Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After long deliberation, I finally decided on what and where to mount some auxiliary lights. I first had to wait for my Hepco & Becker crash bars, to come back from being powder coated. I had the idea of mounting some Piaa's off the bars, somehow.
After installing the bars, that gave me a better idea of what lamps to get. I chose the Piaa 004X/XT, with the thought of mounting the lamps to the ends of the crash bars center section. But if I did that, I would have to fab a new center section with ear extensions for the lamps.
While measuring and giving things careful consideration, I came up with a new location. This location would take fewer resources and less time to fab. So far it has.

I'm still in the mock up stage. I'll be making the bracket out of some sturdier material. And the beauty of this bracket is one pattern for both sides. All that is needed is to bend the ear in the other direction.

I'm also installing a aux fuse panel under the dash. It will cut down on the wires needed from the battery to the lamps, Sirius, Battery Tender plug and power port plug. More to follow on that end.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bracket will mount to the top radiator cover location, just above the turn signal. I'm in the process of finding the aluminum stock to make them. Guess I could fab a second set, or more if it's profitable.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
When you make the actual bracket, either use a gusset or make the bend with a generous radius to avoid having it buzz and crack along the bend.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Like the idea in general. There's one thing I wonder...will they wash out your turn signals?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That looks good! And so does your powder coated crash bars!!
Thanks! Yea, the shop that did the powder coat did a great job. Turns out I could have save myself a good chunk of change if I didn’t order a special order powder. Turned out their stock metallic silver was a closer match to the bike’s silver metallic. For the untrained eye, ya can’t tell.

When you make the actual bracket, either use a gusset or make the bend with a generous radius to avoid having it buzz and crack along the bend.
I’ll be using extruded aluminum angle. You’re right; I may have to gusset the bend. We’ll see if that’s necessary. I’m confident the material will be sufficient to hold up and not cause oscillation (buzz).

Like the idea in general. There's one thing I wonder...will they wash out your turn signals?
I thought about that. These lamps are driving not fog, so the beam is focused. I don’t think it will be a problem. Haven’t gotten that far along in the process to find out. All I can say is watch for a follow up.

Hi If6was9,

The light and HB looks Good:thumb:
Bones asked a good question, though...
At full left lock, is the aux light blocked?
Regardless, it's :thumb:

:cheers:
The lamps don’t interfere with the steering head or forks. If the beam is blocked at full lock, who cares. My point is, while you’re under way at speed, God forbid you have the bike at full turn. That would mean one thing… you’re goin’ down.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brackets fabbed and mounted. Now the fun part, gettin' them wired.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Piaa driving lights brackets

:yeahsmile:if6was9, should you not have time to fabricate your brackets for a possible group buy or for several of us; why not consider sending us a template in 1:1 size in order to make one for ourselves. Thanks for your consideration...I love this forum!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry about the update delay, 20,000,000 things to do. I finally got the wiring done. I was able to find a mount point for the provided Piaa relay, along with a secondary fuse box under the fairing. That way I have one wire back to the battery for the lamps, Sirius, power plug (not yet mounted) and Battery Tender plug. I'm still looking for a waterproof push button switch for the Sirius power supply.
I had a chance to ride over weekend last, and one annoyance did present it's self. The lamps throw off a nice beam, but they also light up the forks and fairing cavity. I may try to come up with a visor for that. No vibration (buzzing) and from what I can see, no problem with the turn signals getting washed out. I'd like to actually see what the bike looks like at a intersection to get a better review.
Great lamps! Love the additional light they provide, and the color of them makes you more visible.

For those who would like a pattern, ping me a private message with your address. I'll send the pattern via postcard.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 16 of 16 Posts