Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed Stebel loud horns on my last two bikes (1975 BMW R90S, 1996 Honda ST1100) for safety reasons. Now I want to do the same thing on my 2017 Versys 650 but there is a big problem: I can't find the space to put it where it is protected from water and debris, especially that kicked up from the front tire. I have removed the middle fairing but can't seem to find a place.
Has anyone else installed one of these and where did you put it?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have not yet had the opportunity to fit one to a Versys 650 and look forward to it.
However I have had a Nautilus clone facing forward and mounted pretty low on a Shadow VT750 for 7 years and about 40,000 km.
It has woken a few drivers up.
Rain or shine it has worked for me. I think it is pretty tolerant of location as long as it is well wired.
It is still there and still works. First picture is soon after I installed it, Second picture a couple of years ago and it gives a better idea of what it faces.

Please excuse the off topic ride.

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Plant Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that's interesting. For both the Stebel and the Denali horns the instructions caution to mount them in protected locations to avoid damage from water etc.
Yours seems to be in the most vulnerable location possible with the output facing forward. Maybe I'm being too conservative.
No excuse needed. It's not clear but I hope you enjoy your V650 when you get it; I've been very pleased even after a number of large displacement sport/touring bikes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah I actually made a bracket for the other side at the top of the radiator and didn't like the look of it, so I put it in the stock horn location and figured it was physically protected by the crash bar and if it died I'd rethink it. I can imagine water and freezing could murder the diaphragm. I've had trumpet style Fiamm and Stebel air horns in engine compartments on a number of European cars over the years without a problem, the trumpets were pointed slightly downward though.

·
Super Moderator
21,363 Posts
I mounted mine ('15 V650) under the left-side gas-tank fairing.

Stebel11 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Now replaced by a WOLO Bad Boy "Nautilus" clone. Works GREAT...!

IMG_0868 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

HIGHLY recommended.

(y)(y)

:cool:

·
Premium Member
16,308 Posts
On my 09 V-650 i mounted my Stebel to the tab circled in yellow on the photo. Was like that for years. Never had any issues and i rode in all types of weather....

IMG_0123 by weljo2001, on Flickr

On my Versys 1000. I had to separate the horn and trim down the excess black plastic to mount under the front fairing using multiple zip-ties.Again never any issues... You can see the trumpet part of the horn circled in red... You will need a piece of tubing or fuel line and a brass nipple and a small clamp to attach the tubing to the nipple. that way you can place the trumpet and the compressor as close or far apart as needed..

P1020259 by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Registered
86 Posts
Here's how I did mine, plus extra ideas from a few others

1 - 8 of 8 Posts