Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the DRLs on each side of the headlamp with SuperWhite LEDs from Superbrightleds.com. I like the crisp look. :D

LED on right

·
Registered
185 Posts
Those look great Mike. I think I might install those. Were there any modifications required, or was it plug-and-play?

I'm also thinking about switching the turnsignals to LEDs as well.

-Alan

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Those look great Mike. I think I might install those. Were there any modifications required, or was it plug-and-play?

I'm also thinking about switching the turnsignals to LEDs as well.

-Alan
FWIW, I put LEDs from the same company in the rear turn signals of my ST1300 and they offered substantially lower visibility than the OEM incandescent bulbs. The lens in the ST's turn signal is designed to disburse light from a 360 degree source. The LED turnsignal bulbs that fit the ST sent light in one direction. Instead of a nice bright amber lens the LEDs offered 18 little amber dots.

The bulbs Speedy used for the DRLs seem to send light 360 degrees. If you go for LED turn signal bulbs, make sure they send light all around, not just back.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Another thought on those LED DRLs. Those lights would come in handy for setting up camp after dark. LEDs draw such little current you could leave them on a while without draining your battery.

Speedy, did you go for cool or warm light? Why?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
-Alan
Should be plug and play but the wire at the bottom was very thin so I added so solder to it for a better connection with the socket. Typically LEDs added to OEM lens produce less light in the daylight so I would stick with standard bulbs.

Now having said that I put some LED signals on my wifes SV that are pretty high quality ($90 a pair) and they are FREAKING bright day or night. These are entire assembly's though not just bulbs.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yeah, there seems to be a lot of variations of the LED replacements. Every time I start to look into it I get overwhelmed by the choices.

-Alan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Some LED sources say do not use them next to the headlight, such as this from superbrightleds.com: "Do not use LED bulbs in the same housing with head lamps, the heat will cause them to fail quickly and void the warranty." I would think this would apply to the DRLs on the Versys. Has anybody been running them for an extended time successfully?

Jon H

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
LED's in the turn signal may not work properly without a load equalizer, or an LED compatible flasher relay:
http://www.customled.com/products/load_equalizer/load_equalizer.htm
http://www.ledlight.com/led-flashers-load-equalizers.aspx
http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm
http://www.v-leds.com/BlinkerWarning-Fix/Turn-Signal-Fix/6-OHM-50W-2-BULB-LED-p4783296.html

Some LED sources say do not use them next to the headlight, such as this from superbrightleds.com: "Do not use LED bulbs in the same housing with head lamps, the heat will cause them to fail quickly and void the warranty." I would think this would apply to the DRLs on the Versys. Has anybody been running them for an extended time successfully?
The driving lights are still isolated from the head lights, and are not subjected to enough heat to be concerned about. Mine are still fine after about 4000 miles, and I have a spare pair... LED's do last many times longer than incadescent, produce virtually no heat, and are vibration resistant. They also have much lower current draw, which helps compensate for my 65W Osram Hyper Clear bulbs. Its larger and hotter H9 burner on H7 base is closer to the chromed platic bulb cover, and made it turn brownish.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts