Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,
I am a newbie, so please understand the lack of everything. I was cleaning my motorcycle (2015 Versys 650; purchased three weeks ago) for the first time and my bike fell while I was moving three days ago. Since then I have seen this oil coming out from a rear brake part that I cannot name it. Could you tell me what this problem is?

p.s., Just found that whenever I push the rear brake pedal, the oil is coming out.

I really appreciate any help you can provide.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Hood

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If there's no cracks or breaks you may have loosened the banjo bolt on top of the brake line, in that event you'll need to bleed that line to get the air out.
If you don't mind, could you elaborate the process or recommend Youtube video? I see many brake bleeding videos, but no video deals with the banjo bolt. Thank you very much.

· Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
832 Posts
If you don't mind, could you elaborate the process or recommend Youtube video? I see many brake bleeding videos, but no video deals with the banjo bolt. Thank you very much.
The banjo bolt looks like a normal bolt that's on top of the brake line in your 2nd pic, check to see if it's loose if so snug it up but don't over tighten. Follow a good brake bleeding video. Do make sure to get ALL the air out, pumping the brake pedal with the bolt loose sucked in a lot of air. Use a new bottle of brake fluid the type will be listed on top of the reservoir cap under the seat

Attachments

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The banjo bolt looks like a normal bolt that's on top of the brake line in your 2nd pic, check to see if it's loose if so snug it up but don't over tighten.
Just checked the banjo bolt. Not loose but I was able to tighten very little. Don’t see any major damage other than that. I will do the bleeding tomorrow, and post here any progress. Thank you again.

· Registered
537 Posts
Not to be a jerk, but if you don't even know what that part is called, I wouldn't try fixing it yourself. I'd advise taking it to a shop. The brakes are pretty important, and they need to be fixed properly.

· Registered
6,096 Posts
I agree with u. Problem is I have not drove on any major road yet. I will try a simple DIY and see still leaking. Then, I guess I need to rent a truck and trailer. Thanks.
Clean up any spilled brake fluid. It eats plastic and paint.

Tighten up the banjo bolt and see if still leaking when rear brake applied. Check the level in the rear brake reservoir. If low, add a little.

If you do bring the bike to a shop have them change the brake fluid. It is probably due.

· Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
832 Posts
Clean up any spilled brake fluid. It eats plastic and paint.

Tighten up the banjo bolt and see if still leaking when rear brake applied. Check the level in the rear brake reservoir. If low, add a little.

If you do bring the bike to a shop have them change the brake fluid. It is probably due.
@dyun33
As twowheeladdict says. I tried to zoom in your pics, didn't see anything out of the ordinary but did notice a lot of wet spray, possibly brake fluid all over your tire so you may not have any brake fluid in the reservoir be sure to add some before doing anything first, fill only to the MAX line. You may have to pump the brake pedal next, with the reservoir cap on, several times and watch for a leak, could be in the brake hose, the fitting at the banjo bolt, possibly damage to the caliper if it's cracked. Wipe it down well to get it dry before checking. If you have someone that can press on the brake pedal while you look would be better

1 - 10 of 10 Posts