Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to do a couple long bad-road rides, including some with a lot of sand. So, I'm interested in a set of the off-roadie-iest tires out there.

For the front: it seems easy: TKC 80. Folks I know that run em on different bikes love em.

So, rears:

Trail Wing TW152

Karoo's

Karoo 3's

heidenau K60

That's my short list. Any first-hand experience with these? What am I overlooking?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
K60 all the way. :thumb: I have limited experience with it. And so far it's a very well mannered tire on most terrains. And from what I've seen on other bikes that have run it they perform very well with the TKC and Heidenau combo.

·
Registered
254 Posts
K60 all the way. :thumb: I have limited experience with it. And so far it's a very well mannered tire on most terrains. And from what I've seen on other bikes that have run it they perform very well with the TKC and Heidenau combo.
Why do Versys riders only use the 120/70 front TKC, but not the 150/70 TKC rear? I like the looks of what you are running, I'm just curious why you and just about every other forum member who runs knobbies avoids the TKC rear. I have no experience with any of these tires.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Pirelli offers their MT-60 in the correct sizes for the Versys. It's a 60/40 tread pattern. If you want something a little more street oriented, Avon Distenzia offers the right sizes and a 80/20 tread pattern.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Why do Versys riders only use the 120/70 front TKC, but not the 150/70 TKC rear? I like the looks of what you are running, I'm just curious why you and just about every other forum member who runs knobbies avoids the TKC rear. I have no experience with any of these tires.
From what I've seen the TKC's wear pretty quick on the rear of most bikes. So to avoid changing it out after 4-5K miles they opt for a tire with a little more longevity like the K60. As I stated I have only 300 miles on the combo so I can't give you too much information. BUT I have seen this combo for years here in AK.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah - as AlaskaJeff states, the TKC rear is said to have a really short life when on pavement. I'll need to do decently long pavement runs to get to the fun stuff, so 20/80 or 30/70 seems to what I'm thinking of (not 80/20).

I've had Distancia's - not a fan (off the pavement). I'd rather run my current Shinko 705 rear than Avon.

I think the K60's are the ones. I like the continuous band of rubber around the center. Seems that that'll smooth out the straight highway bits, and add life.

·
Registered
244 Posts
You might want to take a look at the Mitas E-07. No first hand experience here but I plan to try a rear once my Tourance wears out.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You might want to take a look at the Mitas E-07. No first hand experience here but I plan to try a rear once my Tourance wears out.
Interesting, another option I'd never heard of. I'm looking for something proven, so report back in a few 1000 miles :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
805 Posts
Is that front tire listed as a rear? 120-90-17
Also what method did you use to raise your front fender, and does it still cover the shock piston?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts