Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking for a pair of general purpose over pants to wear over top of street pants for primarily commuting. The temps they will be used in will vary from 90F to 32F.

Currently considering the Olympia Ranger and XMoto pant. Does anyone have these? Will the Ranger (unvented, built in water proof liner) be too hot? Any other suggestions? I want to avoid polyester or lightweight nylon.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Ive got a pair of Fieldsheer slip-on pants. I know you said you wanted to avoid "nylon" but just for comparison purposes, I'll throw these out there. If you arent interested, just ignore it, maybe someone will be. ;)
For the money, not a bad purchase. I wear mine under the same conditions you describe and they do the job just fine. A couple of things that I like about them compared to some other overpants: The thigh pockets are great, the pants are waterproof as far as I can tell (Fieldsheer doesnt advertise "waterproof" but Ive been in the rain a few times with them and my dress pants underneath have stayed completely dry, even when the Fieldsheer pants are soaked on the outside), they are lightweight nylon so they arent much hotter than a pair of jeans, the full length leg zipper is a "dont do without" item, not only do they have standard soft CE pads at the knees but they also have hard armor there, and last but not least, only $80.

Things I dont like about them: the waist elastic is worthless and while they arent extremely hot, they could benefit from some kind of venting.

Ive had them a couple of years and they show no wear.
I would buy them again.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Check out Aerostich too. Their Darien and Darien Lite are designed to be worn over clothes/under gear. Full length zips, nice product. Not cheap tho.

·
Registered
179 Posts
First gear HT pants. These come with a removable liner. Water proof, zip to the hip, easy to wear over pants. I wear them over jeans. Good all year pants. I am wearing KLIM Dakar pants also over the jeans, you need to remove your boots to get them on and off. they have a lot of ventilation for the really warm days.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am using x-element leather over pants from Leatherup.com. Temp range should work and they have full side zipper. They are lined down past knees. Would shed some rain but I am sure they wouldn't be water proof. Main drawback is they are heavy and a little restrictive when throwing leg over tall bike.

·
Registered
448 Posts
First gear HT pants. These come with a removable liner. Water proof, zip to the hip, easy to wear over pants. I wear them over jeans. Good all year pants. I am wearing KLIM Dakar pants also over the jeans, you need to remove your boots to get them on and off. they have a lot of ventilation for the really warm days.
Don't want to hijack but how are those KLIM working out for you. I hear some great things about them.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Bought the XMoto pants from http://www.marksmotogear.com/ . He was good to deal with and gave me a 10% discount for being a member of this forum. His shipping costs to Canada were also not inflated unlike some US online retailers like revzilla.com Now all I have to do is wait 3 weeks for them to make their way through Canada Customs :( Will post a review once I have got a chance to use them.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have the feildsheer too, don't know what model, they may be different from the above reply's but these are mesh with the hip and knee armor, full length zippers..On hot days I can wear shorts under them and still be protected..On longer rest stops I can remove and put on with ease...

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I am seriously looking at the Olympia Airglide 3 Jacket and Pants. Dupont Cordura has superior abrasion resistance and the gear comes with wind/waterproof liners that can be worn separately which is useful when touring and not wanting to carry a lot of gear.

In the warm temps I would wear them over hiking shorts / T-shirt and in cooler temps over pants and heated liner.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I am riding with "ICON's" 'Compound Overpants'.
350.00 usd ain't cheap I suppose...but lying in a hospital bed for days on end waiting for the road rash to percolate the gravel and grit out of your flesh isn't cheap either!!! ( I caught a 'open-house sale' at "sportbiketrackgear.com" and only paid 297.00 usd...took the sting out of it a bit and they should last 4-EVER!
I wear them with cargo shorts. The full length two-way leg zippers make using the cargo pockets on the shorts a breeze. ( If it's chilly I start the day with 'Underarmor' 'Heat-gear' leggings. cold riding would be jeans and UA Cold-Gear leggings....no batteries required LOL!)

Leather w/ textile. leather is 1.4 mil at all impact points and as we all know, nothing is better than Leather when it comes to keeping your flesh intact:thumb: Two zippered pockets on the front and a "zip"
to transfer to your jacket of choice to tie it all together for track-days and such.
CE Knee armor...but of course!
Check them out...I love'um!
Just sayin'
Peace.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm looking to get a good pair of overpants, too. My deal is that I've been riding an ST1100 in foul weather, rainy or cold down to around 30 degrees F. I've got an old pair of Interstate brand chaps that I bought at the Farm Fleet 10 years ago. I wear them for warmth only. The advantage is that they're easy on, easy off for commuting, and they actually fit! I'm not all that tall (6' 2"), but I wear a size 34W X 36L pants in Wrangler and Levis. Now that I'm riding the V more, I'd like to sell off the ST. It's a heavy ol' pig compared to my V, and the ergos, don't work as well as the V either.

I'm looking at the Fieldsheer Mercury 2.0 pants. NewEnough says they're overpants. Revzilla says not. I need something that'll work down to 30 degrees F in the damp, fog, sleet, rain, etc. on my 25 mile commute. I don't like to be cold or wet! What I've got doesn't work without the full faring on the ST. Anybody familiar with them? Would they be good for my needs? Anything better? Remember I need them to *fit*!

thanks,

GDI

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I'm looking to get a good pair of overpants, too. My deal is that I've been riding an ST1100 in foul weather, rainy or cold down to around 30 degrees F. I've got an old pair of Interstate brand chaps that I bought at the Farm Fleet 10 years ago. I wear them for warmth only. The advantage is that they're easy on, easy off for commuting, and they actually fit! I'm not all that tall (6' 2"), but I wear a size 34W X 36L pants in Wrangler and Levis. Now that I'm riding the V more, I'd like to sell off the ST. It's a heavy ol' pig compared to my V, and the ergos, don't work as well as the V either.

I'm looking at the Fieldsheer Mercury 2.0 pants. NewEnough says they're overpants. Revzilla says not. I need something that'll work down to 30 degrees F in the damp, fog, sleet, rain, etc. on my 25 mile commute. I don't like to be cold or wet! What I've got doesn't work without the full faring on the ST. Anybody familiar with them? Would they be good for my needs? Anything better? Remember I need them to *fit*!

thanks,

GDI
I looked at the Fieldshier pants at a local dealer but they were selling for more than $250 here in Canada so the price difference was not that great. $144 seems like a great deal though. The XMoto pants were $270 or almost twice the price.

Olympia sizing is different from Fieldshier. As for size the Olympia come in jean waist sizes (30,32,34,etc.) and their site suggests going up one waist size over your jean size if you will use them as over pants. The legs are designed to be hemmed to the correct length. Fieldshier comes in the usual S, M, L in one leg length that is not hemable.

I perceived a significant difference in quality between the two though, whether the difference was worth the money or I wasted my money, I guess time will tell. The XMoto pants have much more substantial hip padding and slightly better knee armor. They are also heavy Cordura which is apparently 2-3x more abrasion resistant than the Carbolux so I feel safer just wearing shorts under them which I may do in the heat of the summer. They have much larger leg vents so theoretically should be cooler in the heat. They also use a breathable Goretex (clone) membrane wind/rain water liner vs a vinyl coated wind/rain liner. The inside of the legs of the XMoto pants are leather to protect against chafe and heat from exhausts. I have had other Olympia gear and it has stood up better than my gear from Joe Rocket and Rev'It - can't comment on FieldShier. The XMoto pants don't come with an insulation liner although I plan to use them down to about 0C/32F with a base layer.

I also really liked the new Icon leather mesh overpants Stagehand mentioned because of the great protection they offer but where I ride there is a lot of cool weather and sometimes rain which leather and mesh is less than ideal for.

·
Registered
108 Posts
But, how tall are you? If the pants are above my boots when I ride, what use is that? I don't want to spend the big money for custom-tailored gear, so my options are somewhat limited. I bought a Firstgear rain jacket and pants last year. The jacket has been working well, but the pants come up above my boots when I bend my knees to ride. . . .

I don't even bother to wear the pants any more!

GDI

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Check Olympia's web site but I think all their pants come with a 34inch or so inseam that is designed to be hemmed to the correct length. I'm 6ft with a 32 inseam and the Olympia are a bit long on me so I will probably have to get them hemmed. My drycleaner will hem pants for $10. The Fieldshier L pants I tried on were the correct length.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts