Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A while back I purchased a pair of aux LED driving lights online. This design (shown below) is available from most online stores like Amazon, Ebay, AliExpress, etc. and the price was fantastically cheap. The issue was when they arrived. The bar clamp design prevented me from installing these on my Denali light mounts and they were about as bright as a flashlight which is to say none too bright for auxiliary driving headlights.

My original light purchase, not recommended

I subsequently purchased a a pair of the LED lights (shown below) and installed recently. Despite being physically smaller and sightly lighter than the original LED lights they manage to be much brighter. Holy crap are they bright. They lights up a dimly lit landscape like a UFO just landed. 4000 lumens/each! The beam projects a high intensity narrow focused distance beam. Note I don't think they actually draws 40 watts/each as that would be ridiculously high for an LED lights. I am powering this direct from the high beam circuit without issue.

4 X U2 Cree 4T6 40W 4000 lumen

Got it from AliExpress. They have several identical looking lights on their site at varying price points. I suspect they are all using the same Aluminum housing but different LEDs which provide different amounts of brightness and different price points. Would recommend something that puts out at least 3000 lumens per light.

The construction seems very solid, aluminum casting with a stainless steel mount. With a ~$80 set of these lights I don't really really see the point of forking out huge bucks for a set of Clearwater or Denali lights. LED diodes seem to be like computers and TVs with performance increasing every year with a corresponding decrease in cost.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a set of those; yes BRIGHT. I use them with a Skene Design "IQ-170, Intelligent Lighting Controller". The controller allows them to be daylight running lights at 20% power and 100% on high beams. Along with a headlight modulator I am VISIBLE. Skene Design

Reactions: twowheels

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have a set of those; yes BRIGHT. I use them with a Skene Design "IQ-170, Intelligent Lighting Controller". The controller allows them to be daylight running lights at 20% power and 100% on high beams. Along with a headlight modulator I am VISIBLE. Skene Design
Checked out Skene design from your link. Their Photon Blaster conspicuity system is impressive.

The one thing about the above mentioned aux lights is they are way too bright on full power to not switch off for oncoming traffic so they need to be switched with the high beam.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Read carefully. The IQ controller allows the lights to run at 20% power on low beams and the switch to high beams allows 100%. My lights are arranged in the triangular "locomotive" pattern the railroads use.

Reactions: Jaes1

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have that same red led. I plan to replace my rear reflector with it also. How does it look? When I tried it on my bench it didn't seem that bright. Can't expect much for $2.50.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
These are the other parts I used in my light install

Extra brake light
Direct bolt on replacement for rear fender reflector. Same size and shape. Wires to rear brake light. Cost $2.38US. [ http://www.aliexpress.com/item/E93-...Truck-Trailer-Motorcyclefree/32602893785.html ] I used a few dabs of glue from a hot glue gun on the inside of the rear fender to secure the wires which lead up the inside of the fender to connect to the rear brake light wires.

Connectors
I connected my aux lights with these connectors so they could be removed during maintenace when the fairing and mounts are removed. Cost $2.88US. [ http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...or-Plug-with-Wire-AWG-Marine/32523527699.html ]

Relay
Although not necessary with low draw LED lights, I this relay to power the lights direct from the battery and but switch on and off with the high beam. You could also use this relay as the basis of your own switched power supply by connecting relay trigger to the low beam of headlight. Cost $2.14US [ http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-pi...e-car-relay-black-red-copper/32617801577.html ]
Cool stuff! Excellent photos, prices and sources. :thumb:

One question - will the new auxiliary brake light still act as a reflector in the event of a loss of power to the electric light or a failure of the light element itself?

·
Registered
286 Posts
So many good aux lighting mods going on! Sorry if I didn't read, but did you wind up going with two? The route I chose was about the same except I used a pre-fabbed harness that was matched to the lights I used. The lights and harness in link below.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/mini-auxiliary-lights/10w-mini-aux-2in-modular-led-off-road-work-light/1699/

They are very bright and well built. I need to tweak my mounting method a little but satisfied none the less. I think both the lights, harness and connectors were around $115. The only modification was putting smaller ring lugs on the battery leads. Next tweak will be to use a power source only hot with ignition on to pull in my relay.

·
Registered
96 Posts
All good stuff. So many ways to add aux lighting. I especially like the connectors.

·
Premium Member
7,883 Posts
. LED diodes seem to be like computers and TVs with performance increasing every year with a corresponding decrease in cost.[/QUOTE]

:thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts