Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Solution is to add a resistor so they act the same as incandescent bulb. You lose the benefit of the lower power draw of LED's
This is an important point with our overworked 650 stator. Yea, I have been using resistors to dim LEDs(1/2 power switch for running lights,etc.) which works well but now I realize I have not been saving power when doing this. This is something Im gonna try to rectify with PWM controllers. They are physically big though. II have to see how much room I have under the gen3 lid.
Our bike is not Canbus
So, does our OEM turn signal relay not hyperflash when it detects a voltage drop like a burned out OEM bulb? This was my concern, not being aware that my turn signal was not flashing when I think it is. Otherwise the Superbrights and the 3 wire relay is the way to go...

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I order this:

I will make video when I add them on motorbike.
I still I'm waiting for some more parts and then I'll do everything at once, so I don't have to disassemble the front part of the motorcycle more than once.

·
Premium Member
9,402 Posts
This is an important point with our overworked 650 stator. Yea, I have been using resistors to dim LEDs(1/2 power switch for running lights,etc.) which works well but now I realize I have not been saving power when doing this. This is something Im gonna try to rectify with PWM controllers. They are physically big though. II have to see how much room I have under the gen3 lid.

So, does our OEM turn signal relay not hyperflash when it detects a voltage drop like a burned out OEM bulb? This was my concern, not being aware that my turn signal was not flashing when I think it is. Otherwise the Superbrights and the 3 wire relay is the way to go...
As I said previously, two designs of 2 wire signal light relays / flashers. Both are series devices that use voltage drop with a given fixed wattage, the two wire led replacement relay / flasher is just more efficient. Voltage out is less than voltage in.
So our OEM flasher has a rating of 4 X 10W bulbs @12.8 VDC or 3.125 amp max to 1.56 amp minimum. If a bulb burns out or current drops below 0.718 amp, the flash rate will increase drastically. With my led signal lights, all on is less than 0.4 ADC. I actually checked my OEM flasher , using ohms it is around 11,000 ohms, on diode test it is 0.48 , which is almost identical to a diode, reversing polarity on diode test is 2.43. This was done using a Fluke 189 .This info is more for those wishing to test their OEM flasher.

In my post about 3 wire flasher, with a 150 watt rating, why screw around with the OEM flasher, yes if a LED fails you won't know. Have a close look at my bike, both front and rear have duplicate signal lights , the front on the Barkbusters and rear on the Admore light bar and Givi top case, if you don't know if I am turning or stopping you must be blind!!

FYI I do a walk around using my emergency flasher, before leaving on a long ride, to confirm everything is OK.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Well nothing from my LED headlights also.
At the last minute before ordering led lights today I found out that LED lights are not legal (unless they are factory-built in) , I have to do the same atest as on the turn signals.

As far as I know from the information I found out today, it is not legal to insert an LED bulb instead of a halogen in OEM turn signals.
And I ordered LED turn signal bulbs on Friday. Eventually I will have to do a technical inspection and then when I get home put on the LED bulbs.

Or I’ll pretend to be crazy and put it in before the technical inspection and if they say the vehicle isn’t technically correct, I’ll go home and put in the original bulbs.

Any recommendation for an ordinary halogen bulb for headlight, which glows brighter than an OEM bulb.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Some halogen bulbs are brighter than others, but they are generally very expensive and still not as bright as the average LED. Also, halogen bulbs tend to go slightly grey/brown as they age. A new halogen is always brighter that the same bulb it replaces.
I understand your desire to be better see and be seen. I wonder about accessory fog or driving lights that many guys here have fitted to their bikes - or are such accessory lights also banned in Croatia?
Can cars have accessory fog lights, or accessory driving/spot lights fitted? If so, surely you might be able to fit a bar with two lights like this:

Mind you, these days most such lights are LED's.

Reactions: kardan

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Some halogen bulbs are brighter than others, but they are generally very expensive and still not as bright as the average LED. Also, halogen bulbs tend to go slightly grey/brown as they age. A new halogen is always brighter that the same bulb it replaces.
I understand your desire to be better see and be seen. I wonder about accessory fog or driving lights that many guys here have fitted to their bikes - or are such accessory lights also banned in Croatia?
Can cars have accessory fog lights, or accessory driving/spot lights fitted? If so, surely you might be able to fit a bar with two lights like this:

Mind you, these days most such lights are LED's.
I can mount everything on my motorbike, but question is will I have problem with police, vehicle inspection (that is 100% problem lol). For now i didn't hear that anybody have problems with police. But I always love to be street legal, that si reason why I try everything.
Beacuse law say every light source different than OEM, like headlights, fog lights, turn signals, licence plate light should pass atest (except sw motech fog lights, givi and other brands like that which are homologated, e-marked and approved- but they cost to much in my opinion 130€ - 300€, they still need to be added in vehicel book), and then add that in vehicle book and than you are 100% legal.

But obviously I will have be like others, have all lights on motorbike which I wish until time for vehicle inspection come, that return all OEM and after inspection return all aftermarket :LOL:.

People here literally ride motorcycles with hidden license plates, homemade exhausts (there are people who make them for off-road vehicle, and before when laws was really low you can ride with that exhaust that on street, and pass vehicle inspection without problem, if was problem people will bribe tehnician with 15-30$ and problem solved LOL ), chinese exhaust (louder better), and when the time comes for a technical inspection of the vehicle, then all the original parts are returned to the motorcycle so they can pass. People are slowly giving up on such things, as the laws are getting stricter

Obviously I'm too worried about getting in trouble, if other people don't have problems then I shouldn't either.

I was looking for this fog lights from aliexpress, my frined have this type on BMW GS1200, and he is happy with them, but i didn't ask them how they look in night. (I need to ask them how they are now after 6+ month with that lights, if no problem with water i will probably buy them.)

And i was looking this, very similar but different mounting part:

They are 40W, now is it each light 40W or they are total 40W so each light are 20W. I assume they are 2x20W - it makes more sense to me than 2x40W

For headlight I can always buy only 1 bulb for main light (low beam), the high beam illuminates everything well for me, but I am not satisfied with the low beam.

·
Registered
800 Posts
the low beam is very weak on V even with LED bulb. this is why I use high beam lowered so it functions as the low beam to compensate. it is pretty cool, as I have two bulbs running as low beam. in single H4 headlights, if you turn the high beam, the lower beam turns off. now I have both on low beam and for the high beam, I use Denali D4

·
Registered
521 Posts
I understand your concerns about remaining legal. Does your BMW friend have any inspection issues with his fog lights?
I would have thought that if LED bulbs are illegal then his LED fog lights would be also.
Do not worry about the low wattage number as LED numbers are much lower than other bulbs. In my open plan living room/kitchen at home I replaced 12 normal 80 watt light bulbs with 4x 10 watt LED down lights. Much better light.
Fog lights are far more often used as riding lights to attract other drivers attention but cannot be used in traffic at night as they have no dip. Ask your friend if his extra lights are legal or if inspectors have ever challenged him about them.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I understand your concerns about remaining legal. Does your BMW friend have any inspection issues with his fog lights?
I would have thought that if LED bulbs are illegal then his LED fog lights would be also.
Do not worry about the low wattage number as LED numbers are much lower than other bulbs. In my open plan living room/kitchen at home I replaced 12 normal 80 watt light bulbs with 4x 10 watt LED down lights. Much better light.
Fog lights are far more often used as riding lights to attract other drivers attention but cannot be used in traffic at night as they have no dip. Ask your friend if his extra lights are legal or if inspectors have ever challenged him about them.
He buy that lights in summer 2020, I need to ask them when I see him did he have problems in technical inspection
I have that inspection in March, I will go there with full stock lights, after that I will replace halogen bulb with LED in turn signals.
I ask friend who work in police did he every stop car/motorbike to check lights, he say never, he don't care about that ( his words: I am not trained for it )
The worst case may be that the police send me for an extraordinary technical inspection.
It will be OK everything I am sure :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
FYI
I bought these and they fit right into stock turn signal housing and are SUPER bright,
No mods needed !
They do "flash" faster than stock bulbs, but I dont care..

·
Registered
521 Posts
FYI
I bought these and they fit right into stock turn signal housing and are SUPER bright,
No mods needed !
They do "flash" faster than stock bulbs, but I dont care..
As the LED's do not draw the same amps as halogen bulbs the indicator unit, which is programmed to sense the load and warn you if one of your halogen bulbs fails by hyperflashing, can be replaced with an LED suitable indicator unit.
This one is said to fit the Ninja series so I guess will fit the Versys as well. https://www.amazon.com/2-Pin-Electr...rsys+led+indicator+unit&qid=1615431704&sr=8-7

41 - 51 of 51 Posts