Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have in plan to go LED lights on my 2018 V650 (headlights and turn signals).

Now for headlights I know how to solve that problem.

But for LED turn signals I have questions? (maibe first question will be stupid, but I don't have any spare turn signal to dismantle them to see how it look inside)

All aftermarket LED turn signals which I find for my V650 look like this (I mean on this left part screw + nut):

Now this screw with nut, does that also exist in OEM V650 turn signals, but there are plastic which are around that (and you use this screw and nut to tight OEM plastic to aftermarket turn signal), or I need to buy something also aftermarket so I can add this type of turn signals
I hope that you understand what i wish to say.

I can buy on aliexpress turn signals for V650 whish are almost 100% same (by picture and by some video which I found on youtube), but I will have problem on the technical inspection of the motorcycle, because the turn lights are not homologated, and I won't be able to register a motorcycle . So I am forced to buy homologated turn signals (picture which I add are holomogated LED turn signal)

I see that if I wish to add LED blinkers that i need to add relay or resistor. What is better? 1 relay or 1 resistor for each turn signal?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I made adapter plates and glued them onto the plastic fairing. There are adapters specifically for the V650 if you can find them, but if not just get something similar and trim it to the correct shape and glue them on. I can't remember exactly, but I believe the plastic I got was from ebay and said they were compatible with several models of Kawasaki, but in fact they were a bit too large. But they were very easy to trim smaller.

How will the inspectors know if the turn signals are homologated? Will they really look that closely?

I used resistors. They were very inexpensive, and they simply plugged into the wiring harness, then the signal plugged into the resistor. I have not researched the flasher, but the flasher does just plug into a socket. The trick would be to find the right kind. If you are mixing LED signals in some locations with the factory signals in others, you need an electronic flasher that doesn't care which type of bulb. For me it was easier just to order the resistor adapters at the same time I ordered the LED signals.

I have RG Racing micro LED signals on the front of my 2015 V650, and I used their resistor adapters. They now also sell the adapter plates, and also a flasher if you prefer that to resistors.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Super glue (cyanoacrylate) works very well on the plastic fairings. Mounting adapter plates should be very easy.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just get something similar and trim it to the correct shape and glue them on

How will the inspectors know if the turn signals are homologated? Will they really look that closely?
So basicaly I can buy thick rubber, and cut correct shape and that will fit OK.

They looking for E marks on lights, if that don't existe on turnsignals that mean they are not approved fro European Union, and they are not legal.
And they started to abide by the law more and more now in my country, as Croatia is in the EU, so we have to abide by those laws, so at the moment it is very important for a motorcycle to have an exhaust, license plate holder and turn signals according to all possible laws. 100% original or aftermarket parts that are 100% in accordance with current laws.

You never know who will do the technical inspection. A man who will just point out to you that it is not right and give a positive rating or will be inspected by someone who will check absolutely everything possible on your motorcycle, and will not let you pass the technical inspection until you fix it.

Also this is my first technical inspection of a motorcycle, since when you buy a new vehicle you are not required to go for a technical inspection for 2 years. So I thought I'd change all that right now so I don't have a problem with it. I can ride in my country with non-homologated parts on a motorcycle, there will only be problems with passing technical inspections. But if, for example, the police stop me in Germany, Austria or in another EU country that keeps the law a little stronger than my country, and starts inspecting the motorcycle, they would probably give me such a ticket that I would regret not buying the homologated parts.

I would say that E marks are something like DOT, Snell, ECE for helmets.

Also about new Relay I need to change this one:

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
So basicaly I can buy thick rubber, and cut correct shape and that will fit OK.

They looking for E marks on lights, if that don't existe on turnsignals that mean they are not approved fro European Union, and they are not legal.
The adapter plates I used are plastic. I don't think super glue will work on rubber.

Thank you for the explanation about homologation and how it works in the EU. It all sounds needlessly controlled, but it is what it is.

R&G Racing is based in the UK, so their parts may carry the "E". The aero micro LED signals I have from them are very sturdy and quite bright. I am very satisfied with them. The resistor adapters have worked perfectly for me.

I don't know enough about the flasher to recommend a specific replacement, but it would certainly be cleaner to just replace that rather than have the extra wiring of the resistor adapters.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

R&G Racing is based in the UK, so their parts may carry the "E".

I don't know enough about the flasher to recommend a specific replacement, but it would certainly be cleaner to just replace that rather than have the extra wiring of the resistor adapters.
I will check that R&G also, I see that they are not expensive.

About that relay which I put in link it is for Kawasaki, Honda and Yamaha, and I found video now where guy on V1000 use that same relay when they add all LED turnsignals.

Need to check is there some kind of stupid law where it say how long need to be turnsignal before I buy any.

Now I know what I need to do :)
Thanks for help.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Super glue (cyanoacrylate) works very well on the plastic fairings. Mounting adapter plates should be very easy.
A plastic pin on my side panel got broken (the one that enters the round rubber) and the mechanic in Kawa shop showed me an interesting way to fix it. He used first super-glue and then covered the area with washing powder and then added some super glue. It is super strong. I have no idea how the washing powder helps with the bonding?

·
Registered
694 Posts
A plastic pin on my side panel got broken (the one that enters the round rubber) and the mechanic in Kawa shop showed me an interesting way to fix it. He used first super-glue and then covered the area with washing powder and then added some super glue. It is super strong. I have no idea how the washing powder helps with the bonding?
Super glue works on a clean plastic break but isnt strong from a structural point of view because the point of contact is so small if you think about it. Adding the soap powder(or anything like corn starch) would make it more like a paste I guess.Then gloop it all around the point of contact. I repaired a fairing pin this summer with JB liquid plastic epoxy weld the same way. I have used super glue to attach rubber to plastic with good results after 3 years . But this is because it was a large area of contact it seems.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Super glue works on a clean plastic break but isnt strong from a structural point of view because the point of contact is so small if you think about it. Adding the soap powder(or anything like corn starch) would make it more like a paste I guess.Then gloop it all around the point of contact. I repaired a fairing pin this summer with JB liquid plastic epoxy weld the same way. I have used super glue to attach rubber to plastic with good results after 3 years . But this is because it was a large area of contact it seems. View attachment 181534
yes, thanks, this makes sense...

·
Registered
694 Posts
yes, thanks, this makes sense...
They make a super glue gel that Ive tried also. Its not as messy as the thin liquid stuff. the positive...you can do stuff like youre talking about with the fixing the broken fairing pin. Like glooping it all around the base of the pin for support after you glued it back together. The negative..its too thick to glue the clean first clean break. So you need both! Honestly, the JB liquid plastic weld epoxy is the best stuff Ive found for stick and strength. You can even use it with a mesh cloth like fiberglass. And before you glue plastic with either stuff, wipe the areas with Acetone, like cheap nail polish remover. It softens the plastic for a minute and the glue really sticks.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He used first super-glue and then covered the area with washing powder and then added some super glue
Something like this :

Reactions: jaaklucas

·
Registered
26 Posts
Any turn signals you buy on aliexpress are going to be low quality and most likely have very poor visibility. I have tried a bunch and have owned bikes that came with cheap made-in-china aftermarket signals. Only 2 sets have come close to stock visibility, one was also incandescent, and the other was LED but about the same size as stock.

What’s your reason for wanting to switch to LED signals? If it’s for power consumption, then you’re better off putting good quality drop-in LED bulbs in the stock housings. If it’s for “looks” then I highly encourage you to consider the bike “looking cool” versus oncoming traffic’s ability to see your intentions to turn. For me, the potential of bulky signals helping to keep me out of the hospital wins out 7 days of the week.

Regarding the resistors vs relay, all you need to do is change the flasher relay to an electronic module, probably about $10. I’m sure there’s been ones liked somewhere on here that work. Resistors work to normalize the load by increasing the current draw of the circuit. LED signals draw less current (use less power), the resistors bring that current draw back to normal, so any power savings are negated when you use resistors instead of swapping the flasher relay.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What’s your reason for wanting to switch to LED signals?
I wish LED for better visibility in traffic, many times people don't see me (I was rear ended 1 time, multiple times I have turn signal ON and I am waiting my turn to turn into the street, and I just hear the squeak of tires and cars flying past me. When I ask him what you’re doing he says he didn’t see me my turn signal was ON ), so I wish to add more visibility on my motorbike, specialy for night, multiple times I almost die (They don't see my headlight - so I will add LED headlight)
Also I have black reflective tape + I waiting yellow reflective tape, so my motorbike will be like christmas tree in night LOL.

Looks good. Does it say what the powder is made of or is that their secret sauce?
Nope, I try to find what kind of powder is that, but nothing on internet.

Black powder is most often used to repair cracks on elements that are the same black color: bumper grilles, bumper, mirrors, headlight racks, as well as accessories and clothing for motorcycles, car keys, electrical switches, door handles, etc.
Gray powder, however, can be used on those elements on the car and elsewhere that match the gray color and temperature-laden parts because the gray powder is heat resistant. It is most commonly used to repair cracks in the engine housing and some other car components.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Luthiers use baking powder mixed with superglue to make a hard filler, typically on bone nuts to raise string height. I've done that but used bone dust, and it works really well. The filler must provide hardness.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I wish LED for better visibility in traffic, many times people don't see me (I was rear ended 1 time, multiple times I have turn signal ON and I am waiting my turn to turn into the street, and I just hear the squeak of tires and cars flying past me.
For better rear visibility get a number plate surround like this with tail and brake lights https://www.amazon.com/Areyourshop-...e+LED+tail/brake+light&qid=1610245733&sr=8-76 and some marker lights on the front. https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-H...ycle+LED+running+lights&qid=1610246049&sr=8-2
Add some red reflective tape squares to the rear fender and white reflective tape to the fork stanchions.

These flickering LED indicators are more visible as moving/flashing/flickering lights are far more likely to be noticed.

Turning off while you are being followed is always dangerous. In those situations I always start braking early and pump the brakes. Some buy brake modulators that cause the brake lights to always flash.
https://www.amazon.com/Stop-Alert-D...e+brake+light+modulator&qid=1610246803&sr=8-2

I just saw that you are in Croatia. All the same items will be on Ali Express.

And buy a replacement indicator relay for LED's. So much simpler and less wiring needed, but remember that they override the hype flashing that indicates a faulty light, so regularly check that your indicators are working.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For better rear visibility get a number plate surround like this with tail and brake lights https://www.amazon.com/Areyourshop-Universal-Motorcycle-License-Plate/dp/B0854D65DB/ref=sr_1_76?dchild=1&keywords=motorcycle+LED+tail/brake+light&qid=1610245733&sr=8-76 and some marker lights on the front. https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-H...ycle+LED+running+lights&qid=1610246049&sr=8-2
Add some red reflective tape squares to the rear fender and white reflective tape to the fork stanchions.

These flickering LED indicators are more visible as moving/flashing/flickering lights are far more likely to be noticed.

Turning off while you are being followed is always dangerous. In those situations I always start braking early and pump the brakes. Some buy brake modulators that cause the brake lights to always flash.
https://www.amazon.com/Stop-Alert-D...e+brake+light+modulator&qid=1610246803&sr=8-2

I just saw that you are in Croatia. All the same items will be on Ali Express.

And buy a replacement indicator relay for LED's. So much simpler and less wiring needed, but remember that they override the hype flashing that indicates a faulty light, so regularly check that your indicators are working.
I'm not sure about the legality of these parts you mentioned (blinking stop light, flickering LED indicators, extra stop light on top of licence - I never see anything of this in my country on cars or on motorbikes)
I ask same question about some extra parts for my motorbike at two vehicle technical inspection stations , and I get opposite answers, but I get same answer about turn signals.

So I am 1000% sure that I can replace OEM turn signals with LED and I will not have problems. (this what you mention I need to chech in multiple inspection stations but I think that every station will give me different answer).

Here is 1 example of people who work at inspection stations (from forum):

Watch the conversation ...
He: This is not the original stop lamp
Me: I don't know, I bought a motorcycle like this, what does the original look like to buy?
He: I don't know, but the turn signals don't work either, they have to be longer.
Me: well, how long do they have to be to know how to buy?
He: I don't know, they have to be longer.
Me: so I have functional turn signals in the stoplight
He: yes but they must not be so
Me: well, so the back must be three physically separate pieces, a stop lamp and two turn signals?
He: I don't know, I won't register this ... Change and come again.
Me: why will I change when the turn signals work back and forth ...
And so in a circle, I ask, he doesn't know the answer

·
Registered
514 Posts
All countries have different road regulations and standards, and perhaps some have inspectors that do not keep up to date.
I can only say that here in Australia we already have cars on the road that have LED indicators that "point" in the direction of the turn. No doubt some of those models will soon be on your roads as well.
What do you say about an inspector who sees something that he has never seen before, and so rejects it? If there are other garages in your area that do roadworthy inspections, speak with them. Perhaps even go to whatever government department oversees roadworthy licencing and ask them. You are just the first to use these. There will be others soon asking the same questions.
I cannot imagine that there is a road rule banning your LED's. Your inspector has simply never seen them before and is being cautious.

Reactions: kardan

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Need to check to be 100% sure that I can have that led turn signals on my motorbike (Sequences / floating LED)

I found shop in my country which have 3 models of that type turn signals , and also it say homologated.
So basicaly they should be legal here

EDIT: I call shop which sell that turn signals, they say near shop there are 2 inspection station, and one almost never will approve this LED turn signals, but second station no problem almost, but sometimes there are also problems.
So I need check with stations near my home and see what they will say.

Reactions: Brockie

·
Super Moderator
19,913 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts