Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ya know how they say most traffic accidents happen within 5 miles of your home? Well, I think most other types of mishaps are the same.

So, there I was, 2.3 miles from my driveway. Almost home from work.
It's hot today, like it's been for most of a month now and certainly all of this month so far. I'm semi-squidding, with steel toe boots, motorcycle pants, gloves and helmet, but I left my jacket in my pannier.

SMACK! Killed a bee on my right bicep. Looked at my arm where it hit and saw nothing but bug parts. It didn't feel good. No sooner had I confirmed its complete death, when... SMACK! Left bicep. Seriously?? This one still hurts. I think it got rear ended, but 65 was a little too fast for a full sting.

I showed my kids. Instead of sympathy, I got "that's why you don't squid! Wear your jacket!"

Now that I think about it, I'm technically only required to feed one of them anymore...

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's bad news when a European killer wasp flies in through the open helmet visor.
My first helmet (Bieffe, I believe?) was given to me second hand and had no visor. Something I was certain was a large wasp flew in through the open view port and lodged between my temple and the cheek pad on one side.

I had that helmet off FAST. Turned out to be a moth, but the lesson was learned. I went out and bought a proper helmet immediately.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've had all sorts of bugs enter my helmets over the years,
but bees and wasps are the worst... like you, it's pull
over fast and get the helmet off.

One day I was doing about 120kmh with the visor open,
the day was hot and I was wearing a pair of Rayban Aviators,
so my eyes were protected, but what I think was a big flying
grass hopper went kersplat
on the cheek pad of the helmet and sprayed the interior of my helmet
face and mouth with thick yellow goo... having said that,
it didn't taste too bad.

If I remember correctly I shot this grass hopper with my first digital
camera, a 1.3meg BenQ... how times have changed:

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Considering that on average a person spends the majority of their time within 5 miles of their home, coupled with the fact that our brains get lazy when in familiar territory and fill in the blanks of our vision with memories, it is no wonder.

Like the guys at work who just finished wrenching on something and want to take it for a test ride but don't bother gearing up. "It is a test ride!" Yep, Murphy's Law kicks in.

·
Super Moderator
19,395 Posts
...One day I was doing about 120kmh with the visor open, the day was hot and I was wearing a pair of Rayban Aviators so my eyes were protected, but what I think was a big flying grass hopper went kersplat on the cheek pad of the helmet and sprayed the interior of my helmet
face and mouth with thick yellow goo... having said that,...it didn't taste too bad....
Laughed till I had tears in my eyes!

(y)(y)

:)

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Ah yes, the agony and humiliation. I still carry a half inch horizontal scar just to the left of my nose from impacting a three pound June Bug many years ago. I was certain is was composed of depleted uranium! That was the end of open face helmets for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts