Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
I don't think I'd ever be comfortable lane splitting in my home-town.. too many people in their own little bubble not paying attention. Filtering at a light on the other hand, I'd be all over that...too bad that's the illegal part in this bill passing. :p

·
Registered
774 Posts
It is a start. No filtering to the front at a light though.

I wonder how many roads, other than interstates, in Oregon are 50 mph or more, and multi-laned.

Very, very few. The ones that are never see enough traffic to allow for splitting as it is written :D

I've been watching the bill become a law and I guess the nicest thing I could say is that it is a start. I can't think of any roads that I ride that would I would actually be able to split lanes. The only two lane roads(other than going through Portland) I can think of that are over 50 mph never see enough traffic to slow down enough to let the law be used. I suppose if there was an accident that stopped traffic but that would be pretty rare.

Maybe some of the city guys will be able to use it more.:goodluck:

·
Registered
245 Posts
I filter everyday in DC, was actually just talking to my friend about it a minute ago. Its a gray area in DC, there is technically no specific law addressing it in the district. I have rolled past cops many times too; I think they just have better things to worry about.

In Virginia (2 miles away) on the other hand ... it's considered freaking Reckless Driving! F that place ...

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
hope they make it legal here then i wont have to worry as much about the cops when im filtering

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think I'd ever be comfortable lane splitting in my home-town.. too many people in their own little bubble not paying attention. Filtering at a light on the other hand, I'd be all over that...too bad that's the illegal part in this bill passing. :p
I'm just the opposite. It'd be nice to go to the front at lights, but I can live without that. It's getting stuck in highway traffic jams when it's 90°+ outside that bothers me. Not that much, because I'll split in those conditions anyway, but I'd still rather it'd be legal.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm just the opposite. It'd be nice to go to the front at lights, but I can live without that. It's getting stuck in highway traffic jams when it's 90°+ outside that bothers me. Not that much, because I'll split in those conditions anyway, but I'd still rather it'd be legal.
See and I'd still consider that filtering, as traffic is slowed/stopped. It's the splitting at speed that freaks me out...unless you mean you'd go ripping down the center strip at regular highway speeds.. in which case.. yeah no... I don't trust people not to do something stupid.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Smaller vehicles should be able to move around larger vehicles. That's it, case closed.

Any Questions, comments?

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I know Alabama has a law that says no lane sharing. They don't enforce it for motorcycles riding side by side in most areas. In states without clear rules, you have to deal with the jealous cater who thinks that if he/she has to wait, than you should have to wait. They are the ones that try and block your progress.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
When the cars are still and packed or congested is the hardest part. It's body leaning and trials flicking while moving to miss those big azz mirrors, especially on trucks; but when they are stopped, your dual horn is useless. If you aren't prepared when the light changes, they will nudge you over (if they could!)

·
Premium Member
16,111 Posts
When the cars are still and packed or congested is the hardest part. It's body leaning and trials flicking while moving to miss those big azz mirrors, especially on trucks; but when they are stopped, your dual horn is useless. If you aren't prepared when the light changes, they will nudge you over (if they could!)

When a freeway is shut down because of an accident you have to be careful splitting because people will open their doors to get out to see whats going on. Also they wander off with the door left wide open then you have to dodge them while they aren't paying attention and come walking out between cars.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Texas has a bill pending that would allow splitting in conditions similar to what has been proposed in Oregon. Given how Texans drive, I'm not sure I'd lane split even if it were legal. There is a meanness on the roads down here, especially with pick up trucks, that really sucks. You gotta watch out all the time. For some reason these drivers hate anyone that isn't just like them.

Out
West

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't think I'd ever be comfortable lane splitting in my home-town.. too many people in their own little bubble not paying attention.
After years of daily lane-splitting in Los Angeles, I can tell you that you're safer if you're unseen. When people see you, they do stupid things.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts