Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading the thread about dealer sevice and thinking about going out and checking all of the nuts and bolts I could find. That got me thinking about Loctite. When should you use it? I seems like it would keep most any bolt from loosening from vibration.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The shop manual sometime recommends when to use it. i use a torque wrench when they give a torque number and never really have a problem. keep it away from ABS plastic or it will cause small cracks to develop, the side panel are ABS or PVC not sure which one but i would not use it on any bolts or screws near it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I was reading the thread about dealer sevice and thinking about going out and checking all of the nuts and bolts I could find. That got me thinking about Loctite. When should you use it? I seems like it would keep most any bolt from loosening from vibration.
If it's a Chinese bike, you should dip the bike in it!! ;)

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Louckily it isn't made in China! Their website says to use it only on metal to metal contact.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Metal to metal is a good standard. I have no experience with metal to other contact use.

In our old motocross days we would take every bolt out and loctite them after purchasing the bike.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Metal to metal is a good standard. I have no experience with metal to other contact use.

In our old motocross days we would take every bolt out and loctite them after purchasing the bike.

+1, still do. It can't hurt. Use the recommended Loctite product {ie, removeable, non-removable}, where its appropriate. Anytime the bike is serviced, a little dab will do 'ya.......:)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Keep in mind whenever you use Loctite or any thing put on threads, it changes the torque spec.

About 50% of friction is from under the screw head, about 35% from the threads and only 15% goes to preload tension.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I've only used it on every thread that holds the mirrors together. NOW I have no mirror problems (loosening up) at freeway speeds into a headwind.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts