Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to the forum and do not own a Versus yet.

I own 2006 Yamaha Vino 125 scooter that I bought used two sesons ago, and have put about 3500 miles on it so far. Mostly used for commute to work, but not ridden as much as I wanted since it is a bit too slow for some local traffic. That forces me to use some of the slower roads and lengthens my commute.

I started looking for a bigger bike to move up to. Initialy looked at ninja 250 (smaller displacement), YZ7, and Triumph Bonneville (since I prefer the more upright seating). But once I noticed Versys, I did not stop until I read all the reviews about it :)

The dilemma I have is whether to go with the used one or a new one? There is limited supply of used ones in my area (Chicago), so prices are not that great (or so it seems to me).

1. I stopped by one of the local Kawasaki dealers and got what looks (to me) like a good offer for a new bike. Arround $8400 OTD (including several dealer fees, taxes, and registration), yes they went below MSRP as a base.

2. There is a 2011 Versys about 150mi away with about 5000 miles that dealership listed for $6000. After taxes and registration that becomes $6550. The bike looks clean and stock, no upgrades or luggage are included.

3. There is a local 2009 Versys with only 130 miles (private seller) that is listed for $5500. Again, no upgrades or luggage. I guess after taxes and registration this one would be about $6000.

4. Move up to a smaller, 250cc bike, for a while, before getting Versys.

Option 1 comes with warranty, and possibly allows me to pick the color.
Option 2 requires me to arrange somebody to drive me there, and I would have to ride it back (or put it on a trailer)
Option 3 slightly better price, but bike is 3 years old and was basicaly sitting unused all that time, which could be a problem
Option 4 only if Versys is too much of a bike for my experience level, but from what I have read it should be good for me since it is not too powerfull/hooligan type of a bike

I am open to suggestions and opinions. What are the pros and cons of new vs. used, given the options available?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
55 Posts
Honestly, I would do the 3 year old with almost no miles on it. Cheapest and it is basically the same bike, just different styling. If there are any issues with it sitting unused for that time, chances are that you can fix it yourself if you have a bit of time and patience.

There is no choice in color as they only make one color per year (except 2012 has the yellow/black mix or the pure black) and the warranty they offer is only for manufacturer defects, which they will try to pin it on you if at all possible.

The Versys makes a great beginner bike in my opinion, and it has enough to it that it will keep you entertained for quite a while.

Just my $.02

·
Premium Member
16,218 Posts
Option 3 but at a much lower price. I'd offer $4500.00 to $4800.00 or check out ebay there are some good deals listed there all over the states.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi, I am new to the forum and do not own a Versus yet.

I own 2006 Yamaha Vino 125 scooter that I bought used two sesons ago, and have put about 3500 miles on it so far. Mostly used for commute to work, but not ridden as much as I wanted since it is a bit too slow for some local traffic. That forces me to use some of the slower roads and lengthens my commute.

I started looking for a bigger bike to move up to. Initialy looked at ninja 250 (smaller displacement), YZ7, and Triumph Bonneville (since I prefer the more upright seating). But once I noticed Versys, I did not stop until I read all the reviews about it :)

The dilemma I have is whether to go with the used one or a new one? There is limited supply of used ones in my area (Chicago), so prices are not that great (or so it seems to me).

1. I stopped by one of the local Kawasaki dealers and got what looks (to me) like a good offer for a new bike. Arround $8400 OTD (including several dealer fees, taxes, and registration), yes they went below MSRP as a base.

2. There is a 2011 Versys about 150mi away with about 5000 miles that dealership listed for $6000. After taxes and registration that becomes $6550. The bike looks clean and stock, no upgrades or luggage are included.

3. There is a local 2009 Versys with only 130 miles (private seller) that is listed for $5500. Again, no upgrades or luggage. I guess after taxes and registration this one would be about $6000.

4. Move up to a smaller, 250cc bike, for a while, before getting Versys.

Option 1 comes with warranty, and possibly allows me to pick the color.
Option 2 requires me to arrange somebody to drive me there, and I would have to ride it back (or put it on a trailer)
Option 3 slightly better price, but bike is 3 years old and was basicaly sitting unused all that time, which could be a problem
Option 4 only if Versys is too much of a bike for my experience level, but from what I have read it should be good for me since it is not too powerfull/hooligan type of a bike

I am open to suggestions and opinions. What are the pros and cons of new vs. used, given the options available?

Thanks,
Mike
I'd go with door number 3 if you're ready to move up to a pretty quick & sporty ride. That's a big jump - from a scooter to a V. Make sure you're comfortable on the V.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
I recommend not buying a brand new bike for your first street bike. Some people drop them while learning and a used bike will make you cuss less.

I learned on a 700cc bike so no worries learning on a 650. Some of us enjoy the 250cc class of motorcycles for in town use as well so if you are just planning on staying in 55MPH speed limits or slower, a 250 will work and be much more economical both in entry cost, insurance, and fuel. I have yet to ride a 250 on a 65 MPH or higher speed limit and enjoy the ride. Feels like riding an angry bumble bee.

Good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have to agree with the rest, go with option 3..

I drove my truck four hours one way to pick mine up from a private seller, It had 14,000 miles on it..Do the Craigslist "Search Tempest", this will give you a larger area to look for used Versys..

An '08 or '09 should run you between 3500 to 4500...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought a leftover 2011 for $6500, coming from riding a vulcan 900 LT (which killed my upper back) this bike is a blast! I couldn't find any used V's near me either. I just happened to stumble onto this deal. It rides like it is part of your body, just an awesome bike! any way you choose you probably won't be disappointed. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Door #3.

I bought my '08 Versys used at the end of '08 with 2450 miles. It came equipped largely as I'd have done it myself (Givi V35 bags and a larger windshield) and cost about $2500 less than new, so equipped.

Save your money for gas and tires...you're going to want to ride your Versys a lot!

·
Registered
770 Posts
I would recommend option three. 07-09 models do have an issue with fairing rattle at certain engine speeds but it is easy to fix with some foam weather stripping tape and 20min with a screw driver. See this site for more info. I would also install either SW Motech or Givi engine bars - these will protect your bike from expensive damage the first time you drop it on it's side. They'll pay for themselves the first time this happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for all the input so far. I knew that this forum is active, but I did not expect that it was this active :)

At the suggested lower price ($4500-4800), the Option 3 does appeal to me much more than it does with the current asking price. With only 500 more and some effort with transporting it I could get the 2011 model (option 2).
I will try offering 4500 and see how it goes. And I will keep looking at eBay as well.

The leftover stock mentioned few posts ago by radmandan at $6500. Was that OTD price or just the base (before dealer fees, taxes, etc)? The Option 1, is $6900, before the fees, taxes and registration, for 2012 model.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
739 Posts
Just to be different, I recommend option 3.

Mechanically there is very little difference between a very little used older model and a brand new newer model. In fact, many aftermarket parts do fit the 08-09 models and not the 10-11 models.
Financially there is a huge difference between new and used.
So # 3 means to me little loss (if any), big gain.

BTW, the asking price of $5500 is too high for that bike IMHO.
I pulled a "Bones" and bought an '08 Versys in January 2010 with 4400 miles, with Givi luggage rack and V35 cases, and with an MRA Vario windshield (still my favorite) all for $4500.
And like others have mentioned, the market rate does not support that asking price.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, it was an OTD price, the shop didn't want to put out the '12 while having the '11 on the floor. It was looked at for a while according to the sales guy, but people wanted the black '12 model. I made the deal same day, picked it up 2 days later, been lovin' it since.

·
Registered
716 Posts
As others have said, those prices on both the new and the used bike are too high. I just went through this decision process myself, as I upgraded from my 08 to a new 2011 which I bought out the door for $6750 + TT. My other option was a pretty nice looking 2010 with 7k miles on it in Kansas City and no mods for $4800, (great price!). I might have gone for the used 2010 had I lived closer to KC or if I had friends or family in KC to stay with while I outfitted it. I was figuring a cost of about $500 to fly to KC, stay in motels, ride it back to friends in New Mexico where I could outfit it with racks/bags/engine guards/etc. When I considered the advantage of buying a new bike, ease of outfitting/registration for me, and breaking it in myself, I decided it was worth the extra cash to own the new bike. I have few concerns with buying a used Versys assuming it has been maintained, (oil changes primarily). Whichever way you go, it mostly comes down to cost and convenience. You make the call. Good luck!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Where are you in Chicago? I got my 08 V with 6k miles and few after market parts for 4500 in Elgin (at the beginning of winter though).

I learned with a Ninja 250, but I didn't feel comfortable driving on Chicago highways where everyone drives 70+. I'm very happy with the V, it's very stable, plenty powerful when needed but reasonable and easily manageable.

Where are #2 and #3 located? I could give you a hand too if needed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am in Mount Prospect, #2 is in Oshkosh WI (dealer), and #3 is close by in Rosele IL (private seller). I left a message on his cell, but I got no call back (I did not say in the message that would offer 4500, I wanted to see the bike first).

Highway part of my commute is regularly 80mph, but I would stay on streets for some time of course.

I have a feeling that market (even for used ones) already adjusted for the jump in MSRP between 2011 and 2012 models. Thanks everyone for the input, most of you got nice deals when you were buying, maybe I need to keep looking some more.

Right now, CycleTrader has only one private seller in 400mi radius, and among the only 3 bikes below 5k, one has 22k miles ($4995) and other two are ~250 miles away ($4500 2008, and $4999 2009).

If #3 does not respond (or go with 4500), I am left with #1 or #2. I do like the Yellow/Black 2012 though :), but I could also drive to Oshkosh and put bike on a trailer.

Mike

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ah, I was hoping to move to Mount Prospect but then the housing market died... but I am quite close to Roselle. I stopped by Elgin Kawasaki to pick up my new plates and checked if they had any Vs, but they didn't (though they could get a new one from another dealer).

If you can wait, a good deal might come along... but sometimes you just gotta go for it. For instance, I could have had free motorcycle classes through NIU but things happened fast with my first bike so I decided to just put down $300 for a class so I could ride it instead of waiting. I don't regret it one bit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the suggestions and help offered, I really appreciate it.

I got the bike yesterday. Local private seller did not budge from his listed price, so I went to Kawasaki dealer in Oshkosh and got me a nice 2011 with about 4800 miles.

They had two 2011 bikes listed at the same price, but one of them was dropped and there was some (mostly cosmetic) damage on several parts on the left side. Mirror, handlebar, plastic fairing, bottom of the fork (below the axle), engine block, and plastic shield below exhaust pipes. None of this was visible not their web site :). The other one (that I got) has only few minor scratches (it looks like it was lowered down on driveway, no sliding). The most visible one can be seen on the picture from the trailer (it's between the Versys logo and black strap). Rear tire looks almost brand new, and front one it not that bad either.

I rented motorcycle trailer from Uhaul for $14.99, so it was easy to bring it home.

Here are some pictures on the dealer's parking lot, and few from my driveway when I got it off the trailer.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts