1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
210 Posts
Why not use the knockout to the left of the panel? Perhaps a bit more time to install, but it'll leave you a cleaner install...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Did a similar thing to Squishman - mounted power outlet on bracket inside LH fairing on a 15 V. Did this primarily because (1) the genuine power outlet is still not available in Oz and (2) I did not want to hook it up through the ignition system.
That is, I wanted it live all the time. This is because I do a lot of camping and use the bike to charge phone, tablet, e-book reader and camera batteries after I have stopped for the night. Can't do this with the genuine power outlet as it only works while ignition is on.

FWIW, every electrical device I install on the bike is fused.

BruceC

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not use the knockout to the left of the panel? Perhaps a bit more time to install, but it'll leave you a cleaner install...

I would definitely like to, but if you plug something in, the hand guard will bust it right off when you were to turn the bars to the right.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did a similar thing to Squishman - mounted power outlet on bracket inside LH fairing on a 15 V. Did this primarily because (1) the genuine power outlet is still not available in Oz and (2) I did not want to hook it up through the ignition system.
That is, I wanted it live all the time. This is because I do a lot of camping and use the bike to charge phone, tablet, e-book reader and camera batteries after I have stopped for the night. Can't do this with the genuine power outlet as it only works while ignition is on.

FWIW, every electrical device I install on the bike is fused.

BruceC
Can you post a photo BC?

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
or you could do what i did but i dont have a 15

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'll use Motojunkie's install steps, but since I have a '15 with OEM hand guards, I'll mount it on the bar just inside the fairing. Should be a terrific place. Here is the one I ordered: http://www.ebay.com/itm/300991747646?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
The bracket looks like it'll go there hopefully easy enough. Any other '15 owners do something similar?
Cycle gear sells the same outlet. You can get if for $12.49 when they have them on sale. The only downside is the bracket is plastic and mine cracked this winter. I fabbed a bracket from sheet metal and attached it to the clutch perch behind my RAM mount.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I'm using bc6805's idea and putting it inside the left fairing on the bar. Very accessible there and will not interfere with the fork when turning as long as it is mounted straight up and down and not angled in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts