Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since this forum is so good about propagating information, I thought I would share a discovery I made this morning.

I discovered that my left (shift side) footpeg had become a little loose. I noticed it when I was at a stop light and noticed that the shift lever seemed a little bit sloppy. When I got off the bike later, I took a look and twisted the shift-side peg and it moved a few millimeters up-down and fore-aft.

I traced it to the screw holding the peg and shifter shaft into the mounting plate. There is a notch in the mounting plate that keeps the peg mount oriented correctly, but that was not the problem. Despite being coated with a thread locking compound, the screw holding the peg mount in had become just a bit loose. Odd.

It was an easy fix to remove the plate. I disassembled the shift shaft, cleaned it up, applied grease and reassembled it all. It does worry me just a bit that a fairly important component somehow became loose. Hopefully no one else has this same issue, but it is an easy check to simply twist your footpegs fore and aft to see if anything is loose.

Ride safely!

·
Registered
364 Posts
The upper mounting bolt holding the passenger peg bracket to the rider peg bracket rattled out of mine twice in one week.
It's got locktite and fairly excessive torque on it now, and it's held for a few months.

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
This is currently a problem on my versys on left hand peg and can effect gear changes, couple of times been in 3rd gear tried to go down but no go so had to go up to go back down. Better sort this issue out asap as the wife is using the versys for a long trip this weekend and it could cause a panic moment for her. Peg rotating around slightly

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
It does occasionaly need to be loosened to access, clean and grease the shifter's main pivot, then properly tightened... A sticking shifter's main pivot is a more common complaint, due to a lack of basic maintenance.

·
Super Moderator
19,007 Posts
This is currently a problem on my versys on left hand peg and can effect gear changes, couple of times been in 3rd gear tried to go down but no go so had to go up to go back down. Better sort this issue out asap as the wife is using the versys for a long trip this weekend and it could cause a panic moment for her. Peg rotating around slightly
Phil - be VERY careful tightening it - there is a "tit" in aluminum that can shear off easily IF you do it wrong, and that "tit" is there to keep it from rotating.
:goodluck:

·
Registered
105 Posts
kiwi 41,

I was having the same shift issue. Cleaned up the shift linkage and greased it up (see pages 9-31 and 9-32 in the service manual) and per a video I found on YouTube, and it has been smooth shifting ever since.

Monte

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
kiwi 41,

I was having the same shift issue. Cleaned up the shift linkage and greased it up (see pages 9-31 and 9-32 in the service manual) and per a video I found on YouTube, and it has been smooth shifting ever since.

Monte
Can you post that youtube vid please

1 - 10 of 10 Posts