Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

121 - 140 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Many people are more concerned with how it looks than how well it helps you see. I can (to some extent) understand that on a bike that will never be ridden in the dark, but many of us deal with the reality of having to do that.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Why do people ignore the progress of technology? I can only guess it is their ignorance. There are LED replacement bulbs on the market today that have been properly designed with the latest design emitters to replace H series halogen bulbs. Some have even been DOT certified. Though, if one is honest, the DOT spec isn't worth the paper it was originally scribbled on, so being certified to it is nothing to brag about.

One manufacturer, Evitek, has 3 different series of bulbs that they have designed, engineered, and manufacture which are excellent. An American lighting engineer has been consulting with them over the past couple years and their products have evolved very quickly into the best design on the market at any price. Their bulbs are being rebranded by some of the most respected names in the LED lighting aftermarket, with massive markup of course.

I have Evitek F2 bulbs in my V's headlight. I did a back to back comparison between the light pattern produced by the original halogen bulb and this bulb (sorry, no photos). The patterns were virtually identical, only difference being the LED is much brighter. ~3000 Lumens vs. ~1200 Lumens.

I ride a LOT at night and have only once had someone flash their lights at me. I was carrying a heavy load at the time and the rear had sagged, resulting in the headlight being aimed higher than polite. With these lights, I don't fear the darkness, I see through it.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Im with Dave,not sure why people are afraid of progress in technology.Whats not to like with LED? Compared to a concept from the 1800s(incandescent) it uses a fraction of the power,less heat,lasts way longer and produces a very clean bright white light when specified.Dont think Watts as much as Lumens(light output)I put LED in my house for all those reasons.Some are 10 years old,never replaced one.More expensive up front but thats coming down.And I also have an E bike,have to use LED for their efficiency.And my regular bicycles as well.I run all LED on all lights on my Versys.The LED headlights are a great improvement,get a screwdiver and adjust the aim properly.Cut your power draw way down and run more daytime lights,be seen!

·
Premium Member
9,532 Posts
Forget those headlight bulbs. The best on the market at this time are the F2 bulbs made by Evitech and sold by numerous companies such as Safego, Alla Lighting, JDM ASTAR, LED Eagle, etc. Do a search on Amazon, eBay, etc for the bulb type followed by "LED F2 headlight". The bulb will be all bare aluminium except for the black fan cover. The wiring will have a black and red braided cover with a round connector between the bulb and the power supply. Often the box is yellow.

The specs per bulb are 36W, 6000 lumens, 6500K, with very good focus and beam pattern.
Just got my Safego F2 led lamps, trying low beam first and remove the https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/1283162-post90.html I have two from him, only installed one. First thing I like about the Safego is the driver is 9 to 32 VDC, much lower profile, more like a filament , has the same plugin configuration. exactly 36 watts , so the beam pattern is what I am hopping to improve on, the MK-3 has a totally different headlight from the MK-1 &2 .Will post once installed. Thanks Dave!!

Reactions: jaaklucas

·
Registered
239 Posts
Why do people ignore the progress of technology? I can only guess it is their ignorance. There are LED replacement bulbs on the market today that have been properly designed with the latest design emitters to replace H series halogen bulbs. Some have even been DOT certified. Though, if one is honest, the DOT spec isn't worth the paper it was originally scribbled on, so being certified to it is nothing to brag about.

One manufacturer, Evitek, has 3 different series of bulbs that they have designed, engineered, and manufacture which are excellent. An American lighting engineer has been consulting with them over the past couple years and their products have evolved very quickly into the best design on the market at any price. Their bulbs are being rebranded by some of the most respected names in the LED lighting aftermarket, with massive markup of course.

I have Evitek F2 bulbs in my V's headlight. I did a back to back comparison between the light pattern produced by the original halogen bulb and this bulb (sorry, no photos). The patterns were virtually identical, only difference being the LED is much brighter. ~3000 Lumens vs. ~1200 Lumens.

I ride a LOT at night and have only once had someone flash their lights at me. I was carrying a heavy load at the time and the rear had sagged, resulting in the headlight being aimed higher than polite. With these lights, I don't fear the darkness, I see through it.
I'm not against progress of new technology. I'm just against technology that is falsely advertised. Most (not all in all applications) drop in LED main beam products have too much foreground, not enough width, weak hotspot, and dead spots (no light because LED is a panel, not round).

Also - It's not actually pulling the advertised "reduced wattage" often as you think. I tested an LED projector unit from iJDMtoy for my Versys before I went with an HID projector. It was pulling 29W low beam and 38 W High beam (versus my HID which pulled 35W Low and 35W High!). Not nearly as low as advertised.

Also - Big LED = LOTS OF HEAT !

That's why many of them have those massive heat sinks and fail earlier than they are supposed to.

It's a neat IDEA, but unfortunately its typically just not up to par with a Proper HID retrofit. If you aren't even considering an HID projector retrofit then you are missing out on a TON of light that your LED isn't giving you (and that halogen reflector certainly isn't either).

Also. Ever seen HID in a reflector housing done well? The Toyota Prius or the Infiniti G35 Sedan were great examples of this. The housing was designed for HID and it worked well because of that. The LED drop in bulb in a housing built for halogen has issues.

And its HALOGEN headlight bulbs and INCANDESCENT signal bulbs... seen that mentioned a few times here.

See this link to learn more information. ONLY FACTS HERE: https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

·
Registered
359 Posts
Stern is out of date. While factual, the info provided there is historical reference material.

HID produces too much UV, and runs at lethal voltages. Never mind that a projector retrofit is WAY beyond the skills of most and is expensive to do properly.

The good LED replacements being offered today are not much more complicated than replacing the bulb. They are reliable, safe, and produce a good beam pattern.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Unfortunately that’s where you are wrong. Unless you provide wall shots you are just shooting from the hip with no matter of fact just marketing.

Please provide some evidence I’ve been waiting years for someone to prove the headlight modification community wrong!

When it happens I’d love to make the switch too!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Head on over to advrider.com and search for F2 in the Equipment section. More info than I care to understand has been posted there by persons much more knowledgeable in this field than I am.

Or don’t, I don’t care if you miss the boarding call. I have already shared my limited knowledge. Since I have nothing to prove or gain from this discussion, it doesn’t warrant further effort.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I see you posted there. Here are the pictures I’ve seen. And what do you see? I see glare and hella foreground.

Sorry bud it’s not an upgrade it’s only hurting your distance vision and width, and you are glaring everyone else. Please go back to Halogen and stop believing the marketing. I recommend you diacover more quality products before recommending them. HID retrofit OR STAY HALOGEN!!!

Last pic is Halogen vs. led.

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts
Well, aren't you passionate about your beliefs. Do you sell HID retrofits? Maybe offer installation services? Because I don't have any such interests regarding these bulbs. So why am I advocating these F2 LED bulbs? Because I've wasted a lot of $$$ and time on crap and hope to save others from the same. I believe that these bulbs are the best option on the market, at this time, for a drop in replacement bulb that uses less power and produces more useable light than any other option.

Yes, I've tried HID replacements, and as your friend and mentor Mr. Stern says, they are crap. I've tried other LED bulbs and they were just as bad as the HID's, but without the slow startup, nasty UV or lethal ballasts. Projector conversions were never an option due to the cost, complexity, and still being HID. Never mind the beam pattern produced by projector lamps can be far too precise, which can be dangerous on their own. I'm currently running the F2 LED bulbs and they are the best I've used, so far. In the Gen2 V650 headlight and in Hella 7" round H4 headlights they produce a very nice beam pattern. With, what I believe to be, no glare and minimal foreground spill. Again, I honestly believe that I'm NOT "glaring" everyone else. Are they as ridiculously precise as projector lamps? No, thankfully not. But then again, neither were the halogen bulbs originally fitted. I personally despise the absolute cutoff (here is light, above the line is pure darkness) produced by many projector lamps.
@Urbanengineer, I understand you don't care to believe me, based on the outdated opinions of others and some pictures you've seen. I'm not going to try to convince you. I don't have any pictures. Nor do I have a fancy location or know how to properly take valid pictures. So, my offer to you is as follows:

Come over and see for your self. I'll be home all weekend servicing my bike. Since you will want to see how the bulbs work at night, I'll even offer our guest room so you can stay the night. I have some wonderfully dark country roads 1 minute away from my place. Gravel roads and bush trails are just a couple minutes further away. I'll even feed you a couple meals and beer. My location is public, so you can determine your route and calculate travel time. PM me for my street address and contact info.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon. If I don't respond quickly, it is because I'm in my workshop doing a valve inspection, but my offer is sincere.
Dave

·
Registered
239 Posts
Well, aren't you passionate about your beliefs. Do you sell HID retrofits?

-Nope have 0 dimes in the game.

Maybe offer installation services?

-Nope, just tired of MC’ists and Brodozer trucks blinding everyone. Not actually understanding what light output is supposed to be and just shooting from the hip.

Because I don't have any such interests regarding these bulbs. So why am I advocating these F2 LED bulbs? Because I've wasted a lot of $$$ and time on crap and hope to save others from the same. I believe that these bulbs are the best option on the market, at this time, for a drop in replacement bulb that uses less power and produces more useable light than any other option.

-Makes sense, but you are adding quite a bit of glare and foreground. You don’t realize the effect foreground light has on you until you see two vehicles side by side. It reduces your vision having more light in front of you (e.g. people driving with their fog lights on at night :facepalm:).

Yes, I've tried HID replacements, and as your friend and mentor Mr. Stern says, they are crap. I've tried other LED bulbs and they were just as bad as the HID's, but without the slow startup, nasty UV or lethal ballasts.

-HID drop in kits IMO are worse than Led. They had major QC issues and because of those high voltages and low quality were literally causing fires and whatnot. Plus the UV burn destroyed the reflector bowls and clear covers. Oh yeah, even worse output lol. Remember the JDM ricer crowd and their pink bulbs?

Projector conversions were never an option due to the cost, complexity, and still being HID.

- ever heard if you can’t affoed to do it don’t do it at all? I retrofitted my Versys for $160 after a 15% off sale on Thanksgiving weekend. That’s less than the price of some “nice” LED bulbs. It did require removal of the head lamp and permanent modification of the Headlight. But... at a MAJOR light improvement with no glare and increased width. This also has low beam and high beam all in one package.

Never mind the beam pattern produced by projector lamps can be far too precise, which can be dangerous on their own.

-This is a bike issue, but this can be fixed with a fresnel (or cloudy) lens.

I'm currently running the F2 LED bulbs and they are the best I've used, so far. In the Gen2 V650 headlight and in Hella 7" round H4 headlights they produce a very nice beam pattern. With, what I believe to be, no glare and minimal foreground spill. Again, I honestly believe that I'm NOT "glaring" everyone else. Are they as ridiculously precise as projector lamps? No, thankfully not. But then again, neither were the halogen bulbs originally fitted. I personally despise the absolute cutoff (here is light, above the line is pure darkness) produced by many projector lamps.

- yeah it’s a bike problem, super convenient in the car and ATV world.
@Urbanengineer, I understand you don't care to believe me, based on the outdated opinions of others and some pictures you've seen. I'm not going to try to convince you. I don't have any pictures. Nor do I have a fancy location or know how to properly take valid pictures. So, my offer to you is as follows:

- I went to ADV rider and saw that 2018 post and posted pictures from there. Not seeing the massive upgrade unfortunately. Too much foreground.

Come over and see for your self. I'll be home all weekend servicing my bike. Since you will want to see how the bulbs work at night, I'll even offer our guest room so you can stay the night. I have some wonderfully dark country roads 1 minute away from my place. Gravel roads and bush trails are just a couple minutes further away. I'll even feed you a couple meals and beer. My location is public, so you can determine your route and calculate travel time. PM me for my street address and contact info.

- lol. A wall shot is good enough - search headlight wall shot retrofit. Should come up with some good examples.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon. If I don't respond quickly, it is because I'm in my workshop doing a valve inspection, but my offer is sincere.
Dave
I wish I had my Versys again the Valve adjustment on my current V engine touring bike is a BITCH and a half. That versys was the bomb to adjust.

·
Premium Member
9,532 Posts
@KipPrdy, ignore the less than helpful replies from those with no experience with these bulbs.

There is a removable mounting base on each bulb. The part that has the alignment tabs on it. It pulls off towards the emitters (away from the fan). This gets installed into the headlight first, and is retained by the wire clip. Then the rubber dust boot is installed (with a hole cut into the centre for the bulb to pass through), he bulb is then installed by pushing it through the dust boot and into the mounting base.

I found that having the bulb vertical produced the best beam pattern on my gen2 V650. You may need to experiment with the rotation of the bulb in your headlights. The headlight aim shouldn't be changed by these bulbs, though you may want to fine tune it now that you will actually have some light to work with.

Hope this helps!
One word , if you have a MK-3 like I have, if you plan on installing a led headlight bulb to reduce load, do so on low beam only. I upgraded from a 2400 lumen LED to what is stated as a 6000 lumen, my opinion is it is 3500 lumen , doing the math and efficiency plus current comparing to my 2400 lumen , = 3500. Spend your money on auxiliary lighting if it is light output you are after , I have the Denali D2 10 watt (DENALI 2.0 D2 TriOptic LED Light Kit with DataDim Technology).
The reflector lenses on the 650 MK-3 just don't work very well , you can either have a good light pattern for planes to land by, or a really good light pattern if you are the pizza delivery guy and want to be able to see the house addresses , if it is your intention to see more of the road you are traveling, well not the best.

The reflector on the MK-3 just sucks period. Until Kawasaki converts to using LED lighting, if you have a MK-3 , save your money if it is better lighting, no regrets changing the low beam as my Osram bulb was closer to 100 Watt @ 14.2 VDC , so 32 watts LED is almost 70 watt gain, almost what the fan draws. OEM on the Versys is 55 watt @ 12 VDC , I have some 65 Watt H7 bulbs that I may want to sell, now obsolete , ( I use them in high beam about 2000 Lumen) Osram no longer makes them.

FYI Watt rating on incandescent bulbs is @ 12 VDC, a increase of voltage on this style of bulb causes a increase in current & wattage & light output. The opposite is true with the new style LED bulbs with driver, most are now rated 9-32 VDC, a increase in voltage decreases the current, wattage remains the same from 9 to 32 VDC, as does light output.

The grey one in post 80 and 90 to 92 is what I removed, and yes the spring clip needed modifying and was provided for by IAMRA https://www.kawasakiversys.com/foru...0-led-headlight-conversion.html?highlight=led

Reactions: BLACK DOG

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
The Denali lights are a bit pricey, but I feel that they gave the most improvement for the least effort and are worth what I spent on them.
I will probably never add any other light than dedicated driving lights.
It's your bike & your life to roll the dice with.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Are there any good quality after market reflector lenses (or even whole headlight assemblies?) for the Mk3? Designed for either LEDs or HIDs, with proper homologation for use on public roads, that are unquestionably better than the stock? I seem to see a few on ebay, but they might be Chinese crap. I'm not after the "fancy" look, I want better visibility at night, not blinding other motorists and no fuss with the law.

Seems like the common denominator between external aux lights, LED bulb replacements and HID bulb replacements is that they will all either blind other motorists or not work efficiently, and their legal use is probably limited.

·
Premium Member
9,532 Posts
Are there any good quality after market reflector lenses (or even whole headlight assemblies?) for the Mk3? Designed for either LEDs or HIDs, with proper homologation for use on public roads, that are unquestionably better than the stock? I seem to see a few on ebay, but they might be Chinese crap. I'm not after the "fancy" look, I want better visibility at night, not blinding other motorists and no fuss with the law.

Seems like the common denominator between external aux lights, LED bulb replacements and HID bulb replacements is that they will all either blind other motorists or not work efficiently, and their legal use is probably limited.
The only one I can recommend is https://www.kawasakiversys.com/foru...tor-lamp-build-versys-2015-farkling-chid.html , possibly you can post in his thread and ask some questions. Unfortunately, I don't see any alternative and have given up on the headlight / LED conversion, I left my latest LED install in place, due to load current reduction. I run my Denali led lights on high almost all the time. The high beam remains with the Osram 65 watt ( truly 100 watt @ 14.2VDC ). Until Kawasaki improves the lenses , I see no alternative using LED.Someone would need to design a LED filament equal to the incandescent , I think at present , that is impossible to achieve .

·
Registered
18 Posts
The only one I can recommend is https://www.kawasakiversys.com/foru...tor-lamp-build-versys-2015-farkling-chid.html , possibly you can post in his thread and ask some questions. Unfortunately, I don't see any alternative and have given up on the headlight / LED conversion, I left my latest LED install in place, due to load current reduction. I run my Denali led lights on high almost all the time. The high beam remains with the Osram 65 watt ( truly 100 watt @ 14.2VDC ). Until Kawasaki improves the lenses , I see no alternative using LED.Someone would need to design a LED filament equal to the incandescent , I think at present , that is impossible to achieve .

are the stock headlights on the 2015 and newer 650 bad? im currently on a drz with stock headlight. ride to work every morning in the dark on highway

·
Premium Member
9,532 Posts
are the stock headlights on the 2015 and newer 650 bad? im currently on a drz with stock headlight. ride to work every morning in the dark on highway
I had a 07 Versys before the 2015, many of us ran the Osram 65 watt ,( Osram #64217 H7 PX26d super bright off-road, I still have some of these and should sell them also a no brand made in Germany 65 watt H7, about 5 of those )https://www.amazon.co.uk/OFF-ROAD-halogen-headlamp-64217-folding/dp/B004UQUXW0 as many of us were doing night riding and off road. The problem is the energy used and these lamps are no longer made, also the 65 Watt is really that at 12 volts DC, at 14.2 VDC it is closer to 100 Watt, consider our power output is 330 watts total, this leaves no room for heated gear or heated grips if you are running with high beam as well. A number have converted to LED on the MK-1 and MK-2, they work fine and you actually save about 60 watts per LED headlight compared to the Osram, the problem comes in on the 2015 on, the reflector is something fancy smantzy , really useless when it comes to LED compared to the round reflectors of the previous models.
So if you want more light you should buy led specific lights such as the Denali I have, other knock offs are coming out with fairly reliable led's now. You can still get the 65 watt H7 , at least the last time I looked, and if interested I could sell you some of my stock. The Osram had something like 500 hour run time, if interested PM me.

Reactions: Leoffensive

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
My headlamps were not aimed at all properly from the factory. Problem 1. Problem 2 is the highbeam just seams weak to me. The low beam is adequate. I commute half city half highway, and the low beam is ok in either scenario. The high beam just doesn't seem to light the distant stuff up well. Maybe it is a bit too diffuse, or maybe I need to work on aiming it lower still.

Problem 3 is energy draw. Now that I have heated gear (jacket and gloves), at engine rpm below about 2500 there isn't enough alternator output with high beams on, so the battery is getting drained when sitting at a stop light. At highway speeds there is enough alternator power, but just. Meaning there is no spare power with high beams on if I were to add heated pants or aux lighting or anything else that needs much power at all. Reducing the power draw on the headlights would free up some power for elsewhere. This is not a big issue at all to me, but I could see for some folks who hang all kinds of aftermarket stuff on their bikes it could become an issue.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Dumb newbie questions.

What's the difference between the F2 and the H7? My 2015 V650 uses H7 bulbs, 55W. Does the Evitek F2 fit this or is it something totally different?

Do LED bulbs put out similar lumens? Apparently the law restricts halogen H7 bulbs in the USA to about 1200-1500 lumens. So would an LED replacement really be any brighter? If they are brighter, are they legal?

Power. Why are the LED bulbs not a very big difference in power? LED bulbs for home use only draw about 20% of the power for the same lumens. Or are they lying to us?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
This is what a good cutoff should look like.
In these photos just one HID projector, but still crazy amount of (good) light.

Never had a car flashing me because of my lights.

projector installation: difficult.... not really..... expensive.....well......quality...

Attachments

121 - 140 of 167 Posts