Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i finally have enough miles on the bike to go above 4k rpm. the bike is very nimble filtering in the sf bay area traffic. it's also the quietest bike i've ridden in 200k+ miles. what is going to make me smile loud exhaust. i'd like a life changing experience for the prius drivers. i hate to spend the money but lights and noise seem to be working for me. i typically don't use the db killers except once a few years back because i felt so bad for my neighbors every morning at 4:30.

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
Or just add a better horn - I use the WOLO Bad Boy from Harbor-Freight. (The pic is of a Stebel Nautilus that failed, and was replaced by the WOLO which looks identical!)

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I agree with fasteddie. Add a loud horn that you can use when the need arises, rather than a loud exhaust that is loud constantly. The result is generally irritated non-riders, plus hearing loss and headaches for the operator. Quality hearing aids are much more costly than after market pipes. I wonder how I know?

The adage that "loud pipes save lives" is a bogus justification perpetuated by riders who just want loud pipes because it makes them somehow cooler or more manly. Of course that's merely my opinion developed over some 50 plus years of riding both loud and relatively quiet machines. Your mileage may vary. Batteries not included. Some assembly required. 0:):wink2:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Not everyone wants to listen to a sewing machine all day long. Myself included.
There are some options out there. I run Ixil on my bike. Gives the exhaust note a little deeper growl.
Nothing obnoxious or popping on decel. I still have the OEM in the garage if I ever want to change it back.
My T-rex Center Stand also fits with the aftermarket exhaust. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with fasteddie. Add a loud horn that you can use when the need arises, rather than a loud exhaust that is loud constantly. The result is generally irritated non-riders, plus hearing loss and headaches for the operator. Quality hearing aids are much more costly than after market pipes. I wonder how I know?

The adage that "loud pipes save lives" is a bogus justification perpetuated by riders who just want loud pipes because it makes them somehow cooler or more manly. Of course that's merely my opinion developed over some 50 plus years of riding both loud and relatively quiet machines. Your mileage may vary. Batteries not included. Some assembly required. 0:):wink2:
i prefer both. living in a state with legal lane splitting through what is typically sluggish commute traffic i will say without a doubt people do here a loud pipe. come to the bay area and follow a screaming eagle up the east shore freeway at 4:30 in the afternoon and you will be glad he's in front.

i agree with the saving lives part. riding safely keeps me alive. i have probably close to 240,000 bay area commute miles in the last 10 years. even riding safely hasn't kept me from bouncing between tech buses and blind cagers. but i'm still here and still riding. i'm hoping to get 80k+ miles in the next 4 years out of the 2018 versys i just bought. it has a great following and forum.

now all we need is a politics forum.....

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not everyone wants to listen to a sewing machine all day long. Myself included.
There are some options out there. I run Ixil on my bike. Gives the exhaust note a little deeper growl.
Nothing obnoxious or popping on decel. I still have the OEM in the garage if I ever want to change it back.
My T-rex Center Stand also fits with the aftermarket exhaust. Good luck with your search.
did you use any tuner device or just the exhaust? i ordered the ixil today. luckily the neighbor who's going to appreciate the 4:30 am wake up noise is a douche. :wink2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts