Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all- Just finished up my foggy install and figured I'd deliver the goods on my (I think) cheap solution. A friend gave me a $100 gift card at Amazon. I decided I would turn that into LED foglights for my V.

Found these guys first- was skeptical due to low price, but am so far very pleased: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E0LH8I2/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This for the harness: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DKWJ1RS/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I read in many reviews of that harness that the included switch was crap, and not intended for outdoor use; so I replaced it with: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Z7L8A2/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The install was fairly straightforward, though I confess it took me a few minutes to suss out how the harness worked and what the relay does. I wanted switched power, but was a bit squeamish about tapping into the existing headlight line. Luckily i found a thread here about the unused accessory port some of our bikes have up by the radiator. I used that for my control power and everything is working nicely.

Results:

and

She's much much wider from the front and definitely more apparent in traffic now. Just what I wanted. Not too shabby for $92.00 or thereabouts. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
16,105 Posts
:thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
612 Posts
Looks good. I did the same a while ago and I feel a LOT more confident of being seen. A few guys I ride with said they really looked good and stood out and now want to do the same.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I want to punch you in the face. I HATE guys that slap super bright blue LEDs on their bikes.

It destroys everyone's night vision, annoys the hell out of anyone in oncoming traffic, and kills your depth perception at night while riding.

Feel free to argue with me on that, I have been riding mountain bikes for years at night. The bluer the led light the worse your depth perception is. That is why I have a "warm" led set up on all my bikes.

But if you want to be seen, this works. But just know that you're being yelled at at least 10x a day by oncoming drivers.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I want to punch you in the face. I HATE guys that slap super bright blue LEDs on their bikes.

It destroys everyone's night vision, annoys the hell out of anyone in oncoming traffic, and kills your depth perception at night while riding.

Feel free to argue with me on that, I have been riding mountain bikes for years at night. The bluer the led light the worse your depth perception is. That is why I have a "warm" led set up on all my bikes.

But if you want to be seen, this works. But just know that you're being yelled at at least 10x a day by oncoming drivers.
Well- That escalated quickly. A couple of points:

1. Having never met me, I understand your brash reaction. I assure you, however, that attempting to punch me in the face would end very badly for you.

2. These lights are not blue. They are white.

3. These lights have been aimed precisely 6 feet ahead of the bike AT THE GROUND.

4. Unlike you standards for work (I presume based on your reaction) I take pride in doing jobs cautiously and thoughtfully. Ie the aiming of these lights has been thoroughly tested against oncoming traffic with my friends in not one, but 2 cars and an SUV to verify a lack of blinding action.

5. There's always a way to make a point without being a dick about it; but you're very unlikely to be able to employ this method without, say, the facts...

:thanx:

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
17.65 covers the lights....but what are the brackets bolted to?
Precisely my point! I was worried about someone stealing them, or if they'd get ruined if the bike went down, so when I found them for under 20 a piece it was the deciding factor for me. Also- The lights are bolted to my beak side filler panels courtesy of our very own Hoghead who makes them in Thailand. SUPER high quality if anyone is looking for a beak, btw. :thumb:

·
Registered
612 Posts

1. Having never met me, I understand your brash reaction. I assure you, however, that attempting to punch me in the face would end very badly for you.

3. These lights have been aimed precisely 6 feet ahead of the bike AT THE GROUND.

4. Unlike you standards for work (I presume based on your reaction) I take pride in doing jobs cautiously and thoughtfully. Ie the aiming of these lights has been thoroughly tested against oncoming traffic with my friends in not one, but 2 cars and an SUV to verify a lack of blinding action.

5. There's always a way to make a point without being a dick about it; but you're very unlikely to be able to employ this method without, say, the facts...

I have to agree 100%. I made sure mine are pointed down enough as to not blind oncoming drivers or ones ahead of me. What I HATE is reading in the news "I never saw them" b**sh*t from cagers who are too lazy to turn their heads when changing lanes or turning left at intersections. People I ride with have said they really help and are not blinding at all.
:right:

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Huh?

possibly the result of a coffee imbalance??

·
Registered
399 Posts
Sorry, I had one to many glasses of scotch :D I don't want to punch anyone in the face.

I am still against any type of LED light that is not "warm" (the color that matches stock OEM headlights) Even white light isn't as good for night time viability.

LED manufactures use super high temp led (color temp) because the higher the color temp the more lumens they can advertise. My "warm" led set up has a much lower lumen count, but visually it is much easier to see at night, and isn't distracting during the day.

It really doesn't matter where you point the lights, just think about that annoying Hummer with a horrible HID conversion. It is bright as sh!t and annoying to everyone around him/her. Doesn't matter if the said truck is on the other side of the highway. It is the color that is annoying.

Speaking about LED lights, my friend is currently in the process of putting together this light for me.
6k actual lumen, with warm LED's. With a high and low mode that is tapped into the stock wiring harness. :)

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry, I had one to many glasses of scotch :D I don't want to punch anyone in the face.

I am still against any type of LED light that is not "warm" (the color that matches stock OEM headlights) Even white light isn't as good for night time viability.

LED manufactures use super high temp led (color temp) because the higher the color temp the more lumens they can advertise. My "warm" led set up has a much lower lumen count, but visually it is much easier to see at night, and isn't distracting during the day.

It really doesn't matter where you point the lights, just think about that annoying Hummer with a horrible HID conversion. It is bright as sh!t and annoying to everyone around him/her. Doesn't matter if the said truck is on the other side of the highway. It is the color that is annoying.

Speaking about LED lights, my friend is currently in the process of putting together this light for me.
6k actual lumen, with warm LED's. With a high and low mode that is tapped into the stock wiring harness. :)
No worries, m8. Hope your install turns out nicely. Post it up when you're done!

·
Registered
99 Posts
The Denali from Twisted throttle actually has hi/low beam. One of my ride buddy installed 2xDX and 2XD2 on his Ninja 1000, he also replaced the headlight with projectors. During hi-speed night rides, he light up the mountain, while the HI/LO beam (partnered with the HI/LO beam switch) makes it sure that on-coming traffic is in check.

I love that setup, but Denali's are expensive, I am thinking of mounting the spotlight on the crash guard (still reviwing the effect of vibration on LED spots) and D2s just above the signal light.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The Denali from Twisted throttle actually has hi/low beam. One of my ride buddy installed 2xDX and 2XD2 on his Ninja 1000, he also replaced the headlight with projectors. During hi-speed night rides, he light up the mountain, while the HI/LO beam (partnered with the HI/LO beam switch) makes it sure that on-coming traffic is in check.

I love that setup, but Denali's are expensive, I am thinking of mounting the spotlight on the crash guard (still reviwing the effect of vibration on LED spots) and D2s just above the signal light.
I would LOVE to see photos of that setup along with some night shots on and off. Sounds like it would be almost like daylight.

Kev

1 - 20 of 32 Posts