Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'd be happy to build you a set - I run a professional automotive/motorcycle custom lighting business. [email protected] if you're interested. Otherwise, it's pretty straightforward, just requires some soldering and some hot glue work. The OEM wiring connections/plugs are kept the same.
Tulsazorro, I'm near Raleigh NC so just south of you and SS7 I may email you as well about what you did. It's very cool.

·
Registered
Kawasaki Versys 2019 ABS
179 Posts
Wantimg to know if anyone has a) added more lights up front and b) did anything with the rear brake light. My thoughts are (in the name of safety) to add more lights up front. I've seen kits to add two more lights that mount to the plastic off the gas tank. Instead of one center light, onseers will see 3. Second, I'm trying to find a way to make the brake light more noticeable. I've seen some bikes where the brake light flashes when the brake is engaged. Has anyone messed with any of this? Suggestions? Products?

Thanks much!
dkelley,

Check this out. I have done these mods on my bike:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’ve borrowed some ideas from other users here. I started with a Custom LED tail light which flashes when I brake. They sell pigtails that make it easy to have one side flash yellow along with the turn signal without splicing anything, as my skills there aren’t great. (You can run them without the OEM turn signals, but that defeated my aim of more=better.) I added some of those LED strips that run white as a running light, and flash yellow with the turn signals, and used two more of the pigtails to set that up. (The wires on those strips are barely wider than a hair, so I still had to solder, but they easily unplug for fairing removal.) Those are on my hand guards. I added LED turn signal bulbs and flasher unit so everything blinks at the right speed. And I swapped the city light bulbs for LEDs as well. I’ll be adding Aurora driving lights with a Skene dimmer as soon as I decide how I want them set up. I bought and installed the mounting bracket (I think SW Moto?) when it became available, because they didn’t seem to be available often, and I didn’t want to wait on them later. They are very solid mounts, putting the lights where the OEM ones go, and I’m hoping they will still fit if I ever get the T-Rex crashbar I want. I wanted to remove the metal plates in the turn signals for crash protection as I’ve seen in threads here, but I couldn’t get the darned screws to loosen, and wasn’t ready to destroy them only to find I needed them later. I’m leaving the headlight as is because I’m in traffic most of the time, and there’s a pretty fine line between enough light to be seen by, and so much unfocused light that they are blinded by me. I think that’s enough lighting, but…

·
Super Moderator
21,531 Posts
You remove the metal plate, as well as the screws. Bike went 'down' a month back, knocking one front signal OUT, but nothing was broken, so back together in a minute!

·
Registered
10 Posts
View attachment 180401
Here is the best pic I could find of the front aux lights. They are wired through the aux relay so they only run when the bike is on but they also have a switch on the handlebars so they can be turned off; although I've never ridden with them off since installing them. I initially bought some 40W lights from AliExpress but they were entirely too bright for use in traffic. These are 10W single LED lights and I still have them pointed way down to avoid blinding oncoming traffic. They do make the bike much more visible from the front.
Is that the relay under the seat next to the battery?

·
Registered
997 Posts
but they also have a switch on the handlebars so they can be turned off; although I've never ridden with them off since installing them. I initially bought some 40W lights
You can make your own hi-lo switch with either a resistor or PWM dimmer. This allows you to use your aux lights as low power daytime running lights and have some real high powered aux lights when you need them. You could also make it a 3way switch with off though I use mine as low level daytime running lights always wired into the keyed off aux circuit.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle

21 - 29 of 29 Posts