Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back awhile ago I mentioned that I was in the process of making an HD (NOT Harley-Davidson... heavy duty...!) radiator cover, and had added a 12V plug to my dash. Weljo questioned the 'switch' which I said was for 'driving lights', and said I'd add pics when completed. :thumb:

So, here they are - finished the 'install' yesterday, then FORCED myself to go for a 230 mile ride today....
:p

So far... NO night riding, so at least they provide GOOD vis. to 'cagers'.:thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
601 Posts
Sharp lookin'

·
Registered
111 Posts
Nicely done and good location for the LED lights...

Go for a night ride and check out the difference.

·
Premium Member
16,217 Posts
Very Nice.:thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Very nice. Wish I'd have thought of that. I just put ADVmonster LED's on SWmotech fairing mounts.

Good Job! :thumb:

·
Registered
267 Posts
well done :thumb:

Are they water proof?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Looking pretty good! I've been looking into som Cree driving LEDs as well on Ebay. What kind and Watts are yours? Can you take a pic of the stock lights shining down the road, and then driving lights on as well? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
19,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nicely done and good location for the LED lights...

Go for a night ride and check out the difference.
I plan to.

Very nice. Wish I'd have thought of that. I just put ADVmonster LED's on SWmotech fairing mounts.

Good Job! :thumb:
I wanted to ensure they were protected if BIG RED falls over - took awhile to come up with a solution.

well done :thumb:

Are they water proof?
Hope so (the box labelled them as "driving lights" so I HOPE they are).

Looking pretty good! I've been looking into som Cree driving LEDs as well on Ebay. What kind and Watts are yours? Can you take a pic of the stock lights shining down the road, and then driving lights on as well? Thanks!
I try to NOT ride at night, but I'll try to do that. :thumb: I seem to remember 1500 lumens....

·
Registered
129 Posts
Good job.

All in for improved visibility day & night.

Like the tucked in light location, and the cover looks clean!

Can't burn the perforated stuff on a plasma burn table (not sure about laser), so waterjet...or you drilled all that? Either way..good stuff.

Dying to know how you managed the rolled edges of the guard. Small pipe die would work on the edges, but the corners look to be pressed.

Plan on making any more? :) -Scott

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Good job.

Can't burn the perforated stuff on a plasma burn table (not sure about laser), so waterjet...or you drilled all that? Either way..good stuff.

Dying to know how you managed the rolled edges of the guard. Small pipe die would work on the edges, but the corners look to be pressed.

I nc plasma perf mtl all the time...just lay the part stock on top of a piece of
16 ga solid (using 250 amp machines)

·
Registered
129 Posts
I nc plasma perf mtl all the time...just lay the part stock on top of a piece of
16 ga solid (using 250 amp machines)
Ok...it can be done but not where i'm at as that 16ga solid ends up as drop/waste. (running 2 hi def plasmas at 400amp) :cheers:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I try to NOT ride at night, but I'll try to do that. :thumb: I seem to remember 1500 lumens....
What's with the lights then? j/k, lol.
I do the same. But I love riding at night! You don't have to ride, just roll it out enough to get to the dark if possible. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
19,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good job.

I made TWO - ONE for the AZ V, t'other for the BC one. Holes were punched in a hydraulic press with 9/16 and 3/8 dies. Edges were 'rolled' on a hydraulic metal 'break', and I believe the piece was 'cut' on the same brake. The pieces that hold the LEDs (held by sheet metal screws), as well as the end pieces that attach the guard to the radiator were cut on a plasma table (then TiG welded the end pieces on). The guards are 'spaced' from the rad with pieces cut from an IKEA plastic cutting-board, held by sheet metal screws.

MORE can be made, but kind of 'spendy' - figure somewhere around $100 WITHOUT LED brackets.

·
Super Moderator
19,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
FINALLY rode at night with my set-up. The LEDs noticeably 'fill-in' the area just in front, and a bit to the sides, but I don't notice much else further out. But I'm happy that they will increase my night-time vis to 'cage' drivers.

:clap:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Looks good.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I fitted these Durite LED lamps to my Versys during the week. Only 5w each, but very bright. I too am not so concerned about night time riding, but I did test them out at night just for fun and they do help.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts