Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! My 2007 V, purchased used, came with a Laser Xtreme exhaust (with cat), and I get some occasional backfire on de-accel. Is it dangerous for the engine ?

·
Super Moderator
20,445 Posts
A back-fire is just the unburned gas igniting in your exhaust 'can'.

Probably 'bugs' your neighbors tho'....

·
Registered
MK3 Versys 650
36 Posts
Its perfectly normal, in fact, the bike is designed to do it.That is the purpose of the secondary air injection system, it allows fresh air into the exhaust so sparks ignite the unburned gas in there. It can hear it on my MKIII Euro 4 Versys with the stock exhaust and many other bikes, my Daytona 675 and Speed Twin both did it with the stock exhausts.

People "tune" enignes to reduce it, but all they are doing is just dumping excess fuel into the exhaust so there is not enough air for it to ignite.

When it happens, with a full system without a catalyzer and baffles, you might see flames:

Do you think those guys don't know how to tune a bike and that they would allow it to happen if it were a problem?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
When it happens, with a full system without a catalyzer and baffles, you might see flames:

View attachment 183327

Do you think those guys don't know how to tune a bike and that they would allow it to happen if it were a problem?
Those bikes get a frame off rebuild after every race weekend, so not the best comparison.

I have a Arrow slip on, and get the occasional gurgle and backfire out of it. I like the sounds it makes and does no harm so I'm cool with it.

·
Registered
MK3 Versys 650
36 Posts
They have a limited number of engines for the entire season, they are sealed and can't be overhauled. The point is, exhaust pops / backfires are normal and a result of a correct tune, in street bikes we even have a system designed to inject air in the exhaust for that to happen, but for some reason people assume its a problem that must be fixed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts