Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you have mounted driving lights on the V when you don't have crash bars. I am looking at finding a braket that would allow me to mount lights between the front forks or under the fairing.

Let me know if you've seen or used something similar. Speedy, this might be a new item for you to design!!!

Also, any recommendations on lights other than the PIAA, kind of expensive.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a set of Piaa 1100x driving lights that I am going to mount where the reflectors are on the front forks. I had hoped to do it this week but I'm taking the V to the Gulf Coast of Florida for a couple of days. As far as motorcycle stuff is concerned, it will be priority 1 next week. I'll post pictures of what it looks like.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Driving light wattage

been wondering that myself, as far as lights go, is there a wattage limitation?
This was a response that I got to a similar asked question:

2xadv
Junior Member Join Date: Apr 2008

Alternator vs. lights

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Versys at 4000 rpm 14V = 336 watts total.
Bike uses about 130 watts to run (Including low-beam).
2x 55W added lights are OK, but with base 130W + high beam 55W + (2x 55w) driving lights 110w + 100W heated Jacket + 20W heated grips the total (>400w) is over the alternator output. I would turn off the high beams with the laser cannons on. I would at least turn off the Jacket liner, grips and laser cannons a few minutes before landing to give the battery a chance to charge-up some.

I installed HID 35W for the low beams, so I am saving 20W that way with the 35W HIDs still brighter than the standard 55W bulb

·
Registered
32 Posts
This was a response that I got to a similar asked question:

2xadv
Junior Member Join Date: Apr 2008

Alternator vs. lights

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Versys at 4000 rpm 14V = 336 watts total.
Bike uses about 130 watts to run (Including low-beam).
2x 55W added lights are OK, but with base 130W + high beam 55W + (2x 55w) driving lights 110w + 100W heated Jacket + 20W heated grips the total (>400w) is over the alternator output. I would turn off the high beams with the laser cannons on. I would at least turn off the Jacket liner, grips and laser cannons a few minutes before landing to give the battery a chance to charge-up some.

I installed HID 35W for the low beams, so I am saving 20W that way with the 35W HIDs still brighter than the standard 55W bulb
Trying to determine the wattage output of the alternator as I us electrically heated jacket liner and gloves. Service manuel says only 8 amps. (or about 112watts) . Your information of 336 watts (or about about 24 amps.) seems more likely. It is a 3 phase alternator I wonder if the service manuel is giving the amperage output for only one leg of the alternator? The Suzuki V-Strom has 375 watts or 400 watts 2007 model year and later.
Where did you get your information from. I could live with 336 watts, but not 112 watts.
Appreciate any information any of you members might have on this concern. Need to know before I buy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts