Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stock clutch cable is not quite long enough for my anti-vibration ROX risers and Protaper Low Adventure handlebars. There must be a clutch cable off of a Versys 650, or Yamaha Seca II, Honda Shadow or SOMETHING that will work. $80 for Motion Pro to make a custom cable is just ridiculous. Has anyone found a replacement?

·
Registered
174 Posts
When I turned the wheel all the way to the right while navigating parking lots and such the clutch was being released, too tight, so I figured out how to keep my rox risers and my clutch cable.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
My advice is to invest in one of those 10$ clutch cable repair kits online and just build yourself a new one. Use the housing/tube from the orignal clutch cable but give it an extra bit of wire to meet your needs. Should work fine.

·
Registered
174 Posts
You don't need a longer cable you need a longer jacket when you turn the bars to the right the jacket gets so tight it pulls the inner cable.

Unsurprisingly buying the lower handlebars worked for me.

But yeah, the longer inner cable only won't fix the issue.

·
Registered
64 Posts
On second thought, Holeshot might be right here. I don't have my bike in front of me at the moment so I can't say for certain how the clutch cable fits in, but if I recall correctly the outer jacket does fit into slots on both ends and the way that fit happens is non-negotiable, meaning the benefits of a longer inner cable become irrelevant. I would try rerouting as Holeshot suggested.

·
Registered
174 Posts
On second thought, Holeshot might be right here. I don't have my bike in front of me at the moment so I can't say for certain how the clutch cable fits in, but if I recall correctly the outer jacket does fit into slots on both ends and the way that fit happens is non-negotiable, meaning the benefits of a longer inner cable become irrelevant. I would try rerouting as Holeshot suggested.
The rerouting helped a little but not enough for me, might be enough for others or with a really sloppy clutch handle you might get away with it maybe... When I took it for a test ride later that day I pulled into a gravel lot with concrete barriers. I turned full right to get around the barriers and was barely moving because the clutch was pulled in just from the cable being so tight.

The VX bars are pretty high I measured about a 90-100mm rise (it's not really easy to measure it's kind of an eyeball guess sort of thing) the rox risers are about a 40-50mm rise so I bought handle bars with a 50mm rise to bring the overall height back down to stockish cable position I guess you would call it. I'm 6'2" with 34" inseam and have the seat concepts tall seat the bike feels perfect now.

For what it's worth I also tried to call motion pro and email them about a custom cable and they didn't answer either.

The handlebars and rox risers together are the best money I've spent on the bike highly recommend it. Vibration has been greatly reduced and they look tough as nails.

·
Registered
514 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts