Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I've been reading through the threads and haven't quite found the answer I'm looking for...I can't afford panniers at the moment, so I'm looking into a decent tail bag that can carry a backpacking tent, sleeping bag, and enough storage space for a 3-5 day ride. I'm also curious as to how safe everyone feels these after market bags are. Had a family friend who died after a saddle bag malfunctioned and ended up in his chain at highway speed, so I'm leery about strapping items to my bike. Thanks in advance for the advice! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I had the Gears tailbag (I think it was 50 L) it was a good size and hung just a bit over the sides which was good for weight distribution but shouldn't be any safety concern. It had 4 secure tie down straps with it. And a rain cover.

But. I much prefer my Bags Connection dry bag. About the same price, has better designed tie downs and no rain cover needed as it is water tight. It's a little smaller, but they come in other sizes. Dollar for dollar it's my favourite piece of luggage.

·
Premium Member
16,143 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Don't have one but:
BILT - Explorer Dry Bag - Other Luggage - Luggage - Accessories - Cycle Gear

Here's what I use:
Gander Mountain Sportsmans Bag Large-441570 - Gander Mountain

And:
Attwood Kayak Dry Bag, Safety Yellow - Walmart.com

The Gander Mountain bag has a semi-firm base, which extends out past the bike's grab handles but, access is good because of the zippered flap closure. When using this one, I put my clothes in one of those large plastic storage bags that you evacuate the air from with a vacuum or simple compression (less than $10), just for extra peace of mind.
The Attwood bag is thicker, and I trust it to be more waterproof because by design, it is made for kayaking and it has a roll top closure.

·
Super Moderator
19,130 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,130 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts