Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a DRZ and love it but have dumped a ton of money in to it and don't want to drive it into the ground as a day in day out “get to work bike”. I'm going to use the DRZ as a play bike so I need a good solid bike to get to work. If I drive into DC its 58 miles one way and the DRZ can't do that more then just once in a blue moon. The train which I take every day is 20 miles one way and 8 miles of that is over dirt roads. I plan on riding everyday rain or shine with the exception being snow (we live in the mountains). I will be going all the way downtown once or twice a week. I looked at BMW but they are too much money, hard to work on and the dealership is over an hour away. So what do you guys think of your Versy's as far a heavy use high mileage bike? Can it do hardpack dirt roads comfortably? How’s the gas mileage and last what did you guys pay out the door. It looks like it under 7000, which is in my budget. Any info on hard bags that you can lock will be helpful also. Sorry for the long first post but I have the next few days off and want to get up to speed before I hit the boys at the steelership!

·
Registered
88 Posts
bike

hey doug.....i had a drz400s like u....great bike...I loved it...but then I started to use it for commuting to work which was not really what they are meant for...I decided to get a Versys and have not looked back...I commute to work every day 50km one way...this bike is perfectly suited to commuting or long tours...many of the guys on here and on the UK web site have there bikes set up for touring with hard bags etc...u can do alot with this bike thats why they call the versys...( versatile system)... the bike should be ok on hard pack but u might want to get different tires....as for logging alot of miles I have no worries about that...its a good solid dependable motor that will go a long time with proper maintenance.....:thumb:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Just picked up my new Versys and had it on hard packed dirt roads, both dry and wet. It felt fine to me, in fact it felt better than my DRZ-SM with Avon Distancia tires. The local dealership owner here (CO) bought one and put on some agressive Pirelli's (M60? or something) and he says the tires (and the bike) are perfect for a street/dirt combo, even some mellow single tracks. This coming from a guy who can own and ride any bike that Kawa, Suzi, Honda or KTM makes.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No 08's around new. There are a few used but I want a new bike so I may be looking at an 09 which is fine but I have too wait for 60 days. Thanks for the welcome Bear and red is fine with me:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.