Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.

This post one of my functional restoration on my 2008 600 Versys.

Did some stripping today. Doing a service, water pump seal replacement for an oil leak, wheel bearings front and back and brake pads.

Got all disassembled last night and then realized the spares guys never gave me the new spark plugs... so I decided to leave it here for the moment.

A few pics of the work

Line Handwriting Audio equipment Cylinder Gas

Household hardware Wood Gas Automotive tire Art

Automotive tire Wood Grey Plant Tree

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Vehicle Auto part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Rim Gas

Motor vehicle Vehicle Auto part Automotive exterior Automotive air manifold

Finger Gas Engineering Audio equipment Cable

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle

·
Registered
980 Posts
There is only one time when the intakes should be uncovered: that's just before you are putting back the airbox cover...

Cut an old pills bottle in half and cover those.
Or a piece of plastic bag and elastic band.
You dont want to drop anything in there....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks this was as I removed the airbox and more to record how filthy it is. There were damaged threads I had to deal with and removed the rubber flanges on top of the throttle bodies with the airbox

These are covered now, while I clean it up carefully..

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
There is only one time when the intakes should be uncovered: that's just before you are putting back the airbox cover...

Cut an old pills bottle in half and cover those.
Or a piece of plastic bag and elastic band.
You dont want to drop anything in there...
Back in the 70's while adjusting valves on my car it required the spark plugs be removed to rotate the engine to tdc for each cylinder. I made the mistake of pulling plugs before removing the valve cover, thinking it was necessary. I fumbled a nut and it naturally disappeared down a plug hole!

The head had to come off, and despite draining the coolant there was some trapped in the head which promptly flushed down through the engine when the seal was broken.

Murphy preys on home mechanics!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Back in the 70's while adjusting valves on my car it required the spark plugs be removed to rotate the engine to tdc for each cylinder. I made the mistake of pulling plugs before removing the valve cover, thinking it was necessary. I fumbled a nut and it naturally disappeared down a plug hole!

The head had to come off, and despite draining the coolant there was some trapped in the head which promptly flushed down through the engine when the seal was broken.

Murphy preys on home mechanics!
Mmm.. thank neodymium snake magnets...! They weren't around in the 70s I guess.

So, while draining coolant, I should shake the left right front back? lay it far left and right?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the service is done and I managed to fix some threads on the airbox and do the seals for the waterpump too as it was weeping oil from the bottom. I cleaned quite a bit and have quite some work ahead

Next up are the wheel bearings, head stock bearings and swing arm bearings. I am struggling to find the swing arm and head stock bearings as a kit.

Does anyone know the sizes of the seals on the the
headstock and swingarm please?

I am also struggling to get my hands on the needle bearings for the swingarm, but I am sure with a bit of patience I will find them.

Attached a few photo's as I got a few cosmetic things done too.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Top is before bottom is after on the pic above

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive engine gasket Auto part Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry also wanted to mention the oil coming out of the engine was black and the oil filter was siezed on. Had to knock a screw driver through it to wrench it off. I will be replacing the oil again in a few weeks because it's already quite dirty through the viewing port after a few short runs

The coolant was also very dark, have seen you get different colors now and think PO was using a blue one. I have gone to bright yellow and will also flush again in a few weeks.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts