Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strange issue with the V. License plate bulb keeps burning out. Replaced once, next day it was burned out. Checked wires under seat, they looked good. Replaced bulb again, and noticed a bit of a kink in the wire to the lamp. Bulb is burned out again. Any ideas? My guess is the kink is causing some issues and I should replace this part of the wiring with a new one.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
a kink in a wire isn't like a kink in a garden hose either it's flowing what the charging system supplies or it's shorted
only that light???
does the headlight seem brighter at night?
did you throw a volt meter on the battery?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Strange issue with the V. License plate bulb keeps burning out. Replaced once, next day it was burned out. Checked wires under seat, they looked good. Replaced bulb again, and noticed a bit of a kink in the wire to the lamp. Bulb is burned out again. Any ideas? My guess is the kink is causing some issues and I should replace this part of the wiring with a new one.
If it was something wrong with the wiring you would more likely be having trouble with blown fuses. I think your bulbs go due to vibrations. Maybe you just got bad replacement bulbs. (You're not putting 6 volt bulbs in, are you? :eek:)
Check the inner parts of the rear light - make sure that everything there is where it should be...
Try one more bulb of a different brand before you do anything else.
And as said, check the voltage in the system.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies.

Battery was replaced 2 months ago, along with a new stator. New bulbs are the right size. Only this lamp is having issues. All others are working fine.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Go LED... brighter and don't burn out.. if it goes out then there is a wiring problem for sure.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Could be bouncing around back there and excessive vibrations can kill an incandescent bulb. Mine entire assembly was loose from the factory. If so, I did a quick write up on how to sung it up.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8557

Thanks for the suggestion Capn. I looked at the assembly, and it did seem like there was a bit more wiggle in there than should be. Bought new bulb from a different store, tightened everything up as best as I could last night, and today the bulb is still working. I hope it stays that way!

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion Capn. I looked at the assembly, and it did seem like there was a bit more wiggle in there than should be. Bought new bulb from a different store, tightened everything up as best as I could last night, and today the bulb is still working. I hope it stays that way!
Glad to help! Hope this does the trick! :thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts