Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 that I removed the lowering linkage and have raised the front forks back up. Any suggestions on how to make the kickstand longer? I know that when the bike was lowered that the owner cut a bit out. Would also be nice if I could have a larger foot on the end.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I have a 2009 that I removed the lowering linkage and have raised the front forks back up. Any suggestions on how to make the kickstand longer? I know that when the bike was lowered that the owner cut a bit out. Would also be nice if I could have a larger foot on the end.
Find a piece of pipe that just slips over the kick stand and figure out how much longer it needs to be. Weld it together and there you go. I just put a larger foot on my bike a couple of days ago. Found a 1/8" thick piece of steel and shaped it the same as the original but 1" larger all the way around. Welded it on and if that sucker sinks into the ground I'm in a swamp.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will try that. Problem will be finding someone to weld it up.

Wish i had the money to do that adjustable one but man is that pricey

·
Registered
256 Posts
I would just get a new one if a used one could not be found. They can be had from Partzilla for only $53. Lot less hassle and you don't have to worry about finding something to extend it with, plus pay a welder to put it all together.

·
Registered
961 Posts
A welding shop will charge about an hour for the work I mentioned. That's going to be about $40-$100. I'm not sure if it would be cheaper to just buy a new stand and then buy one of those aftermarkets feet pads. I have a welder so my cost was minimal. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
I will try that. Problem will be finding someone to weld it up.

Wish i had the money to do that adjustable one but man is that pricey
...OR just weld a VERY large washer to the bottom.

·
Registered
336 Posts
A large block of wood works for me.

A large block of wood with a bit of creative router work in the center works cheaply. and well. Distributes the weight evenly on soft ground or asphalt. When it gets too mucked up to continue use, clone it.

YMMV.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A large block of wood with a bit of creative router work in the center works cheaply. and well. Distributes the weight evenly on soft ground or asphalt. When it gets too mucked up to continue use, clone it.

YMMV.
Did you attach the wood block to the kickstand? of have to put it down every time before your kickstand?

·
Registered
336 Posts
string. plain ol' pink string....

Did you attach the wood block to the kickstand? of have to put it down every time before your kickstand?
Hi: I drilled a hole and tied a long piece of fluorescent string to the block of wood, then use it to lower the block to the ground (50% chance of the right side being up of course) and set the kickstand on it.

I then use the same string to a) remind me to pick it up) and b) pick it up and put it in my tank bag.

If I was REALLY lazy I'd route the outline of the kickstand pad on both sides so I didn't have to fight with turning the block over. I'm too lazy.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If shopping for used, I purchased a KLR stand on ebay for, I think, $50 which is a bit longer than stock and has a larger foot. SOME of the enlarger feet (in my case, Gen 2 versys and Motowerk foot) can create contact with the swingarm. Honestly - I felt the whole thing was a PITA, and the KLR stand (2008+, the one with the bend in it) is a direct bolt in for the Gen 2, possibly Gen 1 as well. No welding, no ordering feet, no brain damage.

The Gen 2 OEM stand is almost exactly 12" long, the KLR stand is approximately 12.5" long.

If you really want the OEM side stand and the motowerk foot AND the L bracket to prevent the enlarged foot from hitting the swingarm, make me an offer and I'll sell you mine. The motowerk flatfoot retails for $48, but there are many other lower cost solutions from other members on the forum, including a really inexpensive foot from ebay.

Of course, by the time you pay to ship anything to Ontario..... good luck!

Pic attached is KLR stand installed and original leaning against peg.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts