Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was all set to plunk down some $ and order the green plastics to convert my '11 over, but after seeing it and looking it over, I'm not so sure it is worth the $600 or so it would cost to convert it. It just didn't hit me like I thought it would.

Having ABS would be nice, but I would have a hard time plunking down the $4000 difference just to pick up ABS.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Not sure it makes a difference.

After some considerable miles. I have had to make some rather abrupt stops that I don't know if ABS would have mattered. Just saying.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After some considerable miles. I have had to make some rather abrupt stops that I don't know if ABS would have mattered. Just saying.
I ride a lot of chip and seal roads and have locked up the rear a few times pulling over too close to the edge of the road where the loose stuff lives. My big heavy touring bikes have ABS and I wouldn't want them without it.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
As an ABS compromise, good pads that provide good feedback make it a lot harder to accidentally lock up the front brake while panic braking or braking really hard. I use ebc hh pads.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
46 Posts
Before I got my 12' Versys I also thought that ABS was a bit of a "fancy" feature, that didnt really deserve to be on bikes. Now however, I would not buy another bike without ABS.

In the dry it's pretty rare that the front wheel locks. However in the wet, grip is never a simple measurement. Obviously I dont just rely on ABS to brake for me, but use it as a safety net. Although everyone has a different opinion regarding ABS on bikes, I gotta say that they are single handedly the biggest life saver on bikes.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'm against abs, it teaches riders to be lazy, this is just me because i have 2 bikes and 1 scooter.
I have never activated the ABS on my bikes. It is nice to know it is there when that "oh $hit" moment happens. You know, the one where the rider says "I had to lay it down", which really means they locked up the brakes and went down. I think ABS keeps you safe, not make you lazy

·
Registered
601 Posts
:Threadjack:
i'm against abs, it teaches riders to be lazy, this is just me because i have 2 bikes and 1 scooter.
From what I understand about ABS on bikes, with proper technique, executed with little to no error, you can stop in a shorter distance than you can with ABS. However, most people in panic situations are not able to apply proper braking technique, they often will end up locking the rear, which greatly increases your stopping distance (than if it's not locked), and of course increases the risk of high-siding. I think for most of us ABS would be of benefit in the panic braking situations. My guess is that even those who practice emergency braking regularly (we all should, but how many actually do...) that in a panic situation they'd still panic and lock the wheel.

Proper technique would be much more graceful and would earn some style points from me. :)

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have never activated the ABS on my bikes. It is nice to know it is there when that "oh $hit" moment happens. You know, the one where the rider says "I had to lay it down", which really means they locked up the brakes and went down. I think ABS keeps you safe, not make you lazy
You need to activate the ABS occasionally, to make sure the motor works. I have struck units on cars with a faulty motor.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:Threadjack:

From what I understand about ABS on bikes, with proper technique, executed with little to no error, you can stop in a shorter distance than you can with ABS. However, most people in panic situations are not able to apply proper braking technique, they often will end up locking the rear, which greatly increases your stopping distance (than if it's not locked), and of course increases the risk of high-siding. I think for most of us ABS would be of benefit in the panic braking situations. My guess is that even those who practice emergency braking regularly (we all should, but how many actually do...) that in a panic situation they'd still panic and lock the wheel.

Proper technique would be much more graceful and would earn some style points from me. :)
Wouldn't that mean with proper technique you would stop in the same distance with ABS or non ABS bikes? Because with proper technique you would never lock up the wheels which would mean ABS would not engage.

I think you mean with proper technique on a Non ABS bike you can stop faster than with an ABS bike with improper technique.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Wouldn't that mean with proper technique you would stop in the same distance with ABS or non ABS bikes? Because with proper technique you would never lock up the wheels which would mean ABS would not engage.

I think you mean with proper technique on a Non ABS bike you can stop faster than with an ABS bike with improper technique.
Yes. Thanks...

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts