Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for gloves to wear when it's raining but not terribly cold, say 60 F and up. I'd prefer Gore-Tex or some kind of waterproof / breathable material. Most of the Gore-Tex gloves I see are for winter, and they're very bulky. Anyone have a recommendation?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I'm looking for gloves to wear when it's raining but not terribly cold, say 60 F and up. I'd prefer Gore-Tex or some kind of waterproof / breathable material. Most of the Gore-Tex gloves I see are for winter, and they're very bulky. Anyone have a recommendation?
Amazon has a TON to choose from. I've had pretty good luck with these:
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JG4OB5Q?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00
They aren't too bulky and have been very waterproof
OR these: They are a bit more but lighter and still good protection:
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0089SOBLE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00
MANY MANY more to choose from. Just take your time and do some research.

Reactions: Jim Nazium

·
Registered
377 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
I've had a number of "waterproof" gloves and they all seem to fail on extended downpours after a few months

these have never failed - Firstgear Rubber Over Gloves Adult Size Small | eBay

they are basicly just black rubber kitchen gloves that fit over your regular gloves.

so these would probably work also
WP133390 Natural Rubber Gloves - Grainger Industrial Supplyor other similar style
So aesthetically pleasing that the rain doesn't want to touch such a thing.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
its black at least so not noticeable especially during rain. a lot of the "waterproof" gloves only have a waterproof liner so they still get soaked and heavy and cold and take days to dry out.

when I've got a full rain suit on the over gloves blend right in.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I do the same as Silv. I've never seemed to have issues with hand perspiration either. I just take the good ol milking nitrile gloves we use on the farm and toss them in the bag for the rainy day
there also great for when your cleaning your chain (if you a baby who cant handle some scuzz on your hands)>:)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rubber gloves? Man, those just just make my hands perspire and get colder faster. Gotta have material that breathes.
Yeah, I made that mistake once. My hands perspired and got all clammy inside the gloves. Then I stopped for gas, took the gloves off to work the pump, and the moisture inside the gloves got really cold. When I put them back on it was brutal. Never again. If it works for you that's great, but for me, I need something that breathes.

·
Super Moderator
19,023 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,113 Posts
I've got a good collection of gloves trying to find what you are looking for. Got tired of wasting my money and bought some ATV Mitts. Best thing that i've found.....

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
303 leather marine spray, like 3M for textiles.
303 Aerospace Cleaner,303 Aerospace Protectant, 303 products
How do you think waterproof leather goods are made?? Goretex is better, but not that much better: it still gets water-logged. Imitation goretex and chemicals is just as good or better if you never use chemical protectants.

I've got some for my leather jackets, boots, and gloves. Fortunately, I can take my time in CA. There's also cleaning with olive oil and vinegar and saddle soap before hand.
How-To: Clean Your Leather Jacket | LeatherUp Blog

And then the cheap rain gear: Frogg Toggs, plus boot covers (but it does not collapse and store as good: however it does breath.)

The other textiles and leather require 303 or 3M to stay waterproof anyway. Blow $500 on tops and bottoms or spend $60 on a couple of quarts of what you will need to keep the expensive rain gear working anyway (if you wash it or clean it or get rained on.):grin2:

I've got 3 different types of $30 pairs of comfortable goat skin gloves that need cleaning and then I'm going to experiment with the 303 leather protectant on those first. I'll have to pour water on them to test them out, rather than wait a year to get rained on in CA. ymmv

Gloves and boots will probably be the best use of 303 spray and just use Frog Togg over coat and over pants for breathable cover (for most of the time anyway.)

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
303 leather marine spray, like 3M for textiles.
303 Aerospace Cleaner,303 Aerospace Protectant, 303 products
How do you think waterproof leather goods are made?? Goretex is better, but not that much better: it still gets water-logged. Imitation goretex and chemicals is just as good or better if you never use chemical protectants.

I've got some for my leather jackets, boots, and gloves. Fortunately, I can take my time in CA. There's also cleaning with olive oil and vinegar and saddle soap before hand.
How-To: Clean Your Leather Jacket | LeatherUp Blog

And then the cheap rain gear: Frogg Toggs, plus boot covers (but it does not collapse and store as good: however it does breath.)

The other textiles and leather require 303 or 3M to stay waterproof anyway. Blow $500 on tops and bottoms or spend $60 on a couple of quarts of what you will need to keep the expensive rain gear working anyway (if you wash it or clean it or get rained on.):grin2:

I've got 3 different types of $30 pairs of comfortable goat skin gloves that need cleaning and then I'm going to experiment with the 303 leather protectant on those first. I'll have to pour water on them to test them out, rather than wait a year to get rained on in CA. ymmv

Gloves and boots will probably be the best use of 303 spray and just use Frog Togg over coat and over pants for breathable cover (for most of the time anyway.)
for my leather products I use Otter Wax...it's made here in Portland Oregon...Leather Care Kit | Otter Wax

:wink2:

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I do the same as Silv. I've never seemed to have issues with hand perspiration either. I just take the good ol milking nitrile gloves we use on the farm and toss them in the bag for the rainy day
i go to harbor freight and get a box of cheap gloves under my normal riding gloves so my hand stay dry and a bit warmer

X-Large Nitrile Gloves - 100 Pack, 5 Mil, Powder-Free
I use these working on the bike especially on chains etc, within 5 mins my hands are sweating. I couldn't use them riding.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Have to agree on Frog Toggs

Rather inexpensive for a breathable garment and water proof

Last season went for a ride and soon it's started raining

Being already moderately wet, I stopped to put on the Frog kit (jacket and pant), over my wet gear, and all went well
For the rest of the ride, it prevented me gear to get way more wet

Also, if you are on the "plus" side of "big", they have large sizing choice

But also have to agree on the size of the stored garment, it's not small

My 2 cents

LOP

1 - 20 of 32 Posts