special tools to set it up correctly.

·
Registered
2013 v650
331 Posts
Have you looked into a lowering link? They work with the stock shock and should work with your aftermarket shock as well. At 5'6" it allows me to flat foot my gen 2. Look into motor werks for the lowering links and other accessories.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you looked into a lowering link? They work with the stock shock and should work with your aftermarket shock as well. At 5'6" it allows me to flat foot my gen 2. Look into motor werks for the lowering links and other accessories.
Thanks for the info.. i will first take it to the local dealership when the snow fully melts here in NY and get the suspension adjusted according to my weight like someone else here recommended and then I will look into it. I am also about your height and would like to eventually be able to reach the ground and be able to move the bike around easier.

·
Premium Member
10,300 Posts
When was the valve shim done ? And Welcome from Canada - that shock is $$$$$$$$ and top of the line.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When was the valve shim done ? And Welcome from Canada - that shock is $$$$$$$$ and top of the line.
That is one of the things i have to look into once spring arrives as I have no idea when it was last done. The bike looks like it was well taken care of but these things are important to get get it done for a long lasting life. With 60k miles on it i am sure it was done at some point because engine does not make any valve noises.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello all. I recently acquired a white 2008 Versys 650 with 60k miles for $3000. It has all the upgrades installed such as engine guard, barkbusters, luggage cases, windscreen riser, and upgraded suspension, and more. So far I am loving the way it rides and handles although my feet barely reach the floor when seating straight on it. This bike is so much fun to ride that I have decided to not even store it for winter this year and just ride it whenever possible. I sold my vulcan nomad 1500fi to get this one because it is much lighter and easier to ride here in NYC traffic. I already realized this is not the easiest motorcycle to work on though. I changed the spark plugs and oh man what a job to remove all the fearings and tank to get to it was, but this allowed me to check that everything looked well down there and cleaned filter as well. I wanted to ask a couple of questions and maybe someone can help enlighten me. Was the color white an option or was mine repainted? It looks great love the color but just wondering. Also, i have never had this type of shocks you see in the picture installed on any of the bikes I have owned. The brand is Ohlins. It says it is nitrogen filled and adjustable and also the same brand adjustable forks are installed on it. What are the benefits, if any, of this particular shock? Would i be able to maybe lower it a bit so I can reach better the ground? Thank you all. View attachment 185286
View attachment 185283
View attachment 185284
View attachment 185285
Hello all. I recently acquired a white 2008 Versys 650 with 60k miles for $3000. It has all the upgrades installed such as engine guard, barkbusters, luggage cases, windscreen riser, and upgraded suspension, and more. So far I am loving the way it rides and handles although my feet barely reach the floor when seating straight on it. This bike is so much fun to ride that I have decided to not even store it for winter this year and just ride it whenever possible. I sold my vulcan nomad 1500fi to get this one because it is much lighter and easier to ride here in NYC traffic. I already realized this is not the easiest motorcycle to work on though. I changed the spark plugs and oh man what a job to remove all the fearings and tank to get to it was, but this allowed me to check that everything looked well down there and cleaned filter as well. I wanted to ask a couple of questions and maybe someone can help enlighten me. Was the color white an option or was mine repainted? It looks great love the color but just wondering. Also, i have never had this type of shocks you see in the picture installed on any of the bikes I have owned. The brand is Ohlins. It says it is nitrogen filled and adjustable and also the same brand adjustable forks are installed on it. What are the benefits, if any, of this particular shock? Would i be able to maybe lower it a bit so I can reach better the ground? Thank you all. View attachment 185286
View attachment 185283
View attachment 185284
View attachment 185285
View attachment 185283
View attachment 185284
View attachment 185285
Here are some extra pictures i took of my new ride. As you can see the bags are off the bike at the moment. That black cover / shed is where I keep it. My other bike now stays outside sorryyy lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice looking bike. I hope you enjoy it. It looks like the previous owner raised the front of your seat. This is a popular mod, but may help you to put it back to stock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice looking bike. I hope you enjoy it. It looks like the previous owner raised the front of your seat. This is a popular mod, but may help you to put it back to stock.
Yes thanks, really enjoyed it for some time until recently because of really cold weather the last few days. I did remove the extra washers and hardware the previous owner installed to elevate the front of the seat a bit but after i put back to its original way the seat I guess got bent or something because it just wouldn't go into place and lock so maybe when i try next time I put something heavy on top of the seat to see if it would take back its original shape and lock into plave. PO said he did it because without that mod he would slide forward everytime he came to a stop.

·
Registered
2021 Versys 650 LT
9 Posts
Not sure I would trust a dealer to set up the suspension. I would talk to them first and make sure they know what they're doing. Setting sag isn't that hard and there's lots of info out there. Even installing a lowering link is quite doable at home.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
20,923 Posts
...Setting sag isn't that hard and there's lots of info out there....
Basically what you do to "set your sag" is set your shock so that it's NOT at the end of its range, the amount depending on your weight, etc.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts