Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the Icon Stryker knee armor? It has two lower straps on the calf but nothing that holds the knee protection to the thigh. It seems like it would move around and not be in the right place during a fall.

Other guards seems to put a third strap up top. That seems like a better design.

I'm having a tough time finding a set that provide good protection, can be hidden under jeans, and are 'relatively' comfortable to wear.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Does anyone have the Icon Stryker knee armor? It has two lower straps on the calf but nothing that holds the knee protection to the thigh. It seems like it would move around and not be in the right place during a fall.

Other guards seems to put a third strap up top. That seems like a better design.

I'm having a tough time finding a set that provide good protection, can be hidden under jeans, and are 'relatively' comfortable to wear.
Have something similar

Can't remember the brand/model ...

2 straps, both under the knee and holding pretty well in place... No complaint on that departement, always wear them under mesh pants, either over regular pant or over naked leg when wearing shorts

So no worry for them being displays during the ride, 2 straps under the knee works

LOP

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the Alpinestars Reflex knee guards. They just have two straps for the lower leg. I where them under Kevlar jeans so I have no issues then. One time I tried to wear them over the pants and I imagine I looked ridiculous on the bike (thankfully it was at 6 in the morning) since the knee part of the guard just jutted forward.
The Vapor knee guard looks nice.

All in all my recommendation is if these are going underneath pants it won't matter since the pants will hold the top down. If you are wearing these with shorts or on top of the pants get something with a thigh strap.

·
Registered
770 Posts
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=68385

I have the old style Icon Fieldarmor ones. They provide a significant amount of protection. Their only failing is that while walking around they want to slip down your leg a bit. Also like any leg armor you will need a loose cut pant to wear it underneath. My protection of choice is these + Draggin Jeans Kevlar liners or Sliders Kevlar jeans.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks all for chiming in.

I forgot to mention I wear Drayko and bought then returned the Strykers. They kept sliding down. When I pushed even slightly on the side they moved right off my knee cap. I don't know the stats but I doubt my knee would hit dead straight in an off. More likely I'd slide and knee would hit at an angle.

(Alpinestars reflex) pretty much same design as the Strykers. When I read the reviews one had the same complaint that it needs a strap above the knee.

The pants seem to have pockets armor slides in. With no straps holding it to my cap I expect it won't be in the right place when my knee goes down and will likely move when you start tumbling and pants bunch up and twist.

The Vapor is the closest to the design I'd like. That cap is too massive (look bad under even baggy jeans) though and doesn't look like there is much articulation. I figure great for offroad racing where looks and walking don't matter at all but not as functional for street riding.

I know I'm being picky and taking a lot of guesses at what would happen but I think my train of thought is accurate. I'm going to keep looking around.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have a pair of SixSixOne knee pads, about 4 or 5 years old, I wear under heavy jeans or overpants. Has 2 straps and stays well put.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I wear Knox flex lite knee armor one strap only very comfy and light

·
Registered
409 Posts
I also have the Alpinestars Reflex, and I don't have any problem with them moving around. My jeans are a normal fit (not 1970s rock star tight nor 2000s gangster baggy) and they fit comfortably snugly over the knee guards and help keep them still. Plus, as twowheeladdict noted, they fit down into my boots, which also keeps them in place.

I also often wear full-on riding pants. But for short rides, I sometimes just put the knee pads under jeans and I really feel that all I'm giving up is some abrasion protection. My true riding pants are loose enough that the knee pads could be out of position when I need them most. I'm at least as confident the Alpinestars would stay in place.

They're no good for walking, though. I tried a two-mile walk in them once and had raw spots on my knees that hurt by the time I got back to the bike. Never again.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I like the look of the Knox Lite type. Unobtrusive. Can anybody say how any of these feel after 6 or 7 hours in the saddle? In hot weather? Does that elastic part get sweaty and irritable or binding?
Good thread, these may be my next purchase.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
EVS SP knee guards

I couldn't be happier with this purchase. Above the knee strap keeps the cup right on top of my knee cap where I need it. There is an elastic band between the knee cup and shin protection so you can comfortably bend and keep the armor in place. There are pads and hard plastic pieces on the side which is where I expect to take an initial hit in a fall.

Attachments

·
Registered
377 Posts
Heya blip Ive worn the Knox's riding from Melbourne to Sydney in one hit around 11 hours in the saddle, no dramas. They have ventilation holes in the protective foam and the stretchy fabric acts just like a sock around your knee, you don't even know they are there when your riding.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
don't become complacent about the risk of crashing!

I see a lot of people riding in jackets and gloves but without leg protection. I've been limping around this last week, unable to bend my leg due to swelling, with no skin on my knee all resulting from a ~30-50ft slide on pavement in jeans. I can now say with certainty jeans, even heavy jeans, are not abrasion resistant. I obviously wish I had been wearing knee pads or motorcycle pants now. The point being I hope people will avoid drifting into complacency about the risk of crashing, like I did, and always wear armored, abrasion resistant, motorcycle pants or knee guards under kevlar motorcycle jeans because jeans wear through in maybe the first 1ft of a slide and road rash is like someone braising your skin with a blow torch.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts