Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello from NYC! Hope everyone is doing well in these uncertain times!

I've been riding for a couple of years on a 2008 Suzuki C50 LE. My current bike looks nice, but ergonomics (6'3", 34" inseam [190 cm, 87 cm - inseam]) not the best for me even after forward controls and custom seat. C50's 819CC engine is weak at 45lb/ft for such a heavy bike (approx. 600 LB+ as equipped), very mildly tuned and vibrates A LOT, especially above 60 MPH. Rear drum brake and complete lack of ABS even on 2020 models doesn't help (more on that some other time).

I started thinking of upgrading to a bike with newer technology and Versys platform seems to be a good fit. VStrom is another option (not a fan of Yamaha's offering in this class) but I don't do off-road riding, so wheel size and a recent style change on VStorm are a turn-off for me. I do like the cruiser look of Suzuki C50, but I need something with recent tech, large enough to be comfortable both in the city and longer highway rides, and be able to ride all year round (rain/shine/winter, summer and everything in between).

I would like to know which bike is more comfortable for a taller rider Versys 650 or 1000 from the factory and after mods. Sat on both in the showroom, 1000 is the right size for me, but it is a big bike... I don't know if it makes sense to buy that when I live in a big city and have a fairly short commute.

I also need water resistant saddlebags, preferably to fit a desktop replacement laptop (work related) and some luggage , so "LT" variant is probably the way to go. I'm no stranger to wrenching on my bike, so installing aftermarket parts is something I'm open to do (or my sweet sweet heated grips in NYC winter). However Versys 1000 is now only offered in LT variant in US, with a significant price difference between 650 LT and 1000 LT. Budget is important: I'm OK buying a last previous year's model if it is discounted enough to justify the price tag difference. If I do buy a Versys, I'll probably keep it for a while, unless it is utterly uncomfortable.

Thanks and keep riding!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
:welcome: aboard!

The "LT" saddle-bags are rather 'weirdly' shaped, so your computor MAY NOT fit in them. TRY it into a bag before you buy.

:goodluck:

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts
I'm 6'2" 33"inseam and i had a Versys 650 and now a Versys 1000. I also have bad knees and hip so i can't ride cramped up on both bikes i put Motowerk peg lowering blocks on and also Motowerk highway peg mounts with Rivcco pegs. Also on both i had Terry Adcock make a flat seat for me so i can sit back farther on the seat so i can stretch out. I live in Los Angeles county and deal with lots of traffic and the 1000 is easy to ride maneuvering around the city. You'll get better gas mileage with the 650 but i like the extra power and more room to move around on the 1000 plus the engine and transmission is like butter.

IMG_1503 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Terry's Custom Seat's Flat Seat For Versys 1000 by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
:welcome:aboard.

At 6.3 the 1000 is your best choice , but if you are on tight budget and just city ride and some tour the 650 might fit your bill. take a test ride or at least sit on both to get the feel.:goodluck:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<a href="http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/images/smilies/welcomesign.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Welcome Sign" >:)</a> aboard!

The "LT" saddle-bags are rather 'weirdly' shaped, so your computor MAY NOT fit in them. TRY it into a bag before you buy.

<a href="http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/images/smilies/goodluck.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Good Luck" >:)</a>
Yeah, I noticed that! I don’t really want to get a top box, but might have to do it for longer rides anyway. I do have a Givi waterproof bag that I use when I ride to the gym (or I should say used to, now that everything is closed in NYC), but it is a hassle to get it strapped to the bike.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm 6'2" 33"inseam and i had a Versys 650 and now a Versys 1000. I also have bad knees and hip so i can't ride cramped up on both bikes i put Motowerk peg lowering blocks on and also Motowerk highway peg mounts with Rivcco pegs. Also on both i had Terry Adcock make a flat seat for me so i can sit back farther on the seat so i can stretch out. I live in Los Angeles county and deal with lots of traffic and the 1000 is easy to ride maneuvering around the city. You'll get better gas mileage with the 650 but i like the extra power and more room to move around on the 1000 plus the engine and transmission is like butter.

IMG_1503 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Terry's Custom Seat's Flat Seat For Versys 1000 by weljo2001, on Flickr
The blue 650 is very nice! Seat looks a bit weird, but must be very comfy. I’ve heard that 650 can get buzzy at higher RPM, and that it needs it for highway cruising.
Besides butter smooth engine and transm, the thing that makes me want a recent 1000 LT version is cruise control. Also people say electric suspension is great. I don’t care much for electronic suspension, would love to try it though. Thank you for sharing your mods, it sure is helpful!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<a href="http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/images/smilies/welcomesign.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Welcome Sign" >:)</a>aboard.

At 6.3 the 1000 is your best choice , but if you are on tight budget and just city ride and some tour the 650 might fit your bill. take a test ride or at least sit on both to get the feel.<a href="http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/images/smilies/goodluck.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Good Luck" >:)</a>
I’d love to test ride either 650 or 1000, but it is not possible in NYC due to exorbitant liability insurance shops have to pay (and they won’t do it). I did find a bike in NJ about 50 miles away from my place, but they were not willing to allow a test ride a 1000. It was a 2019 model LT, discounted to $14,000+fees and they had trouble selling even this one bike... another option is rent one (if I can find) for a day.

It was really tempting to take that 2019 1000 LT home, but I really didn’t want to buy another bike without a test ride. A few weeks later coronavirus happened and NYC/NJ went into full lockdown mode; future became somewhat uncertain. I’ll spend this time for research and see what happens later in the year.

·
Registered
804 Posts
The blue 650 is very nice! Seat looks a bit weird, but must be very comfy. I’ve heard that 650 can get buzzy at higher RPM, and that it needs it for highway cruising.
Besides butter smooth engine and transm, the thing that makes me want a recent 1000 LT version is cruise control. Also people say electric suspension is great. I don’t care much for electronic suspension, would love to try it though. Thank you for sharing your mods, it sure is helpful!
I have a '15 650. The lower rpms will vibrate a bit when applying power, though that was reduced with the Shoodaben ECU reflash. At 80 mph at 6100 rpms and all the way to redline the engine is silky smooth. I get a slight foot tingle at exactly 5200 rpms and not really a vibration, but just a little "not quite perfectly smooth" at 42-4300. Bie has just short of 70k (not easy) miles on it. I'm on my 13th rear tire if that tells you anything. Vroom vroom.

Try to find a used one for a test ride, the gen 3's are virtually identical.

Happy hunting!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just look around for a used 1000. I stole mine. 2017 with hard side bags--12v outlet--highway pegs--lowering kit--2 shields--bar risers--
corbin seat...best of all only had 2k miles on it and paid $7k from private party. I looked for about 4 months till one came up. They are
rarely for sale and if they are everyone wants too much. I lucked out. I added a fuse box--side powerlet for heated vest--heated grips--
small (I dont like the big ones) Givi (29L) top case. I'm good to go. Patience is bliss.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My 650 is a bit buzzy, but it's not bad. She can definitely hold her own at higher speeds. I've also had no issues on the highway when I have to twist the throttle to get past other drivers, and can say she can do 85 MPH just fine. Full disclosure for these remarks: I am a 5'6" woman who weighs about 125 lbs, so your experience with this, given your stats, are going to be different. I'd say you should ride both and see which truly suits you, even though it sounds like you're leaning toward the 1000.

As for luggage, yes, the side cases on the LT are oddly shaped, so your laptop may not fit. You can always get the ABS version without the side cases and buy a set of traditionally rectangular cases instead. I put my laptop in my top case, which is the same one (different color) that weljo2001 has pictured on his bikes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just look around for a used 1000. I stole mine. 2017 with hard side bags--12v outlet--highway pegs--lowering kit--2 shields--bar risers--
corbin seat...best of all only had 2k miles on it and paid $7k from private party. I looked for about 4 months till one came up. They are
rarely for sale and if they are everyone wants too much. I lucked out. I added a fuse box--side powerlet for heated vest--heated grips--
small (I dont like the big ones) Givi (29L) top case. I'm good to go. Patience is bliss.
Nice!!! I checked Cycletrader, and there are very few used 1000. One bike that looked interesting was a 2019 1000 LT for $12K with 750 miles on it, but it is on the other side of the country, and I do want to test ride it first. I'm in no rush, I'll keep looking.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My 650 is a bit buzzy, but it's not bad. She can definitely hold her own at higher speeds. I've also had no issues on the highway when I have to twist the throttle to get past other drivers, and can say she can do 85 MPH just fine. Full disclosure for these remarks: I am a 5'6" woman who weighs about 125 lbs, so your experience with this, given your stats, are going to be different. I'd say you should ride both and see which truly suits you, even though it sounds like you're leaning toward the 1000.

As for luggage, yes, the side cases on the LT are oddly shaped, so your laptop may not fit. You can always get the ABS version without the side cases and buy a set of traditionally rectangular cases instead. I put my laptop in my top case, which is the same one (different color) that weljo2001 has pictured on his bikes.
Thank you for feedback! I do want a 1000 LT, but it might be too large for the kind of riding I'm doing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a '15 650. The lower rpms will vibrate a bit when applying power, though that was reduced with the Shoodaben ECU reflash. At 80 mph at 6100 rpms and all the way to redline the engine is silky smooth. I get a slight foot tingle at exactly 5200 rpms and not really a vibration, but just a little "not quite perfectly smooth" at 42-4300. Bie has just short of 70k (not easy) miles on it. I'm on my 13th rear tire if that tells you anything. Vroom vroom.

Try to find a used one for a test ride, the gen 3's are virtually identical.

Happy hunting!
It sounds to me that I would probably not even notice the vibration you are experiencing. My Suzuki C50 vibrates at higher RPM so bad that I can't see reflection in the mirrors; my palms and feet feel like I've handled a drill after an hour ride. I really need to get a test drive to be able to tell if 650 is the right size for me. I do want something nimble and comfortable enough that I could spend a few hours riding non-stop.

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
That Tracer really tripped a lot of my switches until I got to payload, octane requirements, and tank size. It sure has a lot of pluses, though.

·
Registered
804 Posts
It sounds to me that I would probably not even notice the vibration you are experiencing. My Suzuki C50 vibrates at higher RPM so bad that I can't see reflection in the mirrors; my palms and feet feel like I've handled a drill after an hour ride. I really need to get a test drive to be able to tell if 650 is the right size for me. I do want something nimble and comfortable enough that I could spend a few hours riding non-stop.
Probably not, it is definitely not overpowering in the vibration department.

The six fiddy is realistic for all day travel except for the solvable seat issue. The acceleration and handling as compared to those small cruisers will be eye opening.

·
Registered
804 Posts
That Tracer 900 is one sexy looking sport tourer. Love the sound of a triple. Glad I don't have $10k burning a hole in my pocket.
I have sat on one, that bike does fit me well. I do like triples, having owned an XS750 and a '72 Water Buffalo.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh boy, these are eye candy :) This might be nitpicking, but all I've heard that Tracers are somewhat tamed, if not to say boring to ride. Whilze FZ09 is probably a blast, Tracer 900 is most probably tuned for a calmer ride. Again, this is in Texas, and I need a test ride :) Thanks anyway!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts