Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2013 v650
252 Posts
Have you tried searching for your inspection regulations? It would give you the items that the inspector has to look for. In my state the signals need to have DOT on the lenses and be a certain distance from the head/tail light. Many aftermarket signal lights are labeled as offroad only and don't have the DOT markings. The same for led headlights. Another thing is that fog lights have to be switched to turn off when you turn on the high beam.

Most regulations are way behind current technology so some inspectors will ignore common modifications others will go by the letter of the law. Just because everyone does a certain modification doesn't mean it is legal.

It sounds like you are doing everything you can to have a safe and legal bike. Good luck

·
Super Moderator
19,931 Posts

·
Registered
KLE650C
1 Posts
Hi, everybody. Sorry for my English. I installed LED turn signals with ALIEXPRESS. We have in Russia with a technical inspection is simple (you can buy it), so you can put anything you want))). But those turn signals that I installed are bright enough to shine, not worse than def. For mounting in a regular place, I printed an adapter on a 3d printer.

video
foto
3D Model

PS I use soda to work with cyanacrylate

·
Registered
514 Posts
A simple trick to make your rear lights brighter for better visibility is to put tin foil or cut up a foil pie dish and fit behind the bulb. Does not work for LED turn signals though.
Instead of a complete LED turn signal you could use the existing turn signal and install a suitable LED bulb in it. Tin foil in the back of the housing makes the lights much brighter.

·
Premium Member
9,250 Posts
A simple trick to make your rear lights brighter for better visibility is to put tin foil or cut up a foil pie dish and fit behind the bulb. Does not work for LED turn signals though.
Instead of a complete LED turn signal you could use the existing turn signal and install a suitable LED bulb in it. Tin foil in the back of the housing makes the lights much brighter.
another trick is using the foil duct tape used by sheet metal workers

·
Registered
698 Posts
Our OEM turn signal housing has a chrome finish as a reflector. Although not a very thick layer of chrome as I found out when I rubbed too hard with a paper towel. Youre saying its better than whats already there?

·
Registered
514 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
I used Rizoma adaptor plates and TST turn signals (very bright and non-expensive). I really dislike the OEM turn signals. The design is plain stupid; that flimsy rubber that holds them can break any time, as it did on several on my bikes. TST also sells adaptor plates, but I find Rizoma stronger and having more correct shape... i think they are more secure that gluing a single plate.
rizoma plates.jpg

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well I definitely live in country with some stupid laws.
I come back now from inspection station, I check what I need to legaly have LED aftermarket turn signals.

Although the turn signal is approved by the European Union, homologated and e-marked. When I put them on the motorbike I have to go to the inspection station to do a certificate (atest on my language).
A certificate (atest) as a document is a statement that a certain product has those technological and other properties that are provided by the standards, or that customers expect from those goods or are provided by the relevant standards.

So basically tehnician guy told me, If I add aftermarket turn signal which are not same shape like OEM turn signal I need to make that atest.
I ask him what about original Kawasaki LED turn signal?
He say it is same, because that LED are not available for that motorbike (because they look on pictures of that model V650 on computer and they will see that originaly V650 don't have LED turn signal), and OEM kawasaki LED turn signal (from V1000) look different from OEM V650 turn signal and I also need to make atest (really really stupid law).

So tehnician told me, put LED turn signals on motorbike, bring motorbike to inspection, and they will check all papers from the turn signals, take pictures of that papers, and pictures of my motorbike, and than they will send all documentation to CVH (Croatian Vehicle Center), and they will then decide if these turn signals are good and according to our regulations and requirements.
But I am 99% sure that will be approved because that turn signals it is approved in EU.

All in all it costs about $ 50 and I need to come 2 weeks before renewing the registration. So if they approve turn signals, then on renewal of registration they will add in the vehicle booklet that I have LED turn signals and then I am legal under all possible laws.

Oo I will see if I will take the LED turn signals at all, because in the end it will cost a lot more than I thought, and especially if they don't approve the turn signals then it's like I threw money in the wind.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
You mean that if you put a LED light in the stock OEM turn signal housing they will fail you?
I mean if I use whole LED turn signal from V1000 (I just ask them, OEM led turn signals are really expensive)
I really think that will not be problem with LED bulb in turn signal, because that is same like LED headlight if i choose that instead normaln halogen bulb for headlight.

Do you have some recommendation for LED bulb which I can put inside OEM turn signal, I don't know what kind of tipe of led "bulb" I need to look?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Do you have some recommendation for LED bulb which I can put inside OEM turn signal, I don't know what kind of tipe of led "bulb" I need to look?
If you want plug and play I put these in when I bought the bike years ago,check the numbers. 60,000 K on them so far.
Inertia LED - RY10W, BAU15S, 7507, 12093NA Motorcycle Can-Bus Amber 10W LED Turn Signal Replacement Bulb
Other riders change the flasher unit and buy any 10 watt LED that fits in the housing. This is cheaper but you have to change the bikes flasher unit to match the impedance of the LED 'bulbs'.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
If you want plug and play I put these in when I bought the bike years ago,check the numbers. 60,000 K on them so far.
So you are satisfied with them. Light are I assume much stronger than OEM bulb.
Price are almost same like full LED turn signals, but with this I don't need to do atest and I will not have any problems with technical inspection,police, laws...

So, I need to buy 4 led bulb + flasher and problem solved.

Thank you :giggle:

Reactions: onewizard

·
Registered
698 Posts
So, I need to buy 4 led bulb + flasher
You dont need to replace the flasher with the Inertia LEDs, they plug right in. The dont hyperflash so they must be resisted up individually I assume. From a power draw point of view I dont know whether its better or worse than using regular LEDs with a replacement flasher unit but its not constant power anyways. Onewizard would know. The good thing about the Inertia is you could replace with a OEM bulb if one LED blew. But thats unlikely as they only get used for turning.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
You dont need to replace the flasher with the Inertia LEDs, they plug right in.
When you say Inertia LED, you mean on RY10W type (model) LED bulb?

I find this RY10W LED bulb in shop which shipping to my country:

I will send them mail just to be sure that I don't need relay flasher, because I don't see anywhere on site extra information about that, and I don't see manufacturer / brand to check there information.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts