Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been flogging this bike as my daily for over a year now. It's mostly good except one tricky issue I have not been able to track down. Riding along normally in second gear for instance if I suddenly whack the throttle wide open above say 3k rpm it sometimes doesn't accelerate fast at all (almost zero accel) and just casually will rev all way to 7-8k extremely slow. However if I roll onto it but still pretty fast it's perfect and doesn't have this issue. Only noticing it in second gear too.

Clutch? No, it's not slipping one bit. Bites great and shifting from 1st to 6th full pin is flawless.

Fuel? I have a power commander in there with a map for aftermarket exhaust. With or without the device connected the problem still exist.

Spark? I put new plugs in recently. Battery age is unknown but starts great even on 10 degree days. A coil could be cracked causing a short? Looked good when I pulled them.

Oil? Doubt this would have anything to do with it. I run Amsoil full synthetic in there since I bought it with 5k miles.

Chain? I do all this work my self, chain is tensioned correctly and is now getting replaced again with front/rear sprockets.

Valves? Yeah they probably need checked but this problem was here way before 15k miles.

Air Filter? Clean as can be.

Mods related to engine. Full Delkevic exhaust, synced throttle body with jumper tube, removed the secondary throttle plates.

History. This bike has been in deep water, snow, mud, salt, jumped ect all the elements all year round.

I checked the TPS and adjusted it using the Power Commander Software, all is good there. Throttle cable might need to be tightened up a bit but this is not the issue. Breather that connects to airbox is leaking, needs replaced.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
183 Posts
if I suddenly whack the throttle wide open above say 3k rpm it sometimes doesn't accelerate fast at all (almost zero accel) and just casually will rev all way to 7-8k extremely slow. However if I roll onto it but still pretty fast it's perfect and doesn't have this issue.
Sounds as if the fueling does not have an "accelerator pump" type setting or function. Like the Yellow mode with a Dobeck EJK.
What happens if you roll on and then go wide open? Maybe the TPS is bad or dirty at wide open?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds as if the fueling does not have an "accelerator pump" type setting or function. Like the Yellow mode with a Dobeck EJK.
What happens if you roll on and then go wide open? Maybe the TPS is bad or dirty at wide open?
Rolling on even pretty fast works perfect. I know about that setting you're talking about too but my chip doesn't support it. TPS sensor voltages are just fine!

·
Registered
183 Posts
OK Just ride around the problem and live happily ever after.

·
Registered
183 Posts
My two-stroke bike has different ignition maps for different gears? Just sayin... As yours only happens in second?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My two-stroke bike has different ignition maps for different gears? Just sayin... As yours only happens in second?
I have only ever noticed it in second, likely its happening in other gears as we 3rd, 4th ect. Doesn't appear to be an option to adjust per gear in the software!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I think you are chasing ghosts! :unsure:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you are chasing ghosts! :unsure:
I wish I was man but it straight up dies with power when I hit it really fast. And It does it every single time. Gets really annoying. It's not like a small power loss it's like the rpm's go up and then it just hangs there until I let go and re apply throttle. It's bad enough that I made this post lol I wouldn't be wasting my time or anyone else!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm guessing, don't have a Versys 650 yet, but plenty of motorcycle experience.
I think you nailed it.
"Breather that connects to airbox is leaking, needs replaced."
It is tuned for the air box.
A sudden application of throttle makes it go lean momentarily.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm guessing, don't have a Versys 650 yet, but plenty of motorcycle experience.
I think you nailed it.
"Breather that connects to airbox is leaking, needs replaced."
It is tuned for the air box.
A sudden application of throttle makes it go lean momentarily.
I never thought it could actually be a problem but I will replace it and see what happens!
Good idea!

·
Super Moderator
20,451 Posts
It's not like a small power loss it's like the rpm's go up and then it just hangs there until I let go and re apply throttle.
THAT sentence sounds to me like your clutch is SLIPPING...!

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
Haven't looked at the service manual, but the fuel pump pressure would be the first thing I would look for.
There have been a few similar posts over the years, in most cases it was the fuel pump.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Haven't looked at the service manual, but the fuel pump pressure would be the first thing I would look for.
There have been a few similar posts over the years, in most cases it was the fuel pump.
I also thought of this. Checking it shouldn't be too hard!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I turned the voltage up a little bit on the TPS from 1000 to 1030, running just a little more rich now. I think 1030 is the highest it should be. Seems to be much better? I had more fuel +20 on low and mid with the PC and it still had that problem though so not sure why this would make that problem be less noticeable. Will keep testing. Maybe it's got to be spot on with fueling!

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
lots of info here

·
Registered
76 Posts
Old SV650 issue fix. The factory stuff settings are good, some are not due to passing emission tests.
Try moving TPS sensor up/down from optimum setting. It worked for my old bike.

Reactions: onewizard
1 - 20 of 21 Posts