Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen a list of compatible oil filters for the 650. Anyone know of any? Planned on changing oil today. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
16,307 Posts
Theres one on a thread somewhere. But....You can get a Bosch 3300 oil filter at the Auto Parts stores for about 5 bucks...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Theres one on a thread somewhere. But....You can get a Bosch 3300 oil filter at the Auto Parts stores for about 5 bucks...
Yeah, I did another search and found the thread. The Bosch 3300 is what I got and it's 6.99 at AZ and 7.49 at O'Reilly's.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The new base plate design with Bosch and Purolator automotive oil filters may cause problems.

"The message below is what I received from Bosch regarding my inquiry about the filter change.

Mr. XXXXX
My name is XXXX XXXX I am in Product Development and I understand you had an issue with one of our filters.
First I would like to apologize for the delayed reply but I wanted to be sure I had my facts correct before contacting you.
You are correct about the Bosch 3300 Oil filter and the different look to the filter plus a larger (taller) gasket.
At the end of last year Bosch changed the base plate for this filter so it would have a better thread adhesion to the applications we recommend.
We only recommend (and always have) this particular for automobiles and not motorcycles so when fit tests were conducted motorycyles were never part of our scope.

There was a little more to this message but not relevant to post.

So those of you that are still finding 3300's with the concave base plate are obviously finding old stock. Load up now if you can find some."

Bosch 3300 Oil Filter No Longer Fits Our Bikes - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
Well crap! I'll have to go look then.

EDIT: It's the flat one... I'll have to go find another one. Glad you posted this; or, I'd be spending more time and money than I needed to.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Geeze thanks, Invader, I just ordered four replacement 3300's yesterday.:crying:

I will examine when order arrives and report what I find, I still have a NOS in the box for comparison.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took back the Bosch 3300 and exchanged it for a Mobil1 108. It is still concave at the center; but flat where the holes are. Hopefully, I will not have any trouble with this filter. The O'Reilly's I went to was a bit under supplied with brands.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Why not just buy a proper oil filter for your bike? Is saving a dollar to two worth it in the long run? I would not put a cheap auto shop filter on my bike. I use Hi-Flo filters and they are only a few bucks more but you know what you are getting.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why not just buy a proper oil filter for your bike? Is saving a dollar to two worth it in the long run? I would not put a cheap auto shop filter on my bike. I use Hi-Flo filters and they are only a few bucks more but you know what you are getting.
Do I know what I am getting? Maybe I do, maybe not. I do know the filter I bought today was not a cheap filter.

There is only one bike shop in my city which would have the filters. Because of this, they can practically charge what they want. Besides, I've been using el cheapo filters for years and have not had any ill effects.

You must be the type that thinks buying a brand name = better product. Go tell that to the Hurly guys.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I use the Pureone PL14610.
I have been using the PL14612 which is the shorter version of the PL14610. Since the PL14610 is longer and cheaper on amazon.com right now, I will likely be using the PL14610 in the future. I have had no problems with the bike so far.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I used a NAPA Gold 1365 for my last oil change.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just picked up a Fram XG6607 for my next oil change. They are a well made and highly regarded filter.

·
Premium Member
16,307 Posts
Had this filter since 2010 on the Versys now on the FJR. Over 40,000 miles and finally switch out the O-Ring for the spare that was provided....No issues.......

IMG_0120 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
20,641 Posts
I've been using the Fram TG 7317 or "some-other-letters" 7317 for quite some time, bought from WalMart.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Mobil 1 M-108 filters still fit. Put one on today with oil change.

EDIT: I don't know what brand of oil the dealer used, but there is a night and day difference after I dumped in some Rotella T 15w40. The bike shifts as smooth as butter now.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Mobil 1 M-108 filters still fit. Put one on today with oil change.

EDIT: I don't know what brand of oil the dealer used, but there is a night and day difference after I dumped in some Rotella T 15w40. The bike shifts as smooth as butter now.
If you think that is good, try the T6 5w40.

·
Registered
720 Posts
1 - 20 of 63 Posts