Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lost a rear on the S10 at over 100mph. Interesting to go full lock in the steering out of the blue!

Kept her upright. There is a puncture in the tire so must have hit a nail or something.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Good skills. A sphincter tightening moment. :grin2:

Reactions: Kyle E

·
Premium Member
16,198 Posts
Rub some Lexol on the seat to get rid of the butt pucker marks on it...:grin2::grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Didn't that ad say needs new tire soon? ;)

Man! 100 mph! Could have been bad!
No, in fact it came with 2 set of tires! I had wanted to keep the spare set of Mitas 07's for this winter and some off roading trips. But guess Ill blow through them this summer.

Rub some Lexol on the seat to get rid of the butt pucker marks on it...:grin2::grin2::grin2:

It got the pulse going a bit, but I tend to get calm in situations like this. All I could think was... "oh asshole you're just running to the store for 5 mins to get a screw you don't need a jacket RIGHT RIGHT RIGHT????"

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the Versys put a screw in the rear tire of the s10 to get back at me for not riding it all week.... Bought the sucker a battery tender and everything and it goes and does this to me!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Ride Em cowboy!

Nice job Kyle.

I had a rear go down but was only going about 30. It show do make her go squirrely.

Glad you kept it on the rubber.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Didn't that ad say needs new tire soon? <a href="http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Wink" >:)</a>

Man! 100 mph! Could have been bad!
No, in fact it came with 2 set of tires! I had wanted to keep the spare set of Mitas 07's for this winter and some off roading trips. But guess Ill blow through them this summer.

Rub some Lexol on the seat to get rid of the butt pucker marks on it.../forums/images/KawasakiVersysForum_2015/smilies/tango_face_grin.png/forums/images/KawasakiVersysForum_2015/smilies/tango_face_grin.png/forums/images/KawasakiVersysForum_2015/smilies/tango_face_grin.png

It got the pulse going a bit, but I tend to get calm in situations like this. All I could think was... "oh asshole you're just running to the store for 5 mins to get a screw you don't need a jacket RIGHT RIGHT RIGHT????"
Heading to the store to get a scew and you pick one up on the way. What a coincident.

I sure was glad for TPMS on my concours. It alerted me of decreased pressure before the bike would havr gotten squirrely so I was abke to pull over and get it on the center stand before it went totally flat.

·
Super Moderator
19,458 Posts
THAT was way-y-y less drama than I was expecting!

I had a rear start deflating a few years ago in AZ (at highway speeds), and it was rather exciting, but I got over, and stopped before it was totally flat.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Pretty sure that seat is going to have a permanent pucker mark on it, good job saving it. Also a tribute to the stability of the S10, a lot of bikes would've probably gone into a tank slapper

·
Registered
395 Posts
So, how does a bike behave when the rear tire blows out. Does it just start wallowing back and forth like the video shows, or was it more pronounced and you were able to react and keep it in a straight line? Also, I am assuming rear brakes are a big NoNo in this situation?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, how does a bike behave when the rear tire blows out. Does it just start wallowing back and forth like the video shows, or was it more pronounced and you were able to react and keep it in a straight line? Also, I am assuming rear brakes are a big NoNo in this situation?

I was driving in a straight line and instantly I was at "full lock" on the handle bars with the rear end sideways Just hung with it kept the front tire going straight and tried to bring the rear end back under me without over correcting, then stepped out again a few more times. If I would have had a hand off the bars, changing the music or something, I would have 100% lost it on the first slide.

Honestly the worst part was when it went from going right while I was still in the lane, to going left and right when I got below 50 mph or so in the emergency lane. Thats when I came close to loosing it. I was anticipating the right and it went the other way

I touched no brakes at all till just at the very end. Just got off the throttle and tired to keep it going straight.

Situations like this are very rare. Normally you get some wobble out of a deflating tire and know to get over ASAP. This was a blowout where I lost all pressure without warning.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yowza! That is some scary stuff. Great job maintaining control though. Glad you made it out unscathed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts