Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello :)

Looking for feedback. I just started riding this year and it is quickly becoming an addiction. I am 6'8" so this is one of the few bikes I can fit on comfortably (I really do not like the noise or feel of a cruiser/bagger. I feel like I'm smuggling a football). I bought the 2018 Versys 650 as my first bike and in about 1.5 months have around 4500 miles. I am obsessed with the bike. Fast, nimble, and really fun in the corners. My only negative comment is anything over 1.5 hours (90-100 miles) in the seat and my right shoulder starts hurting and the good ol' sit bone starts to get the pangs. That is about it. I was looking to put about $3500 into mods for it via new seat/exhaust/bags etcetera to have it be my everyday lifetime seasonal bike.

Here is the quandary... I love speed and windy roads which the v650 is a master at. With that said a dealer near me has a deal on a 2019 V1K SE LT that I having a hard time looking the other way. For essentially an extra 4k on top of what I was planning to spend + trade-in of my v650, I can upgrade to the 1k with all the gizmos out the door price of $13000 on a demo bike with only 1200 miles on it and manu warranty still intact.

I know it's going to be a bigger heavier bike, but has anyone made the change and wished they could go back? I was planning on getting the 1k as my next bike anyway, just not after 2 months and 4500 miles of riding. I sat on it and it just felt hubris right and I was smiling ear to ear, but I cannot test ride the bike the way I usually ride when stuck in urban America. I am fearful I will go to the 1k and lose the nimbleness of the bike and have buyers remorse. I am a pavement goblin and will explore any and every paved street, no offroad adventures, but if I can find a road with 55+ MPH speed limit and curve, I will do it multiple times, like the dragons tail in KT.

TL : DR (first post, be gentle)

Will I have as much fun on the V1000 as I do on the V650? Should I just keep the 650 and start adding to it? Is getting a $5000 discount with no destination or set up fee ($1400) too good to pass up?

·
Registered
81 Posts
i have a 2016 V1K and a 2016 V650....the 1000 seems like a beast compared to the wee 650. However, if you are 6' 8", I would think you would not find the weight and bulk of it that big a deal. Be aware, the 1000 has significantly more power, and is a handful for a new rider.
As for handling. I find that I can carve twisties a little better on the V1K, despite its size. It just somehow seems lean into the turns easier and more stable. Also, the smoothness of it (as most inline 4s are) is a huge improvement over the vibrations of the 650. On the open highway at speed, the 1000 is more stable and comfortable than the 650. I did change seats on both bikes to Sargents. I found both of the OEM seats were not comfy and pushed me into the tank.
Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I would personally wait on the 1K. Ride what you have for longer. The extra power can be great, but can also get you into trouble as well. While you have gotten comfortable, you are still pretty new to riding.

Maybe skip the exhaust, and things that cant be moved to a different bike in the future.

My first bike was a 600 sport bike. I felt I rode it quite well, but after "downgrading" to the 650 Versys and not having as much extra punch at the twist of the wrist allowed me to ride much better.

Dont rush into the bigger bike to quick.

Reactions: Niko5569

·
Registered
288 Posts
I personally wouldn't worry about the power. You can easily find yourself in trouble on the 650 as well. Its just all comes down to common sense and not riding beyond your capabilities. I say ride the demo bike and determine for yourself if it's what you want. After a good 500 miles on the 1K. You will get used too the extra power and weight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have a 2016 V1K and a 2016 V650....the 1000 seems like a beast compared to the wee 650. However, if you are 6' 8", I would think you would not find the weight and bulk of it that big a dea. Be aware, the 1000 has significantly more power, and is a handful for a new rider.
As for handling. I find that I can carve twisties a little better on the V1K, despite is't size. It just somehow seems lean into the turns easier and more stable. Also, the smoothness of it (as most inline 4s are) is a huge improvement over the vibrations of the 650. On the open highway at speed, the 1000 is more stable and comfortable than the 650. I did change seats on both bikes to Sargents. I found both of the OEM seats were not comfy and pushed me into the tank.
Good luck with your choice.
do you have a link for the sargents you have peaked my interest! and thank you this is great to hear!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I personally wouldn't worry about the power. You can easily find yourself in trouble on the 650 as well. Its just all comes down to common sense and not riding beyond your capabilities. I say ride the demo bike and determine for yourself if it's what you want. After a good 500 miles on the 1K. You will get used too the extra power and weight.
this is true. after 500 miles on the 650, i was zipping around and carving up corners. it was driving its self

·
Registered
587 Posts
If your 6 foot 8 inches I imagine the bigger wheel base of the 1000 would be a good fit for you. Im 5 ft 8 and the 650 is perfect for me. Mind you ,the thing about the 650 for cornering so nimbly is the shorter wheel base combined with 17 inch wheels. Versys is really a mid weight modified sport bike platform..

·
Premium Member
16,156 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had the V650 and now have the 1000.
I dont find the 1000 as fun. The 650 was just a fun, engaging bike.
The 1000 is roomier, smoother and more powerful. The suspension is better and It is MUCH better 2 up.
It needed/needs almost all the same things the 650 did for my size (6'-6")
Screen, seat and lower pegs.
My gen 1 650 needed different bars/risers, the 1000's seem ok.
I seriously considered a 650 LT before I bought the 1000, but I wanted the 2 up ability.

If it was me I would stay on your 650 for a while and cut that $3500 upgrade budget down a LOT.
Wait on the exhaust until you are sure you will keep the bike.
Maybe consider just a tail box to start vs panniers (assuming that is what you were planning).
Seat concepts seat upgrade vs Sargent/Corbin or other.
Look for used upgrades vs new. A bit of patients can cut cost significantly.

·
Registered
70 Posts

Looking for feedback. I just started riding this year and it is quickly becoming an addiction. I am 6'8" so this is one of the few bikes I can fit on comfortably (I really do not like the noise or feel of a cruiser/bagger. I feel like I'm smuggling a football). I bought the 2018 Versys 650 as my first bike and in about 1.5 months have around 4500 miles. I am obsessed with the bike. Fast, nimble, and really fun in the corners. My only negative comment is anything over 1.5 hours (90-100 miles) in the seat and my right shoulder starts hurting and the good ol' sit bone starts to get the pangs. That is about it. I was looking to put about $3500 into mods for it via new seat/exhaust/bags etcetera to have it be my everyday lifetime seasonal bike.

Here is the quandary... I love speed and windy roads which the v650 is a master at. With that said a dealer near me has a deal on a 2019 V1K SE LT that I having a hard time looking the other way. For essentially an extra 4k on top of what I was planning to spend + trade-in of my v650, I can upgrade to the 1k with all the gizmos out the door price of $13000 on a demo bike with only 1200 miles on it and manu warranty still intact.

I know it's going to be a bigger heavier bike, but has anyone made the change and wished they could go back? I was planning on getting the 1k as my next bike anyway, just not after 2 months and 4500 miles of riding. I sat on it and it just felt hubris right and I was smiling ear to ear, but I cannot test ride the bike the way I usually ride when stuck in urban America. I am fearful I will go to the 1k and lose the nimbleness of the bike and have buyers remorse. I am a pavement goblin and will explore any and every paved street, no offroad adventures, but if I can find a road with 55+ MPH speed limit and curve, I will do it multiple times, like the dragons tail in KT.

Will I have as much fun on the V1000 as I do on the V650? Should I just keep the 650 and start adding to it? Is getting a $5000 discount with no destination or set up fee ($1400) too good to pass up?
Have owned a 2012 650 Versys for 6 six years. Really enjoy riding it. Unbelievable in the turns and makes a boring commute a lot more fun. All riding on the street. A modified seat was a “rear end” saver. Bigger windscreen and wind deflector helped with the wind blast. The reliability is rock solid. The only knock on it now is the suspension is harsh and the fit just isn’t right for longer rides. One of my bucket list things is taking longer trips.

Purchased a 2019 V1000 SE + in March of this year. Took me quite a while to get used to the 1000. It’s (obviously) a bigger heaver bike compared to the 650. Was very apprehensive at first with the size/weight/power. Fast forward four months and almost 5000 miles and haven’t looked back. Love riding the V1K. Cruise control, electronic suspension, heated grips, different rider modes, good lighting (with cornering lights), better wind coverage and the engine is incredible. Lots of very smooth power from low R’s to redline. Passing other vehicles on a two lane highway is effortless. I’m definitely not a speed demon but the traffic moves really fast on the tollway around here. Doing 80 to 90 mph (just keeping up with traffic) is nothing for the V1K. The ride is very refined.

The mods to the V1K I’ve made so far are the MotoWerk Highway Pegs (thanks to weljo2001 for that! Check out his YouTube video) and a larger windscreen. The knocks I have with the V1K are the seat really stinks and there is a lot of heat that comes off the motor. Been a very hot summer and the heat was a little rough. The MotorWerk pegs really helped keep the feet/legs out of the heat bubble. Wouldn’t want to ride the V1K on a hot summer day in heavy traffic. On the other hand the V1K is awesome for riding in cold weather. Was able to ride with temperatures just above freezing (with lots of layers!). Will definitely be looking to replace the seat over the winter. Have taken trips with lots of twists and turns and the V1K seems competent but not as maneuverable as the 650. On the other hand, both bikes capabilities in the twisty stuff far exceed my own so not a super expert in that area.

So which bike is bike is more fun? Of course the answer is “it depends” but for me it’s the V1K that gets ridden most of the time. The plan was to keep the 650 for commuting and the V1K for longer trips but since the work from home stuff started it’s been the V1K that gets ridden. Two hour trips on the V1K are no issue (although the seat does my bottom no favors!) and have taken longer trips with stops – again no issues other than the seat. Assuming they don’t shut everything down again, was looking forward to taking some multi day trips in the fall with the V1K.

Good luck with your decision. I’m also impressed with 4.5K mikes in 1.5 months!

·
Registered
2017 Versys 1000k
231 Posts
I have the V1k and love it, especially on long runs. I’m 6’4” and have outfitted mine perfectly for cruising distances. Includes GPS, Adjustable Madstaad windshield, pegs, and more with zero complaints. I am selling it because I just purchased a new Goldwing and it fits how I ride these days better as a retiree wanting to do more serious miles. That said, we have 8 other V1k’s in my company today and they’re not going anywhere. Well loved. Don’t worry about the power, you can set it lower if you like, but it sounds like you will like it better at full power. Ours are almost flickable despite being liter bikes. It’s basically a slightly retuned a Ninja engine. The difference is that it’s not batcrap crazy and extremely well mannered and predictable. Love this motor. Rock solid, fast, dependable, smooth as silk.

I have a 2017 V1k for sale thats turnkey if you’re interested at only 5700 miles, loaded with options and mint without a scratch. Listed here...

Attachments

Reactions: Niko5569

·
Registered
8 Posts
so, basically we are not help at all! ;)
Some say yes, some say no. You really need to at least demo the 1V. I know you can't corner carve on it, but you''ll feel the fit, the powerband the to some degree the suspension. The 1V will likely have much better suspension and in terms of weight you may feel it, you may not depending on you as a rider. I am 5'7', 155 and I don't mind heavy/tall bike, except when 2 up. I LOVE power, but I have been riding for over 40 and I like to go fast, and I live in Colorado where I actually get to use that skill in a safer place (very few people)
take a test spin, then go with what your heart and your gut says. Brain not so much.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I'd stick with the 650. You're up in touring mode with the 1000. It will be more expensive to maintain. I have 30,000 miles on my 650...it's incredibly reliable and does all I need.

As a wise man once said, it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow

·
Registered
2017 Versys 1000k
231 Posts
The truth is the 650 and V1k are two entirely different bikes; each adept for different things. The 650 And it’s 2 cylinders is just plain versatile, nimble and fun. Several have been ridden around the globe in all sorts of crappy conditions on and off road. It’s strength is it’s versatility.

The V1k has 4 cylinders, strong, fast, smooth, comfy once you figure out the hellish seats. I use an Airhawk and all is well with my ass. I don’t use Corbin, and from what I’ve read here they could probably care less. The V1k is a battleship off road - not fun. But it’s not awkward or difficult to handle. In fact, it’s perfectly behaved and predictable. Few bikes can claim that. 2 up, there’s no other option. Plus it’ll carry almost 580! The V1k’s strength is the open road and it does it)s job well if you have the inseam for it. Several ladies here are riding them.

One model isn’t necessarily a step up or down from the other. Both deliver legendary Kawi dependability, but different experiences. Almost no one gets the extended warranty because it’s dear and rarely needed. It doesn’t cover the things most likely to happen.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Surely someone will have to comment about my take on the V1000.. but here it is. Reference: I'm on my 2nd V650 (gen 3), also comparing to Ninja 650, ZRX and several BMWs. And I only rode the V1000 for a short demo, back to back with a Z900. Everything people say above about handling, comfort, weight, etc. all good.

I loved the Z900 engine, hated the V1000. Made no sense to me, its smooth, has more power than the 650. I can't put my finger on it, but it felt lame and unexciting, while the Z900 was a blast.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Almost no one gets the extended warranty because it’s dear and rarely needed. It doesn’t cover the things most likely to happen.
I'm "almost no-one" riding 30K miles/year, and always get the extended warranty if I buy new or 'certified preowned". So far, I've come out ahead. Had a lemon of a 2015 V650, Kawi must have paid the dealer 1000s. The multiple tows alone paid for the extended warranty.

Then traded in for a 2019 model, so far so good. But a little over 20K miles is when the problems started on the 2015.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I would recommend keeping the bike you already like. There is no guarantee the seat on the 1K will feel any better after a long day in the saddle. I think you'd be better off investing in a custom seat or seat cushion of some sort.
Also, the 650 is a more forgiving bike. This is significant for newer riders, and welcome even for older ones. If you make a throttle mistake or get ham fisted, the 650 doesn't make enough power to spit you off for your transgression. Same thing if you misjudge a line through a corner.
I was a rider with average abilities. But I was frequently much faster on twisty roads with my '08 650than the kids with sport bikes having over twice the power I did. You have to have a much higher skillset to be able to use that power on the chicken strip edges of the tire.

·
Registered
2017 Versys 1000k
231 Posts
If you’re doing huge miles or huge runs, I totally agree with the extended warranty, if for nothing else but peace of mind. I’ve owned 6 Kawasaki bikes with over 250,000 miles on them with nary a claim that a warranty would have covered over the past 40 years and almost got one for my 2017. Looked at several threads here and decided not to. I do have one on my 2020 Goldwing DCT. Hate to imagine what a failure there would cost!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts