Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Watched the whole thing and while it is a good message it is also propaganda. Pennsylvania paid for it and if they were serious about motorcycle safety they would require helmets. In they video they were pushing the rider course which I have no problem with. I took the rider course in PA when I lived there. The disturbing thing about the rider course in PA is that about half of the people in the class were mainly taking the class so they would not have to wear a helmet. In PA you have to wear a helmet while you have a motorcycle permit and for 2 years after getting you license. The incentive they use to get people to take the course is that upon completion you get your license and don't have to wear a helmet. At least the course in free in PA.

·
Registered
901 Posts
As I have said before....the best safety device is your brain, hardened with knowledge wrapped in experience and common sense.....

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Watched the whole thing and while it is a good message it is also propaganda. Pennsylvania paid for it and if they were serious about motorcycle safety they would require helmets. In they video they were pushing the rider course which I have no problem with. I took the rider course in PA when I lived there. The disturbing thing about the rider course in PA is that about half of the people in the class were mainly taking the class so they would not have to wear a helmet. In PA you have to wear a helmet while you have a motorcycle permit and for 2 years after getting you license. The incentive they use to get people to take the course is that upon completion you get your license and don't have to wear a helmet. At least the course in free in PA.
Is that true BC? It is disturbing.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I did some quick research and all of this info can be found at:

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Internet/Bureaus/pdBHSTE.nsf/BHSTEHomepage?OpenFrameset

fatal motorcycle crashes in PA

1998: 107
1999: 109
2000: 150
2001: 126
2002: ? there were no records for this year an no explanation as to why there were none
2003: 153
2004: 152
2005: 201
2006: 186
2007: 226
2008: 231

In 2003 the motorcycle helmet law was repealed in PA. The new law requires anyone under 21 to wear a helmet until they turn 21. Anyone who has had their license for less than 2 years also must wear a helmet. If you pass the PA motorcycle safety course you are issued your license and the 2 year waiting period is waived. When I took the rider course everyone there was using it as a way to get their license. I'd say roughly half of them were also there for the added perk of not having to wear a helmet.

Since 2003 there is a definite increase in motorcycle fatalities. I'm not saying all fatal crashes are head injuries, just that there is a correlation. Other factors such as an increase in motorcycles registered would also cause the number of fatal crashes to increase.

My problem with the website and the documentary is that the state repealed the helmet law and fatal motorcycle crashes more than double. Then the state puts out this piece of propaganda under the guise of a grass roots movement, in an attempt to reign in the number of deaths. The message the website presents is a good one I just don't like the politics behind it. The helmet law was repealed to gain votes and people have died because of it.

Ok. I'm done, somebody kick me off of my soapbox.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
good point :thumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts