Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 Versys X 300
155 Posts
I would like to know why this solution works other than the intake is busted I don't get why this makes it run fine? I also disconnected it the vacuum line completely and it would just shoot fire out of that left hole where the sensor would go that doesn't seem right lol. Like something's definitely busted but I just kind of want to know what it would be with the intake!
Have you used starting fluid or propane to test for vacuum leak?

Do you have too much advance at lower rpm's?

Have you replaced your gear position sensor?

·
Premium Member
2022 Versys X 300
155 Posts
I have not tested for any vacuum leaks but all my lines are fresh.

And what are you talking about gear position sensor? The cam sensor is that what you're talking about?

I don't know what you mean by too much advance at low RPMs. I'm assuming spark which I can't control the power commander only controls fueling.
Vacuum leaks can develop in other places besides hoses. Have you examined your isolators for example? They get hardened and cracked over time and even shrink a bit, loosening their clamps.

The gear position sensor (if your model has one) will be mounted right next to the shift shaft. Even if you don't have a gear position display Kawasaki can use this sensor to make per gear maps for your bike and even limit top speed by placing an RPM cap in 6th gear.

Wasn't sure how powerful your programmer/tuner was...you mentioned flames at the throttle body which tells me spark is igniting the mixture with the intake valves open (true backfire).

·
Premium Member
2022 Versys X 300
155 Posts
I'm not quite sure what an isolator is? A little more detail on that would be great!

Gear position sensor works fine. Tells me when I'm in neutral. I don't think there's any issues with that.

I've also disconnected the power Commander previously just to see if the problem would go away and it made no difference I even swapped ecu's which also made no difference.
This is an isolator:

Just because your gear display is fine doesn't mean your encoder isn't defective. Had a liter bike in my shop that would not rev past 7000rpm in any gear. Turns out the manufacturer set the 186mph top speed limiter by lowering the rev limiter to 7000rpm in 6th gear and the bike "thought" it was always in 6th thanks to a defective encoder.

I saw your other thread about cam gears, have you had the cams out and put something back in wrong or off a tooth?

·
Premium Member
2022 Versys X 300
155 Posts
Those isolators appear to be fine I made sure that the screws were nice and tight I suppose I could check for a leak they are old it is a 2012 bike so 🤷
Appearance isn't everything. Those particular isolators have a metal base, I can tell because they bolt on instead of clamping on, and as such they use an o-ring gasket between the isolator and head. These get squished over time and shrink or even crack and break. I'm not betting the farm it's your problem but worth a look for sure and it's an example of where vacuum leaks can occur besides hoses.

·
Premium Member
2022 Versys X 300
155 Posts
Yeah I will investigate that for sure but yeah I'm not 100% sure that's the issue either because it's intermittent I believe if it was a vacuum leak it would be like a constant problem because sometimes it would run perfectly and others it wouldn't and why specifically under 4,000 RPM makes no sense.
Motors pull less vacuum at higher revs so it makes perfect sense.

All I know from your posts is that it appears you have a vacuum leak issue, you're swapping hoses around and it appears to run better, maybe the swapping is canceling out some of the leak or sharing the leak with both throttle bodies. If you can just find the source of the leak in the first place you'll be golden. That's why I suggested propane or starting fluid, it's a cheap and instant way to detect a leak.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts