Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously considering a Versys 650 to replace my KLR, used for 10 years of commuting. I'm wondering how they compare as workhorses - I typically load on heavy tool kits, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Doing this is Vancouver - so also interested in performance in heavy, heavy rain on the N shore.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I commute ~100 km with a Pelican 1550 as a top box, plus a large tank bag. It is not uncommon for me to have a large insulated hard sided bag with a big slow cooker inside it strapped on top of the Pelican. Or to add 20L/ea saddle bags and the insulated bag to go grocery shopping for a weeks worth of food for 3. Or to put 48 500mL cans of beer into that insulated bag. Or to have the saddle bags and ~100L of other bags strapped on for a "well supplied" weekend camping trip. When I needed new tires for the boat trailer, the two 15" wheels were strapped on top of the Pelican for a ride into town and back...

I ride with KLR's on trails and access roads, and have to pay attention to not to leave them behind on the highways.

I have a tall aftermarket windshield and ride in all weather that I consider safe. That includes heavy rain and occasional snow. No excuses required.

Hope that answers your questions.
Dave

·
Super Moderator
19,412 Posts
MANY of us came to the V from the KLR. Here's a pic of my V650 on a cross-Canada ride the summer of '17.

I camped every day but one (25 day ride), and rode in some VERY heavy rain. No problemo!

Here's camp, day ONE, w/ my gear hanging to dry.

The V handles heavy rain PDG, as long as YOU do!

>:)

·
Registered
331 Posts
the Versys is the better commuter by a lot. the KLR wins in the dirt. ya, there is cross over and arguments can be made but thats the nut of it. I finally sold my KLR & replaced it with a KLX as a better fit for places I don't want to take the Versys. and BTW, I bought the V to downsize from the GS

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Welcome From South Central Ontario

:welcome:https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/5-member-introductions/205361-valuable-links-wizard-member-intro.html
As to your question, I have ridden 2 up, consider the weight of a passenger, plus I have the Givi top case, and side cases, normal load is 35 pounds,, plus the cases, I ride with all my heated gear along, stop and go kit, chain lube, extra tools, prop stand, a second version of tire plugging kit, extra clothing, extra different temperature gloves, 3 bottles of water plus my refillable water bottles ( hard to believe but true, you can't believe how many times I have been out riding and someone in the group needs to stop in a town for WATER) My point is, it will do 130KM/HR all day, no problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts