Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Oh boy, these are eye candy :) This might be nitpicking, but all I've heard that Tracers are somewhat tamed, if not to say boring to ride. Whilze FZ09 is probably a blast, Tracer 900 is most probably tuned for a calmer ride. Again, this is in Texas, and I need a test ride :) Thanks anyway!
I'm wondering if he got the two of us mixed up, as I'm in Texas. And, yep. The weather's fine for riding here, but starting to get a bit toasty. I had two coworkers with FZ09s, and they loved them. Another had the FZ07 and loved it too. I actually looked into both when I was bike shopping a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'm wondering if he got the two of us mixed up, as I'm in Texas. And, yep. The weather's fine for riding here, but starting to get a bit toasty. I had two coworkers with FZ09s, and they loved them. Another had the FZ07 and loved it too. I actually looked into both when I was bike shopping a couple of years ago.
What turned you away from FZ09, or rather towards Versys?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Found a new 2018 1000 LT version for $10,500. Considering this bike is a couple of years old now, and was only $12,999 when new, the discount seems a bit small to me. What do you think?

Considering Cycle trader has offers for $12,999 on a 2019 1000 SE LT+, I don't really see the point of saving a few thousand on a bike without advanced suite of electronics and all the bells and whistles that come with newer version standard.

·
Registered
150 Posts
What turned you away from FZ09, or rather towards Versys?
It was really a combination of a couple of things. And I was also looking at the Wee Strom. Overall, I chose the Versys, because it was the Urban Assault Vehicle I need for my commute and Houston's potholes, the price was right for the LT version (which meant I didn't have to buy side cases), and after sit tests, I found it fit me the best. In addition, I was able to find a new previous year model, which further brought the price down.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Found a new 2018 1000 LT version for $10,500. Considering this bike is a couple of years old now, and was only $12,999 when new, the discount seems a bit small to me. What do you think?

Considering Cycle trader has offers for $12,999 on a 2019 1000 SE LT+, I don't really see the point of saving a few thousand on a bike without advanced suite of electronics and all the bells and whistles that come with newer version standard.

When talking numbers with dealers you have to ask what the Out the Door price is. Many online advertisers list a ridiculously low price and then add on fees that get it back up close to MSRP. Game players.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
I have sat on one, that bike does fit me well. I do like triples, having owned an XS750 and a '72 Water Buffalo.
We've probably talked about this before, but what year was your XS750, and when did you own it? Mine was a '77 silver and blue, bought in spring of '81. It had every touring accessory available on it. I was the only teenager with a touring bike. LOL!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

When talking numbers with dealers you have to ask what the Out the Door price is. Many online advertisers list a ridiculously low price and then add on fees that get it back up close to MSRP. Game players.
Thanks for suggestion! I’m really eyeing to buy a brand new (not previously owned) bike, but that would be a first for me. It is also hard to negotiate over the phone (and frankly I’m not good at that game). Nobody wants to allow test ride on a 0 miles bike that doesn’t have a lot of buyers lined up for it, especially with the pandemic scare. I’ll have to read up on buying a new bike from a dealer.

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts
Thanks for suggestion! I’m really eyeing to buy a brand new (not previously owned) bike, but that would be a first for me. It is also hard to negotiate over the phone (and frankly I’m not good at that game). Nobody wants to allow test ride on a 0 miles bike that doesn’t have a lot of buyers lined up for it, especially with the pandemic scare. I’ll have to read up on buying a new bike from a dealer.

I went in to the dealership to pick up some parts for my FJR and while there i was looking at the 2016 V-650's and V-1000. Talking to the salesman about them. he knew i was more up on the Versys than he was and he asked if i would like to test ride one. I couldn't that day so set it up for the following tuesday. Took the girlfriend since she was off that day. We did our test ride and my girls asked if i like it i said yes so she goes then i think you should get it. One thing we both didn't want the green one we test rode so they brought a titanium in the next day for me to take home...So some dealers will still give test rides if you look around...

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
When I was considering replacing my '01 Kawasaki Voyager XII with the '10 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700, I couldn't get a test ride anywhere. I found out I could rent one in Vegas and told the local dealer that if my wife and I make it out to Vegas we would rent one and know.

Before that came about, another local dealer offered us a test ride on a '10 Goldwing. We took a ride and then stopped in at the Kawasaki dealer and told him we had just ridden the Goldwing and not sure we are going to wait until we can get to Vegas. The wheels were turning in his head and he said we could ride the one on the floor which was a non-ABS model. We rode it and both liked it much more than the Goldwing. Ended up buying an ABS model that I got to help uncrate and put together. That bike is the first bike I have ever kept 6 years and 60,000 miles.

To firemanC50, if you find a fair price on a bike you are interested in and are ready to make the purchase, you can make it contingent on a test ride to make sure it is the bike for you. But, before you do that, you really need to find one at a dealer where you can at least sit on it with both feet on the pegs to get an idea of the fit, and also duck walk it around to see how it feels with the seat height for when you are moving it around your garage.

Oh, and if you buy one, you are going to have to change your user name. :) I had a different user name many years ago, but after the 2nd bike I changed to "twowheeladdict" 25 bikes later I am glad I did.

·
Registered
804 Posts
We've probably talked about this before, but what year was your XS750, and when did you own it? Mine was a '77 silver and blue, bought in spring of '81. It had every touring accessory available on it. I was the only teenager with a touring bike. LOL!
I think we did, also. Ain't CRS great?

I had a '79 Standard with all of the touring goodies purchased in the early 90's. I did hit a few triples rallies in the midwest. There was a email list group that I was on, Y Triples or something like it. I actually rode that bike over 600 miles in one day on the stock seat. Brutal, but it re lit the travel bug, bought a '99 Connie that I sold with 234k miles on it. The travel bug bit hard, in a good way.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
When I was considering replacing my '01 Kawasaki Voyager XII with the '10 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700, I couldn't get a test ride anywhere. I found out I could rent one in Vegas and told the local dealer that if my wife and I make it out to Vegas we would rent one and know.

Before that came about, another local dealer offered us a test ride on a '10 Goldwing. We took a ride and then stopped in at the Kawasaki dealer and told him we had just ridden the Goldwing and not sure we are going to wait until we can get to Vegas. The wheels were turning in his head and he said we could ride the one on the floor which was a non-ABS model. We rode it and both liked it much more than the Goldwing. Ended up buying an ABS model that I got to help uncrate and put together. That bike is the first bike I have ever kept 6 years and 60,000 miles.

To firemanC50, if you find a fair price on a bike you are interested in and are ready to make the purchase, you can make it contingent on a test ride to make sure it is the bike for you. But, before you do that, you really need to find one at a dealer where you can at least sit on it with both feet on the pegs to get an idea of the fit, and also duck walk it around to see how it feels with the seat height for when you are moving it around your garage.

Oh, and if you buy one, you are going to have to change your user name. :) I had a different user name many years ago, but after the 2nd bike I changed to "twowheeladdict" 25 bikes later I am glad I did.
LMAO, yeah, my username might need to be changed in the future :) I have the same on another bike forum, and kept it for simplicity. I sat on a 1000 at a dealer, rocked it side to side (I can flat foot it) and it felt very comfortable. My better half gave me a gift certificate for a bike rental from our local shop in NYC, but they only have a few Honda, Vstrom 650 and Harley bikes. I'll wait till the weather gets better, and quarantine is eased-up a bit in NYC (we are still in full lock-down mode), and rent that vstrom. At least it will give me an idea if I even like the "adventure" seating position. Who knows, I might like the Vstrom enough that I just get a 650

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a 19 Versys 1000 SE LT+ with cruise control and I will never, ever, ever buy another bike without cruise control. “That’s all I got to say about that”.

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
I had a '78 - red w/ gold pin-striping.

Attachments

21 - 35 of 35 Posts