Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yes in deed, "Lest We Forget". I just covered the reopening celebration of the WW1 memorial in Washington, D.C. and I'm amazed at what a light turnout there was. Way less then 100 people attended and that includes the media and Park Service employees. I also covered the 911 events this past year where hundreds of thousands of people turned out. So yes, "Lest We Forget" indeed. I’m not saying that the events of 911 are not important because there are but almost 20 million people died in WW1. Just think about that for a moment. Then remember that less then 3000 died on 911. I guess it’s just a 3-day weekend for most without time to think about what’s going on beyond their flat screen and their Smartphone.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
To all members of the armed forces (active duty, reserve, guard, retired) and their families, thank you for your service to your country.

·
Super Moderator
19,940 Posts
The GreatWar 1914-1918

In Flanders Fields
by John McCrae, May 1915

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

:usa: God Bless....

·
Registered
369 Posts
Killing is in our DNA, from the very beginning human life has sustained itself by killing for food, dominance, power, greed, envy and survival of the species. We may abhor it but down in our deepest ancient being it was and is a necessary part of our ability to survive. I know the platitudes but we continue to fool ourselves with noble causes while we continue to kill. I mourn for all the maimed and dead who paid the price and I am saddened for the families but I know I will never see true peace in this world.

Nick, US Army 1960-1964

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thanks for remembering.

Here is how we remembered in the Sinai, Egypt. 12 countries took part. Australia, Canada, Columbia, Czech Republic, Fiji, France, Hungary, Italy, New Zealand, Norway, United States and Uruguay.

Captain Vlast Pojman
Royal Canadian Air Force

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts