Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a LED license plate holder back in November 2017. It came with no instructions. It has a red,white, and black wire. After reading on the web, I was told that I only needed to use the red and black wires and to use the blue and black wires under the seat within the wiring bundle. I connected the blue to red and black to black and it worked. I didn't connect the white to anything. It worked until last week but because of weather I had only ridden my bike three times since November. Last week when I started the bike only half of the LED strip illuminated. It is a sealed unit. Am I just having some bad luck or did I do something wrong? Should I do something different? All of my connections were good and tight. I tested it to the battery direct and only half still works. Should I just buy another one and hope for better luck out of another one?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
my guess would be that half the strip burnt up (ive had a few cheap LED strips do that) you can try unhooking the wires and hooking them directly to the battery to test it, im guessing the black is ground red is running light and white is brake light

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I bought a LED license plate holder back in November 2017. It came with no instructions. It has a red,white, and black wire. After reading on the web, I was told that I only needed to use the red and black wires and to use the blue and black wires under the seat within the wiring bundle. I connected the blue to red and black to black and it worked. I didn't connect the white to anything. It worked until last week but because of weather I had only ridden my bike three times since November. Last week when I started the bike only half of the LED strip illuminated. It is a sealed unit. Am I just having some bad luck or did I do something wrong? Should I do something different? All of my connections were good and tight. I tested it to the battery direct and only half still works. Should I just buy another one and hope for better luck out of another one?

Thanks.
I purchased the same holder.

BLACK - Gnd (-)
White - Running Lights, 12v (+)
Red - Brake Lights, 12v (+)

Basically when white is energized it lights up to medium intensity, but when RED is energized it lights up to MAX intensity. You will need to seal the unit where the wires enter it with silicon sealant or something similar to prevent water and dirt entry flung up from rear tire, from contaminating the otherwise exposed circuit board.

I twisted RED and WHITE together and connected these to my brake light so the light only comes on when the brakes are applied.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can someone tell me what the colors represent going to the rear bundle? Red,yellow, and black. I also have a green and brown that aren't hooked up to anything.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Can someone tell me what the colors represent going to the rear bundle? Red,yellow, and black. I also have a green and brown that aren't hooked up to anything.
I just checked mine to get lead configuration but will not be installing until next week. My plan, to determine what to connect to on bike, was just to follow the leads to the rear tail light and determine from that and then cut and double check with a VOM. I will post when I get to that stage.

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes that is the same one I bought for the second time. Now it only works hooking it up directly to the battery.

·
Premium Member
9,109 Posts
Polarity check

Verify the polarity, I have seen this before where the led colour code is reversed, if it works on the battery pay attention to the wire colour on the positive terminal.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I tested it to the battery direct and only half still works. Should I just buy another one and hope for better luck out of another one?
I'd say that it is toast, and that you wired it incorrectly.
I have on one my X300 and as twowheels states the 3 wires are earth, running and brakes.
Get another unit, put the black wire on your battery earth and alternately touch the other two to positive to see which is tail and which is brake. Use silicone and shrink sheath to protect the wiring from wear and water.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts