Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Broke my ignition key yesterday. But it broke in one of my side cases and not the ignition.
I knew the metal was weak because it had been twisted before. Plus I had a spare made some time ago but never bothered to hide it on the bike. So my good wife rescued me with the spare key.
Anyway, live and learn through my mistakes. I do realize it could have been worse. Now I'm off to get another key (or two) made.

·
Premium Member
16,222 Posts
I carry 3 keys with me i have the 2 stock keys on different key rings. One i have on a key ring with all my house keys that i keep in the top case. The other stock key i have on a key ring with my give top case key i keep in my pants pocket. The 3rd key i keep it single to use on the ignition. My spare give top case key i keep in my wallet.

·
Super Moderator
19,629 Posts
I attached a spare ignition key to EACH of my Vs, w/ clear silicone, in an 'out-of-the-way' place.

PROBABLY be a 'bear' to get it OFF, but at least it's THERE!

:yeahsmile:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a spare key too. And this just reminded me I had better go find where it is and relocate it to my boot, or somewhere else sensible.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I need to get a spare key. I only have 1 right now. Never would have thought of the key breaking being an issue.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Never would have thought of the key breaking being an issue.
If you keep the locks 'lubricated' it is generally not a problem There is great debate somewhere here about what to use as a cleaner/lubricant, some use WD-40, I prefer graphite powder as recommended by a locksmith with many years of experience.

Another problem area is the locking gas cap. When opening and closing the cap I always push down just forward of the key slot to enable an easy turn of the key vs forcing the lock while the cap is under the always present upward pressure of the cap.

If you use those techniques key bending/breaking should not be a problem in my opinion.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I should clarify that BREAKING an ignition key is unlikely (I would think) to happen to most of you. This issue is more a product of the Vx-300 and their optional Kawi side cases - that utilize the ignition key.

These plastic budget side cases are 'dealer installed' to match the lock cylinders with the ignition key. And the locking mechanism is not great quality either. It pretty much is a two-handed operation -pressing down the case top while simultaneously turning the key with the other hand. In my instance, it was too many turns of the key trying to do it one-handed and the key would twist, and then I would twist it back. So I knew the metal was vulnerable.

Losing a key is another matter, and of course having a spare (somewhere) is the ounce of prevention.

·
Super Moderator
19,629 Posts
I have a spare key duct taped to inside calf of my motorcycle boot.
I have SEVERAL pairs of riding boots, so this would NOT work for me....

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Another problem area is the locking gas cap. When opening and closing the cap I always push down just forward of the key slot to enable an easy turn of the key vs forcing the lock while the cap is under the always present upward pressure of the cap.

If you use those techniques key bending/breaking should not be a problem in my opinion.

This for sure

1 - 15 of 15 Posts