Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi folks new guy here im currently the owner of an 07 ultra classic been thinking of going dual sport was wondering is the versys a good dual sport or does the klr650 make a better dual sport i have never rode one of these (except a 2minute test on a klr 650) any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
272 Posts
the KLR is a dual sport IMO were the Versys is meant for the roads ,not alot of clearance and the muffler is way to low to go through a stream . front fender is also too low god I love my Versys thou

·
Registered
440 Posts
For Dual-Sport, KLR all the way. More aggressive tires would help on dirt/gravel roads, but the Versys seems biased more toward street riding.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I use to have a KLR and switched to the Versys because I was looking for a road bike with the feel of the KLR, but if you want dual sport, go with the KLR. The Versys is a road bike than can do a bit of gravel road.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I use to have a KLR and switched to the Versys because I was looking for a road bike with the feel of the KLR, but if you want dual sport, go with the KLR. The Versys is a road bike than can do a bit of gravel road.
Sorry to be contradicting but the Versys may not be the dual-sport ride that a KLR is but it does have some good off-road abilities. If you are going to do a lot off-road then I would go for the KLR, but if you are leaning towards a mixed use with the bias towards road use - I'd go for the Versys.

On my recent trip to West Virginia I took the Versys down some rough logging roads. I thought I was going to toast my Versys on these roads but it managed just fine. One section was through a foot of water. I couldn't believe I did that but the Versys pulled through fine. Another section was a series of pot holes. I didn't mean to steer for it but I ended up in them anyway and I thought I was going to fold the forks under the bike but it managed.

I think the Versys could do more off road but it does need a bit of beefing up to be more off-road oriented and of course different tires.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have an '08 V (Wife's.), and I had an '05 KLR (Also, wife's.). I'm about to get another V and a KLR, FWIW. If you want a true d-s, get the Killer. If you want an adventure-tourer, it depends on how much you're going to ride off-road, and how rough that off-roading will be. The KLR is better off-road. The V is better on-road. For more than 25%, or so, off-road, or for more serious off-roading, I'd go KLR. I think they're both good enough to own one of each. The V is the best-balanced road bike I've ever had. And I've had a bunch. Good stuff for practical, public road riding.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just can't see taking the Versys off-road much... I could take my KLR across a hay field full-tilt and she was smooth as glass (Racetech up front and Moab in the rear). I think that same run would make my Versys very unhappy.. of course I'll never find out because the street oriented tires would also be very unhappy. I could see low speed two-track, gravel, even shallow water crossing, buy the peg-to-seat is too short to stand for long, and there is not much clearance for getting over rocks, ruts, roots, etc.

I know you can take a Versys off-road... just don't think its something you will enjoy doing. I think taking the Versys off-road is like taking the KLR on the Interstate.... it'll work, but when you get there, you'll know it's not really where she wants to be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts